Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #101 (permalink)

Star Tribune posted on Facebook that Shaka is staying with VCU. Maybe after Flip re-retires we can go for him.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
A sack of rocks would be better than tubby. I think you are genuinely concerned that the gophers wont be an auto-win on the schedule anymore.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhoops View Post
A sack of rocks would be better than tubby. I think you are genuinely concerned that the gophers wont be an auto-win on the schedule anymore.
Not even close. The guy just got a raw deal. Besides, Minnesota hasn't been an automatic win for MSU lately anyhow.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #104 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jand8791 View Post
Entire state of Michigan is the buttcrack of America. Why are people moving from Michigan to Minnesota and surrounding states? To keep their families safe and find a paying job.
Oh good one.. Just remember that when your riding in your dads chevy son..
groundsupport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #105 (permalink)

New News that the Gophers are reportedly going after Hoiberg and Stevens now that Shaka is out.
Twinsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #106 (permalink)

Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsfan33 View Post
New News that the Gophers are reportedly going after Hoiberg and Stevens now that Shaka is out.
They'll both shut Minnesota down quickly. Lateral moves don't make much sense.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Not even close. The guy just got a raw deal. Besides, Minnesota hasn't been an automatic win for MSU lately anyhow.
Would you care to try and justify that with anything or are you just going to keep saying it? He didn't win, his players didn't like him, his players didn't develop, and his recruiting was in the tank. Same deal that was about to get him fired at Kentucky. I'd really like to hear you try and justify some of the garbage you are typing on this thread.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Would you care to try and justify that with anything or are you just going to keep saying it? He didn't win, his players didn't like him, his players didn't develop, and his recruiting was in the tank. Same deal that was about to get him fired at Kentucky. I'd really like to hear you try and justify some of the garbage you are typing on this thread.
They won their first tournament game (that still counts) since 1989 I believe?

Sorry, Minnesota isn't some prestigious program like the AD at Minnesota apparently thinks it is. I'm glad he got fired from Kentucky though, it's the reason Draymond Green didn't go there and instead, went to MSU.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #110 (permalink)

You are gonna skip the 1997 final four so you can justify saying a bunch of stupid things?

Clearly the NCAA penalties were a disaster for the program, and Dan Monson was a horrible hire as well. But Monson being a dumpster fire doesn't give Tubby a free ride.

Not only has Tubby never once coached his talent to acceptable results, he was signing 2 star prospects from Chicago while Wisconsin poaches the in-state talent and wins conference titles.

A "raw deal" would have been his firing 2 years ago, when it was obvious he was on his way out. He is lucky he got to coach the team this year, and the team was still mediocre at best.

And your assessment that the Minnesota program should accept mediocrity given all its natural advantages is ridiculous and self serving on your part. Nobody is saying Minnesota is some power program that can run out and get Brad Stevens whenever they want. That is an interpretation you've come up with to justify why Tubby shouldn't have been canned. There is a huge, huge middle ground between Shaka Smart and a mediocre, past his prime coach like Tubby Smith. Minnesota will very likely end up with a coach not as good as Shaka, but way better than Tubby. Not sure why this is so impossible to acknowledge.

Last edited by Jwhoops; 03-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Jwhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #111 (permalink)

Minnesota isn't a basketball power nor will they be. Get over it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #112 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
You are gonna skip the 1997 final four so you can justify saying a bunch of stupid things?

Clearly the NCAA penalties were a disaster for the program, and Dan Monson was a horrible hire as well. But Monson being a dumpster fire doesn't give Tubby a free ride.

Not only has Tubby never once coached his talent to acceptable results, he was signing 2 star prospects from Chicago while Wisconsin poaches the in-state talent and wins conference titles.

A "raw deal" would have been his firing 2 years ago, when it was obvious he was on his way out. He is lucky he got to coach the team this year, and the team was still mediocre at best.

And your assessment that the Minnesota program should accept mediocrity given all its natural advantages is ridiculous and self serving on your part. Nobody is saying Minnesota is some power program that can run out and get Brad Stevens whenever they want. That is an interpretation you've come up with to justify why Tubby shouldn't have been canned. There is a huge, huge middle ground between Shaka Smart and a mediocre, past his prime coach like Tubby Smith. Minnesota will very likely end up with a coach not as good as Shaka, but way better than Tubby. Not sure why this is so impossible to acknowledge.
Just give up trying to get the and1 crowd in this thread to understand. The incredible lack of actual basketball knowledge on this entire forum has Wooden rolling in his grave.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
Just give up trying to get the and1 crowd in this thread to understand. The incredible lack of actual basketball knowledge on this entire forum has Wooden rolling in his grave.
I forgot how good basketball was in Minnesota.

