Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #76 (permalink)

I think by Monday it will be announced that Flip Saunders will take the job. He has stated multiple times on the radio that if offered the job, he would never turn it down. I think the speculation on Smart is just that, speculation.

I would like to hear who will take the wolves job if Addelman steps down, because of his wife's health. I would like to throw Sam Mitchell's name out there. Always loved him as a player for us, and would love to see him coach us.

My feelings on Tuby Smith are this, he is a great coach and even greater man. Even six years later, I wonder why he took the job? He must have believed the last AD about the practice facilities. Damn shame that are crappy Football program effects others as it does. Always buying out contracts of crappy coaches.
Currently starting on a set of 96-97 Topps Chrome Refractors all PSA 9. lMK if looking to sell something I may need thanks. Currently Have 1 of 220 and bidding on one more currently.Exquisite Auto's of Thurman Thomas in Bills jersey
itsinusall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #77 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Lol Flip Saunders..
groundsupport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Lol Flip Saunders..
Lol Appalachian State...
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #79 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Lol Minnesota period..
groundsupport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #80 (permalink)

Here is a list of coaches that the Gophers are said to be persuing!

Shaka Smart (VCU)
Flip Saunders (Former Timberwolves/Wizards coach)
Buzz Williams (Marquette)
Tiny Bennett (Virginia)
Jay Wright (Villanova)
Anthony Grant (Alabama)
Fred Hoiberg (Iowa St.)
Tim Miles (Nebraska)
Eric Musselman (Arizona St.)
Greg Marshall (Wichita St.)
Ben Jacobson (Northern Iowa)
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/hotshotter/Sports%20Cards/
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_123 View Post
Here is a list of coaches that the Gophers are said to be persuing!

Shaka Smart (VCU)
Flip Saunders (Former Timberwolves/Wizards coach)
Buzz Williams (Marquette)
Tiny Bennett (Virginia)
Jay Wright (Villanova)
Anthony Grant (Alabama)
Fred Hoiberg (Iowa St.)
Tim Miles (Nebraska)
Eric Musselman (Arizona St.)
Greg Marshall (Wichita St.)
Ben Jacobson (Northern Iowa)
Gophers should only be considering these. If they hire anyone else, firing Tubby was worthless.
Current Wantlist: Tiger Woods autographed framed memorabilia, Autograph baseballs of H. Killebrew, R. Carew, K. Puckett, B. Blyleven, M. Kemp, C. Kershaw, S. Castro, E. Longoria, and R. Cano. Must be from reputable authenticators (JSA, UDA, Steiner, etc.)
jand8791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #82 (permalink)

Aside from Saunders, and maybe Wright, I don't see why the other coaches would want to make a lateral move by going to Minnesota.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Aside from Saunders, and maybe Wright, I don't see why the other coaches would want to make a lateral move by going to Minnesota.
Agreed. Don't see Shaka making the move nor Hoiberg. Leading candidate right now has to be Saunders followed by Jay Wright and Buzz.
Current Wantlist: Tiger Woods autographed framed memorabilia, Autograph baseballs of H. Killebrew, R. Carew, K. Puckett, B. Blyleven, M. Kemp, C. Kershaw, S. Castro, E. Longoria, and R. Cano. Must be from reputable authenticators (JSA, UDA, Steiner, etc.)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
Exactly... Who will they replace him with? Someone better? Probably not.
The guy has been in the Top half of the Big Ten talent wise every year since his arrival, and he's never finished above 6th. In a year where he absolutely needs to sign recruits, he doesn't have a SINGLE player ranked in the top 50 at their position.

Now you can rip the Gopher program all you want, but there is absolutely no freaking way you can tell me that there isn't a coach out there who could do better. That's such an embarrassingly ignorant thing to say I don't even know where to start.

We are talking about the only D1 school in a 300 mile radius of a 3 million person metro area. Some of you clowns are on here talking like Minnesota is Savannah State!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Lol Flip Saunders..
Flip Saunders would coach circles around the vast majority of the Big Ten. It takes an entirely different level of excellence to succeed as an NBA coach, as numerous longtime power college coaches can attest. If you can't coach in the NBA, you get fired in a week. Most of the time you get fired even if you can coach. Coaching mistakes at the college level are only remembered until the next big recruit signs.

And the reason the job is generating interest is because the top 3 players in the state of Minnesota's 2014 recruiting class would single handedly make any Big Ten team a contender - as freshmen. Tubby may have lasted another year if not for the fact that he had zero chance of landing these kids, but he was on his way out next year either way.

Last edited by Jwhoops; 03-26-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Jwhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #86 (permalink)

I honestly think Flip would be a great coach for the Gophers..and we ALL know he WOULD take it in a HEARTBEAT! But I'd be very happy with Shaka, Buzz, or Jay. I am undecided on Hoiberg. But I think any of the 5 would do a spectacular job! But I think the ones that stand the best chance of getting Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis would be Saunders, Smart, and Buzz Williams! I only have Saunders in there because he would REALLY prepare kids for the next level considering he knows what you need to have to be an NBA talent.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #87 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Jwhoops;4553348]The guy has been in the Top half of the Big Ten talent wise every year since his arrival, and he's never finished above 6th. In a year where he absolutely needs to sign recruits, he doesn't have a SINGLE player ranked in the top 50 at their position.

Now you can rip the Gopher program all you want, but there is absolutely no freaking way you can tell me that there isn't a coach out there who could do better. That's such an embarrassingly ignorant thing to say I don't even know where to start.

We are talking about the only D1 school in a 300 mile radius of a 3 million person metro area. Some of you clowns are on here talking like Minnesota is Savannah State![/QUOTE]

I get that Minnesota is not a premier basketball school and doesn't compare to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, etc. but you guys act like the school is in fly-over country. U of M is the 6th largest university in the nation by enrollment located in the Twin Cities with a population of over 3 million. You get a top coach and you can really start to turn the tide in the Big Ten.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #88 (permalink)

The Gophers would be extraordinarily lucky to land Flip Saunders if he is up for the job. The days of programs like Michigan St and Wisconsin poaching the Twin Cities' talent would be over.

I don't know if it will happen, but I know that the U of M could do much, much worse than Flip and still come out way ahead vs another year of Tubby.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #89 (permalink)

[QUOTE=jand8791;4553547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhoops View Post
The guy has been in the Top half of the Big Ten talent wise every year since his arrival, and he's never finished above 6th. In a year where he absolutely needs to sign recruits, he doesn't have a SINGLE player ranked in the top 50 at their position.

We are talking about the only D1 school in a 300 mile radius of a 3 million person metro area. Some of you clowns are on here talking like Minnesota is Savannah State![/QUOTE]

I get that Minnesota is not a premier basketball school and doesn't compare to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, etc. but you guys act like the school is in fly-over country. U of M is the 6th largest university in the nation by enrollment located in the Twin Cities with a population of over 3 million. You get a top coach and you can really start to turn the tide in the Big Ten.
Exactly correct. It shouldn't be that difficult to see. Tubby was great for fans of the Big 10 powers that got to poach Twin Cities talent without any fear of having to take on a legit Gopher squad on the court. Tubby was far from great for Minnesota basketball.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #90 (permalink)

My first reaction was this was a dumb move by Minny. Kind of reminds me of Illinois and Bruce Weber last year except the Illini's collapse was a plane crash compared to Minnesota this year, they won a game in the tourney for pete's dragon. But maybe it was just time for a change of scenery for Tubby and the Minnesota players.They definitely under-achieved, even in a very competitive Big Ten. Even if they don't get Shaka, maybe they'll get that guy from La Salle or another good mid-major coach.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Flip Saunders would coach circles around the vast majority of the Big Ten. It takes an entirely different level of excellence to succeed as an NBA coach, as numerous longtime power college coaches can attest. If you can't coach in the NBA, you get fired in a week. Most of the time you get fired even if you can coach. Coaching mistakes at the college level are only remembered until the next big recruit signs.

And the reason the job is generating interest is because the top 3 players in the state of Minnesota's 2014 recruiting class would single handedly make any Big Ten team a contender - as freshmen. Tubby may have lasted another year if not for the fact that he had zero chance of landing these kids, but he was on his way out next year either way.
I watched Saunders 'coach' for 2 seasons, he stunk. Could he do better in the college game? I'd sure hope so.

The Minnesota job isn't generating interest, though. (depending on your definition of 'interest', though).
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
The Gophers would be extraordinarily lucky to land Flip Saunders if he is up for the job. The days of programs like Michigan St and Wisconsin poaching the Twin Cities' talent would be over.

I don't know if it will happen, but I know that the U of M could do much, much worse than Flip and still come out way ahead vs another year of Tubby.
Forgive me for not following recruiting (or really caring), but when has Michigan State been "poaching" your recruits lately?

Starting lineup consists of 2 guys from Michigan, 1 from Ohio, and 2 from Indiana.

You know how you get the best kids from the state of Minnesota to go there? By having a quality program that makes them go there.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
I watched Saunders 'coach' for 2 seasons, he stunk. Could he do better in the college game? I'd sure hope so.

The Minnesota job isn't generating interest, though. (depending on your definition of 'interest', though).
Look at what Saunders did in Minnesota has a head coach! He was spectacular! Then he went to the Wizards team that was absolute trash. Saunders would do spectacular with the Gophers. He is a brilliant mind, he would get recruits from MN and he would get what he wanted from his players
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Lol Minnesota period..
Because east Lansing is paradise? Please. Izzo has shown the impact a coach can have on recruiting, and on overcoming recruiting obstacles such as geography/blight.
burke23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Forgive me for not following recruiting (or really caring), but when has Michigan State been "poaching" your recruits lately?

Starting lineup consists of 2 guys from Michigan, 1 from Ohio, and 2 from Indiana.

You know how you get the best kids from the state of Minnesota to go there? By having a quality program that makes them go there.
Tyus Jones. You should probably acquaint yourself with that name.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Tyus Jones. You should probably acquaint yourself with that name.
I've heard about him, but I doubt he's going to Michigan State. Izzo doesn't get guys that highly recruited usually for whatever reason.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
I've heard about him, but I doubt he's going to Michigan State. Izzo doesn't get guys that highly recruited usually for whatever reason.
Sounds like more than any other coach out there, he is all over Tyus's jock (including showing up at the state championship game Saturday to watch him play 3hours after the msu game).
burke23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Lol Minnesota period..
Entire state of Michigan is the buttcrack of America. Why are people moving from Michigan to Minnesota and surrounding states? To keep their families safe and find a paying job.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #99 (permalink)

VCU's Shaka Smart agrees to contract extension - College Basketball - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Good thing Tubby was fired!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #100 (permalink)

Gophers didn't have a shot at him. If he was going to leave VCU, it would have only been for UCLA.

Minnesota is targeting either Flip or a mid-major, under-the-radar coach.