Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gophers fire Tubby

Wow just wow....they're nuts

Also Collecting: Yordano Ventura Autos, Color!
IowaCubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glen Mason!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very dumb move, they will be back to a irrevelant program again very soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

When were they relevant without cheating? Like one week per season? I think Tubby will land on his feet though, he's a good coach.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnb0123 View Post
Very dumb move, they will be back to a irrevelant program again very soon.
When were they relevant?
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

they are racist!!!!!!!!!
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unless they've got a deal in place for Smart to come rejoin his former AD, this is absolutely nuts. They will never find a coach as good as Tubby.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goodman was the one reporting this and I've read that writers Minnesota said that he jumped the gun. If so, not a good look sir.

If it does happen, they will not get a coach even close to keeping Minnesota relevant like Tubby. I mean they did make the tournament and win a game.

The current AD at Minnesota did hire Shaka Smart at VCU, so they might have something in line already. If not, this is just stupid. STUPID.

If I was Shaka though, there is no way I'd take the Minny job over UCLA. The Bruin job isn't what it used to be, but it's still a program with tradition, and great weather. I would never live in Minnesota personally.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb_sa View Post
Goodman was the one reporting this and I've read that writers Minnesota said that he jumped the gun. If so, not a good look sir.

If it does happen, they will not get a coach even close to keeping Minnesota relevant like Tubby. I mean they did make the tournament and win a game.

The current AD at Minnesota did hire Shaka Smart at VCU, so they might have something in line already. If not, this is just stupid. STUPID.

If I was Shaka though, there is no way I'd take the Minny job over UCLA. The Bruin job isn't what it used to be, but it's still a program with tradition, and great weather. I would never live in Minnesota personally.
No way they get Smart. He turned down an impressive offer by Illinois.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

WOW, crazy move in my opinion...They were in the Tourney, got a win and Tubby's able to recruit
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Brad Stevens, Shaka, Flip Saunders, or other? We did beat UCLA, if that influences Shaka to choose the U over the Bruins.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Shaka isn't leaving VCU, no way he would go to Minnesota over a program like Illinois like he was offered last year. That's nonsense.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaCubs1 View Post
Shaka isn't leaving VCU, no way he would go to Minnesota over a program like Illinois like he was offered last year. That's nonsense.
Norwood Teague hired him once, he could do it again.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Howland gets a shot. Minny would be stupid not to fight for him..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Has there ever been a time where two teams who met in the first round of the tournament then both fired their coaches before the weekend was over?
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

They are both Dumb.. Howland is a great coach.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
That's the truth. Both great coaches.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Howland's time at UCLA was up and they needed to go their separate ways, but the way it was handled was wrong

He lost complete control in Westwood, and the only reason he was back this year to begin with was because of Shabazz. One tournament win in the last 5 years isn't good enough to keep your job at UCLA

And seriously, it's Minnesota, do they really expect to get a better coach than Tubby?

It's Minnesota............
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Anyone who thinks Tubby is a good coach clearly hasn't been watching U of MN basketball for the last few years. Name any player he developed into a better player while at MN. Dude never took the blame for anything. As for them only being relevant when they "weren't cheating" give me a break. Half the big programs out there have had scandals. The other half just haven't been caught yet. Just another example how the basketball forum is full of name-chasing, starry-eyed groupies who wouldn't know real basketball if it came up and kicked them in their droopy drawers. God, to have old school coaches like Knight around again instead of cheats like Calipari.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Howland's time at UCLA was up and they needed to go their separate ways, but the way it was handled was wrong

He lost complete control in Westwood, and the only reason he was back this year to begin with was because of Shabazz. One tournament win in the last 5 years isn't good enough to keep your job at UCLA

And seriously, it's Minnesota, do they really expect to get a better coach than Tubby?

It's Minnesota............
A lump of dog sh!t on a stool would be better than Tubby.

And someone from America's crown jewel Detroit shouldn't be knocking anybody.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Is Minnesota Men's Basketball still a Varsity Sport?

How coaching fame comes and goes. Not long ago Tubby Smith won the National Championship in his first year at Kentucky and now he is fired from the Gophers!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
Anyone who thinks Tubby is a good coach clearly hasn't been watching U of MN basketball for the last few years. Name any player he developed into a better player while at MN. Dude never took the blame for anything. As for them only being relevant when they "weren't cheating" give me a break. Half the big programs out there have had scandals. The other half just haven't been caught yet. Just another example how the basketball forum is full of name-chasing, starry-eyed groupies who wouldn't know real basketball if it came up and kicked them in their droopy drawers. God, to have old school coaches like Knight around again instead of cheats like Calipari.
Trevor is the only player that really wanted to play this year. Rodney seemed to have regressed from freshman year. Andre hasn't played that well. Ingram seemed to have talent, but never played until the last few games. Our gameplanning seems to be awful, because most games seemed to involve getting killed in the first half before waking up. The team lost to way too many shitty teams, showing a lack of discipline and focus. Hopefully we can get someone young like Shaka, Stevens, or Enfield if he's looking for a better paying job, rather than a transitional coach like Flip. We need another shooter like Hoffarber to really be good. Hulls, Brust, white dude on Michigan, and other guys around the B10 are like that, but Andre is our only real clutch shooter.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Trevor is the only player that really wanted to play this year. Rodney seemed to have regressed from freshman year. Andre hasn't played that well. Ingram seemed to have talent, but never played until the last few games. Our gameplanning seems to be awful, because most games seemed to involve getting killed in the first half before waking up. The team lost to way too many shitty teams, showing a lack of discipline and focus. Hopefully we can get someone young like Shaka, Stevens, or Enfield if he's looking for a better paying job, rather than a transitional coach like Flip. We need another shooter like Hoffarber to really be good. Hulls, Brust, white dude on Michigan, and other guys around the B10 are like that, but Andre is our only real clutch shooter.
LOL

I'm sorry, but do you seriously even think someone like Stepehns or Smart would even take the call from Minnesota's AD?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Wow, actually knowing what you're talking about and making sense? No way. You're supposed to say "but I have heard Tubby was a good coach a long time ago at one of the top 5 basketball programs of all time (who also happened to can him)."
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Minnesota is a pretty crappy program with terrible facilities, doubt anyone is gonna do a better job than Tubby did if none of that changed.

They really need upgraded facilities/new arena, it did wonders for Michigan, for example.

However, there is no way Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens or any other really good coach is going to Minnesota, don't overrate the program, it's been irrelevant for a while.