I guess I'm not seeing whatever you are.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm not forgetting it, it just doesn't exist, check the record books, it didn't end up counting.

And Tubby Smith isn't mediocrity. Haven't seen anyone outside of Minnesota fans that are happy he got fired.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #115 (permalink)

Once again, we have you two Michigan clowns trying to argue against a fabricated person arguing that Minnesota is some sort of national power. That person doesn't exist.

Let me try to clarify this again.

Should the Gophers be able to finish higher than 6th in the Big XII once every 10 years?It is indisputable that the Twin Cities metro and surrounding area has enough talent for this to happen. Minnesota basketball isn't nearly as good as Michigan or Illinois, but its no Iowa or Nebraska. Probably pretty close to Wisconsin. And of course, none of those schools have their entire state to themselves. Recruiting footprint alone indicates the Gophers can be a factor in the Big Ten on a regular basis and history shows this, despite two disastrous hires in the last decade.

Of course, if you could actually answer this question, you would've done it by now.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Once again, we have you two Michigan clowns trying to argue against a fabricated person arguing that Minnesota is some sort of national power. That person doesn't exist.

Let me try to clarify this again.

Should the Gophers be able to finish higher than 6th in the Big XII once every 10 years?It is indisputable that the Twin Cities metro and surrounding area has enough talent for this to happen. Minnesota basketball isn't nearly as good as Michigan or Illinois, but its no Iowa or Nebraska. Probably pretty close to Wisconsin. And of course, none of those schools have their entire state to themselves. Recruiting footprint alone indicates the Gophers can be a factor in the Big Ten on a regular basis and history shows this, despite two disastrous hires in the last decade.

Of course, if you could actually answer this question, you would've done it by now.
I'll continue to say any coach can only do so much when you have horrible facilities, and look what Tubby took over, was that better?

Minnesota NEEDS new facilities, it'd do them so much.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #117 (permalink)

And once again, Tubby doesn't get a free pass to be a terrible coach just because the coach before him was terrible. No idea where you get this idea from, and you really need to quit acting like Minnesota is Northwestern or something. There's absolutely NOTHING in the historical record to indicate your assumptions about the Minnesota program are true. Minnesota hired one bad coach in Dan Monson, and somehow that means the Minnesota program has no potential and Tubby doesn't have to actually accomplish anything to keep his job.

It is really, really simple. As in, doesn't take a bright person to understand.

Tubby had talent. Why on earth is it that you think Tubby didn't have talent?

Tubby flat out didn't win. It isn't the lack of facilities that caused the talent Tubby recruited when he got to Minnesota to never develop. But it is the lack of winning that stopped Tubby from being able to recruit the state.

But that's right, Minnesota is the Savannah State of the north - and according to the great JustinVerlander, we should be satisfied with 2 star recruits from Chicago because we will never do any better - even though our metro area averages 2 Top 100 recruits a year. Wheeeeeeeee!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #118 (permalink)

Apparently the Gophers are making a big push for Fred Hoiberg. Minnesota is obviously a higher level program, conference, market, and talent level, but it's hard to see the Mayor leave the city that loves him.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #119 (permalink)

Kind of odd how much press this Minnesota job is getting, when was the last time somebody wrote a story on the USC opening?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #120 (permalink)

Well, it's not Hoiberg.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Griffey View Post
Well, it's not Hoiberg.
Try Stevens, turn to Flip, and if that fails then Teague can find the next Shaka from a small school.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #122 (permalink)

I'm available.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Apparently the Gophers are making a big push for Fred Hoiberg. Minnesota is obviously a higher level program, conference, market, and talent level, but it's hard to see the Mayor leave the city that loves him.
I hate to break it to you and I go to Iowa State, but that would be a VERY lateral move actually besides conference this year, why would he leave? He has it made here as he said in his interview tonight "I hope I coach here until I retire."

Also Collecting: Yordano Ventura Autos, Color!
IowaCubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #124 (permalink)

Not sure why people thought hoiberg was a legit name. Hoiberg would never leave iowa st for minnesota, but thats local media for ya - almost as delusional as the national guys who think tubby can coach because 15 years ago he won a title with pitino's players. Flip and gregg marshall are two fantastic and potentially realistic options.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #125 (permalink)

I think when a school is looking for a coach, they need to ask anyone they think they would be good and not only who they think will accept the job. I didn't think Hoiberg would leave his job since he's already loved in Iowa as it is and has only helped himself with his performance as a coach.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote