Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Cracking Graded Cards To Re-Sell Ok??
Yes 160 75.83%
No 51 24.17%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #126 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 6,271
Default

I had a guy interested this past weekend in my 9.5 Durant Auto...but wanted me to crack it because he hates graded cards. if its an 8.5-9 and you crack it, i think its ok as long as you stress its near mint. Some people just dont buy graded cards.
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #127 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,547
Default

I always state that my cards are in at least NM-MT condition. So, if I crack out a 8.5 or 9, it's not that bad in my opinion. Grading is so subjective anyways.
lisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #128 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
You were the one who started asking if its ok to crack an "altered" slabbed card and tried comparing it to cracking a card with a grade. Yes, both the altered and graded cards are "subjective" since its an opinion and can vary from one grader to the next.

But clearly you are against cracking and selling raw. So my question to you was: since you say bgs has no clue when it comes to grading or telling if a card is altered, why should a seller have to disclose information that you consider not credible?
Your right I brought it up. And the response was that number grading is subjective and its okay to bust it out but busting a altered card out is not okay.

But you just confirmed what my opinion was. BOTH ARE SUBJECTIVE. So if you say one is okay the other should be okay too. But that is not what these members are saying.

You can't say one is okay and the other isn't when the underlying idea is the same. Thats wrong.

I think both are wrong.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #129 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
This is my opinion..

If you were to sell all of them, I think they should be stated as the following;

1 sold as 9.5 slabbed
2 sold as BGS 9
Last one sold as BGS 9 because its been slabbed BGS 9. If it was still in raw form, I feel that you are obligated to let the buyer know that it was returned as possibly trimmed. This would give the buyer a heads up with information that would make the decision for him much easier on whether to buy it or not.

If the card has been slabbed a BGS 9 and was previously noted as trimmed, its not a BGS 9 however you look at it. The moral duty lies in doing what you would want done to you if you were in the shoes of the person that is buying.

If I was buying a card, I definately would want to know if the raw copy had been graded before and the grade it was given. If I want that as a buyer, then as a seller I would want to disclose that information. If you honestly dont know the grade (If the card was pulled from a pack the day before and for sale today), then thats being honest. But if you know beforehand, why not disclose it?
Of course if it was raw and was noted as trimmed, I would state it. But regarding the bold point, how is it not a BGS 9 if its slabbed a BGS 9 when I sell it? If you pull a card from a pack and BGS calls it trimmed the first time, and you resubmit it for a 9.5, I don't see the issue. It clearly was an error on Beckett's part calling it trimmed.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #130 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
Of course if it was raw and was noted as trimmed, I would state it. But regarding the bold point, how is it not a BGS 9 if its slabbed a BGS 9 when I sell it? If you pull a card from a pack and BGS calls it trimmed the first time, and you resubmit it for a 9.5, I don't see the issue. It clearly was an error on Beckett's part calling it trimmed.
Sorry was suppose to read

Quote:
If the card has been slabbed a BGS 9 and was previously noted as trimmed, its NOW a BGS 9 however you look at it
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #131 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1fan View Post
I disagree with that,People fake patches and trim cards as well ... so buyers should not have to worry about a cards past or back story and have no right to knowing it?
I just saw this post. Switching out a patch or trimming a card is altering the way a card originally came from the manufacturer and from the pack.

When you take a card out of a BGS holder and put it in a toploader, you are not altering the card itself, just the way it is stored.

So there is definitely a big difference between altering a card/patch and removing a card from a graded holder.

Some think its wrong, some are fine with it. But it should definitely not be compared to altering a card.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #132 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I just saw this post. Switching out a patch or trimming a card is altering the way a card originally came from the manufacturer and from the pack.

When you take a card out of a BGS holder and put it in a toploader, you are not altering the card itself, just the way it is stored.

So there is definitely a big difference between altering a card/patch and removing a card from a graded holder.

Some think its wrong, some are fine with it. But it should definitely not be compared to altering a card.
I know it's a huge difference,I was using the example as the practice being deceiving.A potential buyer would love to know if the patch is fake and has the right to know.The buyer of these once graded 8.5 and lower cards would probably like to know the details and have that right.Deception is what I am having a hard time dealing with.There should be no grey area & deception in the hobby.Why not just sell the slabbed card as is and let the buyer do as he/she chooses to do with it?Why would someone go through the trouble of deceiving another?

Answer - to make more money.
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #133 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

So even if someone asks about the condition all you have to do is say its "NrMT or better"?

Thats what the consensus on here is?
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #134 (permalink)
Member
 
burke23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
So even if someone asks about the condition all you have to do is say its "NrMT or better"?

Thats what the consensus on here is?
Whose mouth are you putting words into here? Describe the card as your normally would had it never been graded....that's it. If there is a corner ding, say there is a corner ding. If there is chipping on an edge, state it.

You act as if those cards that were previously slabbed should be listed with more scrutiny than a card that was acquired raw and ultimately sold as such while never having been graded. I say don't make a distinction - describe the cards condition and noticeable defects.
__________________
Bucket -http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/avrules2000
*Looking for rare/low numbered Randy Moss rookies (IE E-X Credentials, Skybox Rubies, PMGs, SP Gold Auto /18, etc)
*Also looking for 1997 PMG Red football for set
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #135 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,256
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Either way, you're still paying for an opinion. And Beckett's opinion isn't always the right one.

People can constantly bump cards, so one man's 9 is another man's 9.5.

All you have to do is describe the visible faults of the card, and take excellent pictures.
__________________
http://www.finalsmvp.com/

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #136 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Either way, you're still paying for an opinion. And Beckett's opinion isn't always the right one.

People can constantly bump cards, so one man's 9 is another man's 9.5.

All you have to do is describe the visible faults of the card, and take excellent pictures.
I paid for a home appraisal and a home inspection. Both are opinions, but my insurance company and my mortgage company thought highly of those opinions.

Just pointing out that opinions can have value.

A scanned picture rarely tells the entire condition story. A series of pictures might, but a scan definitely does not.
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #137 (permalink)
Member
 
burke23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I paid for a home appraisal and a home inspection. Both are opinions, but my insurance company and my mortgage company thought highly of those opinions.

Just pointing out that opinions can have value.

A scanned picture rarely tells the entire condition story. A series of pictures might, but a scan definitely does not.
He did say 'describe the visible faults of the card' as well. No one reasonably thinks pics alone suffice as description of condition.
__________________
Bucket -http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/avrules2000
*Looking for rare/low numbered Randy Moss rookies (IE E-X Credentials, Skybox Rubies, PMGs, SP Gold Auto /18, etc)
*Also looking for 1997 PMG Red football for set
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #138 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke23 View Post
He did say 'describe the visible faults of the card' as well. No one reasonably thinks pics alone suffice as description of condition.
Unfortunately, most of the card auctions on eBay provide very little in the way of description. Many only have a crude scan with a description of 'Posted using eBay Mobile.'

That is for another thread.
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #139 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I wish the 26 people who voted 'no' were availabe to the public. I buy several hundred cards per month and I would add you to my preferred seller list.
I don't have an ebay account but when I've sold through a friend before I've provided them the descriptions stating things like "This card is nrmnt condition, but please be aware of the top right corner being a bit white, and some chipping along the bottom edge below his foot"

I believe that being upfront about any condition issues is very important. Probably why I haven't been able to 'quicksale' a card I put up on a forum yesterday...
__________________
Buy a cheap game jersey! http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/642259-clearance-joe-johnson-real-game-worn-jersey-cheap.html
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #140 (permalink)
Member
 
nissandriver77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
I know what you mean, however, as a seller you need to reach the most audience.

Here's an analogy:

If you were going to sell a brand new car, but it had a "Dominoes" delivery light on the top of the car (not bolted on). And you bought it this way.

You want to re-sell it, however, nobody really wants it with the Dominoes light on it. So you simply remove it.

The car is EXACTLY the same, nothing was damaged or changed in ANY WAY.

In fact, when the car was PRODUCED, it DID NOT have the Dominoes light on it to begin with. So you're seling the car essentially as it was made and exists in it's raw form.



Same exact scenario here ... except with less pizza
In regards to the car anology Would you tell the buyer it was in a flood for instance ? or you would just let it ride not giving the information you know ?
Would you even tell the buyer it was a pizza delivery car or unscrew everything and flog it as a genuine private used car , how you display your self i think you wouldn't no offense as it would affect your goal of making profit .

In regards to the BGS no problem cracking it but why not disclose it was cracked and the grade it was given , i personally think it is sly as the reason most guy's do this is to flip for profit concealing the actual grade and hoping amatures would think it would grade higher , there fore you making more profit which is your goal and intention is it not??

I am sure there are lots of flippers that buy low graded cards and crack them to try and flip for higher profit which as anyway you twist it is immoral .

And for your info it's not the same scenario if someone sold the car not disclosing it was a thrashed pizza delivery car just because you hid what the car was and did not disclose, but smart sales men are good at twisting things to make them look clean but in actual fact the are as dirty as they come to make an extra buck .
__________________

Last edited by nissandriver77; 04-25-2013 at 01:45 AM.
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #141 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandriver77 View Post
In regards to the car anology Would you tell the buyer it was in a flood for instance ? or you would just let it ride not giving the information you know ?
Would you even tell the buyer it was a pizza delivery car or unscrew everything and flog it as a genuine private used car , how you display your self i think you wouldn't no offense as it would affect your goal of making profit .

In regards to the BGS no problem cracking it but why not disclose it was cracked and the grade it was given , i personally think it is sly as the reason most guy's do this is to flip for profit concealing the actual grade and hoping amatures would think it would grade higher , there fore you making more profit which is your goal and intention is it not??

I am sure there are lots of flippers that buy low graded cards and crack them to try and flip for higher profit which as anyway you twist it is immoral .

And for your info it's not the same scenario if someone sold the car not disclosing it was a thrashed pizza delivery car just because you hid what the car was and did not disclose, but smart sales men are good at twisting things to make them look clean but in actual fact the are as dirty as they come to make an extra buck .
Kudo's to you brother! I could not have said it better myself
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #142 (permalink)
Member
 
CP3toOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,905
Default

What about those off brand grading company (pristine, gem Mint, etc)?
What If I state that I broke the card out of a case and it was previously a graded 10? Technically I wouldn't be lying right?
So from this example statement, does it really matter if you didn't list the condition of the card?
__________________
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #143 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
What about those off brand grading company (pristine, gem Mint, etc)? If I state that I broke the card out of a case and it was previously a graded 10? Technically I wouldn't be lying right?
So from this example statement, does it really matter if you didn't list the condition of the card?
I don't think anybody respects them things as graded cards....
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
nissandriver77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1fan View Post
I don't think anybody respects them things as graded cards....
Exactly low end grading companies are rubbish even the main name one's are , but hey the are the most reputable .

Point of the matter is a lot of people are buying up low graded items to crack them and not disclose the grade .

The crap the people have posted trying to slip past reality "well it is NMT isn't it " is total bull dust .

If your so honest state in your auction i cracked it out and it was graded ... and the subgrades where .... and the card was graded by ...... , it is about being honest and let the buyer make an informed decision .

But you won't see them do that as they know exactly what they are doing plain and simple.

I have said it 100000000 times and i will say it again this hobby has and alway's was a joke when you look at most of the scammers your dealing with trying to make petty $$$.

You want $$$$ go work for it take risk's in the real world , I am sick and tired of seeing slimy people taking the easy road or looking for the sly edge , I really feel sorry for the future generations as Honour and Loyalty and Respect is dying moral's in this money hungry planet we live on.

And sorry if it hurts some people but truth hurts and this sly twist crap that people spin makes me sick to be Honest.


For the 100+ that have said yes and not disclose what the grade and subgrades where on the sly you should be ashamed of yourselves as clearly it shows who is who in the world, and i feel sorry that you where not taught manners and morals as a child.
__________________

Last edited by nissandriver77; 04-25-2013 at 04:59 AM.
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
nino_013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandriver77 View Post
Exactly low end grading companies are rubbish even the main name one's are , but hey the are the most reputable .

Point of the matter is a lot of people are buying up low graded items to crack them and not disclose the grade.

The crap the people have posted trying to slip past reality "well it is NMT isn't it " is total bull dust .

If your so honest state in your auction i cracked it out and it was graded ... and the subgrades where .... and the card was graded by ...... , it is about being honest and let the buyer make an informed decision .

But you won't see them do that as they know exactly what they are doing plain and simple.

I have said it 100000000 times and i will say it again this hobby has and alway's was a joke when you look at most of the scammers your dealing with trying to make petty $$$.

You want $$$$ go work for it take risk's in the real world , I am sick and tired of seeing slimy people taking the easy road or looking for the sly edge , I really feel sorry for the future generations as Honour and Loyalty and Respect is dying moral's in this money hungry planet we live on.

And sorry if it hurts some people but truth hurts and this sly twist crap that people spin makes me sick to be Honest.


For the 100+ that have said yes and not disclose what the grade and subgrades where on the sly you should be ashamed of yourselves as clearly it shows who is who in the world, and i feel sorry that you where not taught manners and morals as a child.
Settle down there mate. I voted yes to the actual question posed "Is Cracking Graded Cards To Re-Sell Ok ???" from a buyers point of view.

I for one always do my due dilligence before purchasing a card.

If i am not satisfied that i can make a clear judgment on the cards condition by the pics provided,
then i will ask detailed questions regarding its condition or a better pic.

If im not happy with the answer im given, then i will simply not buy it.

I could care less about someones opinion ('professional' or not) as theyre not the one that has to fork out their hard earned money for it.

Whatever happened to just using common sense when buying something?!

Last edited by nino_013; 04-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
nino_013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #146 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino_013 View Post
Settle down there mate. I voted yes to the actual question posed "Is Cracking Graded Cards To Re-Sell Ok ???" from a buyers point of view.

I for one always do my due dilligence before purchasing a card.

If i am not satisfied that i can make a clear judgment on the cards condition by the pics provided,
then i will ask detailed questions regarding its condition or a better pic.

If im not happy with the answer im given, then i will simply not buy it.

I could care less about someones opinion ('professional' or not) as theyre not the one that has to fork out their hard earned money for it.

Whatever happened to just using common sense when buying something?!
Common sense went out the window as soon as cronies decided to cheat the system and be dishonest about cards.

When a seller goes out of his way to KNOWINGLY deciet / dupe a potential buyer into thinking the condition of a card is better than it actually is, they are doing a diservice to the integrity of trading. By doing so, they advocate that using shady marketing techniques to achieve better profits on their card.

This whole thing about buyer beware is taken too far. The buyer is beware. All the buyer is asking for is for the seller to be transparent and up front. In every other industry its a strict guideline to be transparent otherwise you face legal issues. But in this industry its almost as if you are supported for creating deception and given accolades if you are able to take advantage of someone.

If you wish to use symantecs to dupe someone, go ahead. Thats the guilt you live with. Usually what comes around, goes around. If you think being creative with words gives you some sort of pass on swindling someone, you are wrong.

What if someone throws up an auction and sells "Item listed in description" or "you will get the exact item in the scan". But the scan happens to be a photocopy. So the seller ends up selling a photocopy of a card instead of the real deal. But his out is "I specifically stated "Item in scan" which happens to be a pic of a photocopy". Is that okay then? Because he listed it creatively?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #147 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Common sense went out the window as soon as cronies decided to cheat the system and be dishonest about cards.

When a seller goes out of his way to KNOWINGLY deciet / dupe a potential buyer into thinking the condition of a card is better than it actually is, they are doing a diservice to the integrity of trading. By doing so, they advocate that using shady marketing techniques to achieve better profits on their card.

This whole thing about buyer beware is taken too far. The buyer is beware. All the buyer is asking for is for the seller to be transparent and up front. In every other industry its a strict guideline to be transparent otherwise you face legal issues. But in this industry its almost as if you are supported for creating deception and given accolades if you are able to take advantage of someone.

If you wish to use symantecs to dupe someone, go ahead. Thats the guilt you live with. Usually what comes around, goes around. If you think being creative with words gives you some sort of pass on swindling someone, you are wrong.

What if someone throws up an auction and sells "Item listed in description" or "you will get the exact item in the scan". But the scan happens to be a photocopy. So the seller ends up selling a photocopy of a card instead of the real deal. But his out is "I specifically stated "Item in scan" which happens to be a pic of a photocopy". Is that okay then? Because he listed it creatively?
Very well said man,I think the people who are voting "yes" are not taking the time to see the issue thoroughly and realize how deceiptive and misleading it really is.Paul comes on here all defensive while admitting he does this purposly to make more $$$.How is this not alarming He knows what he does is greedy and rotten,Hence why he ran off with his tail between his legs after he put his foot in mouth.
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #148 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
What about those off brand grading company (pristine, gem Mint, etc)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1fan View Post
I don't think anybody respects them things as graded cards....
wait, what


So one "professional" opinion is the bible but yet another "professional" opinion you piss on?
__________________
collecting Foles, Garoppolo and Mitchell
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 598
Default

When you see a girl you like and want to date her, are you required to know how many guys she's been with in the past before you get involved?

for some reason this came to mind when seeing this topic
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
wait, what


So one "professional" opinion is the bible but yet another "professional" opinion you piss on?
C'mon really man?I think you are starting to reach now... we all know BGS sets the bar when it comes to grades especially modern cards,PSA is also respected by many but these other companies? NO NOT AT ALL.I have seen homeade grading services so what makes them "professional" BGS may not get it right all the time but they are professional like it or not.
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.