Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK40 View Post
81 is not close. 96, 97? That's close. 19 points is a great half for most players, not close. Robinson scored 71 to win the scoring title, which is also impressive, but there's a big difference between that or 81 and 100 points.
I guess it depends how you look at it. That's what I was thinking too, but if the game went into double overtime he could have easily broken the record.
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley24 View Post
I guess it depends how you look at it. That's what I was thinking too, but if the game went into double overtime he could have easily broken the record.
Well you can also say that Wilt played 48 minutes, and Kobe played 42.

So wilt scored 2.083 points per minute, and Kobe scored 1.928 points per minute. So if Kobe was on pace to score 92-93 points had he played 48 minutes.
I think Kobe was also on pace for 90 in that game where he scored 62 in 33 minutes


And before someone jumps in, please don't make the argument that someone played 2 minutes and scored 6 points so technically they were on pace for 144 points.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,536
Default

There's tall doofism, and then there's real skill....

That being said, check this out.

The legendary pickup basketball games between Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor from the late 1950s in Washington, D.C. - Grantland
__________________
It's all about the 76ers in 2015... and SILVER
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK40 View Post
81 is not close. 96, 97? That's close. 19 points is a great half for most players, not close. Robinson scored 71 to win the scoring title, which is also impressive, but there's a big difference between that or 81 and 100 points.
81 is a lot closer than I expected to see. I was thinking the most I would ever see in a game is in the 60 range.

Do you expect to see a 90+point game? Let alone 81 points.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
81 is a lot closer than I expected to see. I was thinking the most I would ever see in a game is in the 60 range.

Do you expect to see a 90+point game? Let alone 81 points.
I agree on that, it's still a ridulous game. Kobe still dominated that game, so in that respect they are similar feats. But as far as breaking into 3 figures, I just don't think it will happen.
SK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 652
Default

Kobe vs LeBron

Oh wait, that discussion is a broken record.
Hoopsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
phdbeckett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 564
Default

Coaching, more than anything else would prevent these records from being attempted, let alone breaking any.

Managing a player's time on the court has taken away any chances at a record breaking, the same way as starting pitches rarely go deep into games even when they dominate, due to pitch counts and the concept of the bullpen.
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdbeckett View Post
Coaching, more than anything else would prevent these records from being attempted, let alone breaking any.

Managing a player's time on the court has taken away any chances at a record breaking, the same way as starting pitches rarely go deep into games even when they dominate, due to pitch counts and the concept of the bullpen.
yeah we saw that this year with the three pointers in a game record right?

who was it houston and someone?
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
yeah we saw that this year with the three pointers in a game record right?

who was it houston and someone?
That's a team record though not an individual one, right?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,004
Default

I dont see anyone getting 11 rings like Russell did, coaches dont count. I could see someone getting 11 if he gets to the right place and has the talent around him....more than once.

But 11 like Russell, sorry, just dont see it happening unless that guy is a VERY lucky bench/role player and can stay in the league 20+ years.
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
That's a team record though not an individual one, right?
yeah. i was bringing it up because he had mentioned coaching not allowing it.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,542
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

No player is greedy enough to go for 100 Pts, and if they do the team would probably lose.

Volume scorers kill teams.
__________________
!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
No player is greedy enough to go for 100 Pts, and if they do the team would probably lose.

Volume scorers kill teams.

I don't understand this really.

Who would you consider to be volume scorers, not just in the league today, but over the last 20 years or so?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,542
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I don't understand this really.

Who would you consider to be volume scorers, not just in the league today, but over the last 20 years or so?
Wilt took 63 FG attempts which is a record to score 100 pts. I know there is the 3 point line, but think about it the average NBA player doesn't take more than 20.

Its just not possible in this day and age. Defense is way better than in Wilt's days.
__________________
!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Wilt took 63 FG attempts which is a record to score 100 pts. I know there is the 3 point line, but think about it the average NBA player doesn't take more than 20.

Its just not possible in this day and age. Defense is way better than in Wilt's days.
Ok, I gotcha.

Yeah, it's a different era and Wilt was so much bigger than everyone else he was an easy option to go to every time.

Not to mention, wasn't Wilt's 100 point game a publicity stunt? I thought I head they worked that out before hand that they were going to try and get Wilt as many points as they can to promote the team or something. I could be wrong
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.