Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Cracking Graded Cards To Re-Sell Ok??
Yes 160 75.83%
No 51 24.17%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,852
Default

As long as you aren't calling a card MINT that was previously graded an 8, I don't see the issue. And people are assuming that everyone is buying raw cards to grade. Not everyone is into grading cards and flipping to make more money. Some people do collect cards that are raw. As long as scans are provided and you don't over-state the condition of a card, I don't see the problem.

The only time its a problem is when people are cracking out cards that grade a 6 and say NM-MT or better, or if someone cracks out a Jordan auto/jersey that graded a 4 because of a light crease by a jersey. If they do not tell a buyer about the crease, then I think everyone would say that's wrong.

But I think most of the people who voted YES (me included), were referring to a card graded an 8 or better and the seller saying its NM-MT or better. I see no issues with that at all.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #152 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee712 View Post
When you see a girl you like and want to date her, are you required to know how many guys she's been with in the past before you get involved?

for some reason this came to mind when seeing this topic
Required no,But I am sure many guys would like to know who they are getting involved with for several reasons.Would you want to know if she had an STD before or after hittin skins?
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #153 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1fan View Post
Required no,But I am sure many guys would like to know who they are getting involved with for several reasons.Would you want to know if she had an STD before or after hittin skins?
Yea, but you gotta realize that no girl will tell you that they got herpes...you just have to detect those sores yourself before taking the plunge
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #154 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
wait, what


So one "professional" opinion is the bible but yet another "professional" opinion you piss on?
Yep.

Why would you take financial advice from a professional but not from some bum on the streets?

Why would you take the opinion of a professional doctor but not the advice of a voodoo man from the classified?

One professional opinion has more integrity and support from industry standards vs the other. We happen to choose the better ones. No such thing as perfect ones.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #155 (permalink)
Member
 
ManInTheMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Yep.

Why would you take financial advice from a professional but not from some bum on the streets?

Why would you take the opinion of a professional doctor but not the advice of a voodoo man from the classified?

One professional opinion has more integrity and support from industry standards vs the other. We happen to choose the better ones. No such thing as perfect ones.
BUT THIS IS OUR POINT------------------- we don't want to choose "the better one" we don't choose any of them. We don't give a care about grading as buyers and collectors.

AND on top of it all you say "one has more integrity and support from industry standards" well yea isn't becket kind of a monopoly in a sense and have a firm hand in the fire anyway? Didn't they once sell a card themselves that they graded themselves?
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #156 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
BUT THIS IS OUR POINT------------------- we don't want to choose "the better one" we don't choose any of them. We don't give a care about grading as buyers and collectors.

AND on top of it all you say "one has more integrity and support from industry standards" well yea isn't becket kind of a monopoly in a sense and have a firm hand in the fire anyway? Didn't they once sell a card themselves that they graded themselves?
Thats not the point.

THe point is integrity of sellers.

The simple questions is;

If a seller has prior knowledge of a cards grade because it has been slabbed before, should he be transparent and let the buyer know the sufficient information on the card to make the proper decision on whether to buy it or not?

Thats the question at hand.

Some of agree that if I know a card is a BGS 7 and its been broken out of the slab, that I as a seller will note the card was once a BGS 7, now broken out of the slab. By doing so, I as a seller am being open and transparent so that the buyer can make an informed decision based on as much information I can give him. This hopefully inturned leads to a satisfied client who trusts what I sell him/her.

Others argue that you dont need to do anything but note as creatively as possible the condition of a card. By doing so, you give the information, not always 100% accurate to what you factually know (Knowing its a BGS 7 but noting it as nr mint). In doing so, the intent of withold pertatnest historical information of the cards condition to gain from the opportunity that the buyer expresses more value to it because they happen to think it is in better condition than actually knowing. Why else would you not note every factual information of the card?

I mean if a card is graded 9.5 we love to stress it to get more $$. But if a card is graded BGS 7, we crack it because for what reason? The only reason I can come up with is to get more $$ under the guise that the buyer is duped into thinking its a possible 9.5?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #157 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,133
Default

The solution:

Don't crack the case. Sell the card in the manner you obtained it (graded) and allow the buyer to make the decision. Since those who don't seem to have a problem with omitting material information, thereby placing the burden on the buyer, can allow the buyer to make the complete decision. Also, you have increased your market because your item appeals to multiple niche collectors.

I would like to read the reasons from folks who have actually done so. Be honest. Why did you buy graded, crack and resell without disclosing this information? Truthful answer. What did you expect to gain? What did you expect would be different if you had left alone?

Those are all rhetorical questions because I believe I know the answers. I want several of the 100+ to state the honest truth: what did you expect would happen differently?

I'm not referring to someone who bought and cracked the card five years ago and today decides to sell. I'm talking about someone who bought last week and offered up for sale within days of receipt.


April 5 - Buy BGS 8
April 10 - Crack, list for sale on eBay with no mention of the known material history

What are you searching for? Why not sell sealed as a BGS 8? What does failure to disclose accomplish? It might save you 5 seconds of typing. Cost/benefit. Explain the why.
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."

Last edited by fullmetal; 04-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #158 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The solution:

Don't crack the case. Sell the card in the manner you obtained it (graded) and allow the buyer to make the decision. Since those who don't seem to have a problem with omitting material information, thereby placing the burden on the buyer, can allow the buyer to make the complete decision. Also, you have increased your market because your item appeals to multiple niche collectors.

I would like to read the reasons from folks who have actually done so. Be honest. Why did you buy graded, crack and resell without disclosing this information? Truthful answer. What did you expect to gain? What did you expect would be different if you had left alone?

Those are all rhetorical questions because I believe I know the answers. I want several of the 100+ to state the honest truth: what did you expect would happen differently?

I'm not referring to someone who bought and cracked the card five years ago and today decides to sell. I'm talking about someone who bought last week and offered up for sale within days of receipt.


April 5 - Buy BGS 8
April 10 - Crack, list for sale on eBay with no mention of the known material history

What are you searching for? Why not sell sealed as a BGS 8? What does failure to disclose accomplish? It might save you 5 seconds of typing. Cost/benefit. Explain the why.
My thoughts exactly,Well said!
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #159 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The solution:

Don't crack the case. Sell the card in the manner you obtained it (graded) and allow the buyer to make the decision. Since those who don't seem to have a problem with omitting material information, thereby placing the burden on the buyer, can allow the buyer to make the complete decision. Also, you have increased your market because your item appeals to multiple niche collectors.

I would like to read the reasons from folks who have actually done so. Be honest. Why did you buy graded, crack and resell without disclosing this information? Truthful answer. What did you expect to gain? What did you expect would be different if you had left alone?

Those are all rhetorical questions because I believe I know the answers. I want several of the 100+ to state the honest truth: what did you expect would happen differently?

I'm not referring to someone who bought and cracked the card five years ago and today decides to sell. I'm talking about someone who bought last week and offered up for sale within days of receipt.


April 5 - Buy BGS 8
April 10 - Crack, list for sale on eBay with no mention of the known material history

What are you searching for? Why not sell sealed as a BGS 8? What does failure to disclose accomplish? It might save you 5 seconds of typing. Cost/benefit. Explain the why.

You and I both know very well there is only 1 answer to this question you ask. Unfortunately they wont say it!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #160 (permalink)
Member
 
xavieronly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The solution:

Don't crack the case. Sell the card in the manner you obtained it (graded) and allow the buyer to make the decision. Since those who don't seem to have a problem with omitting material information, thereby placing the burden on the buyer, can allow the buyer to make the complete decision. Also, you have increased your market because your item appeals to multiple niche collectors.

I would like to read the reasons from folks who have actually done so. Be honest. Why did you buy graded, crack and resell without disclosing this information? Truthful answer. What did you expect to gain? What did you expect would be different if you had left alone?

Those are all rhetorical questions because I believe I know the answers. I want several of the 100+ to state the honest truth: what did you expect would happen differently?

I'm not referring to someone who bought and cracked the card five years ago and today decides to sell. I'm talking about someone who bought last week and offered up for sale within days of receipt.


April 5 - Buy BGS 8
April 10 - Crack, list for sale on eBay with no mention of the known material history

What are you searching for? Why not sell sealed as a BGS 8? What does failure to disclose accomplish? It might save you 5 seconds of typing. Cost/benefit. Explain the why.
BGS case is heavy, man!
__________________
Always looking for Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway!! Thanks!

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #161 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,852
Default

I personally would rather sell an 8.5 graded than bust it out. This way I can avoid item not as described cases. But as a buyer I have no problem w/ it as long as the seller isn't stating its Mint when it was already graded an 8. Clearly you have to trust the seller to not be shady about it.

But cracking it does open it up to more buyers. There are a lot of people who would be perfectly happy w/ a card in the condition of a BGS 8 or 8.5 but won't buy the graded version since they don't want to crack it out themselves. Sure there is a chance that some guys who grade cards will buy it hoping to get a 9.5. But as long as you list it as NM-MT if it graded an 8, there shouldn't be an issue.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #162 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,852
Default

What if I buy a BGS 8.5, crack and resub it, and get a 9.5. Does the 8.5 grade need to be disclosed then? Or are we just talking about raw cards?

And just say you crack out a card graded a BGS 9 for your PC. 2 years later you decide to sell it, knowing it was an BGS 9 in the past. If you say it was a BGS 9 and the buyer subs it and it gets an 8.5, you are opening yourself up to a paypal dispute. By stating the grade, you have to rely on beckett's consistency with grading, which we all know is not very reliable.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #163 (permalink)
Member
 
ManInTheMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
What if I buy a BGS 8.5, crack and resub it, and get a 9.5. Does the 8.5 grade need to be disclosed then? Or are we just talking about raw cards?
According to them yes- you would still need to disclose the 8.5 information. They are saying you should never hide anything from potential buyers.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #164 (permalink)
Member
 
xavieronly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
According to them yes- you would still need to disclose the 8.5 information. They are saying you should never hide anything from potential buyers.
Go look it up and see the difference of definition between "material information" and "information"
__________________
Always looking for Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway!! Thanks!

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #165 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 594
Default

You can bring up moral issues with anything in everyday life. The majority of times you don't do what people think is "the right thing to do" is because it provides them with some benefit, whether it be more money, satisfaction or whatever.

I would think the true collectors care less about the condition of the card which is why they choose to not buy graded cards. For a true collector, if you can eyeball the card, see 4 sharp corners, no creases, good centering, it wouldn't matter to them at all whether it used to be a 7.5 or 8.

I'd rather leave the inspecting to myself. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you get clear scans of the card to make the decision yourself. The seller can easily say that he thinks the card would grade a 9.5 and that would get people interested. I wouldn't rely on the seller disclosing any information, whether its true or not.
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #166 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You and I both know very well there is only 1 answer to this question you ask. Unfortunately they wont say it!
There must be a huge internet outage this evening. Only crickets in these parts.
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #167 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
There must be a huge internet outage this evening. Only crickets in these parts.
I don't crack graded cards and sell raw. But a few posts ago I did list a couple reasons why someone might do it.

And I was someone who was defending the people that crack 8s or better and list them raw at nm-mt.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #168 (permalink)
Member
 
burke23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
There must be a huge internet outage this evening. Only crickets in these parts.
That or the fact that you would have a problem with someone selling an accurately described raw card is an opinion that is apparently impossible to overturn.
__________________
Bucket -http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/avrules2000
*Looking for rare/low numbered Randy Moss rookies (IE E-X Credentials, Skybox Rubies, PMGs, SP Gold Auto /18, etc)
*Also looking for 1997 PMG Red football for set
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #169 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

I still can't believe people support someone busting a BGS 7 and all they have to do is say 'near mint or better'.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #170 (permalink)
Member
 
nissandriver77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
I still can't believe people support someone busting a BGS 7 and all they have to do is say 'near mint or better'.
You have to understand certain people need to eat
__________________
Wow with the show ponies in this hobby!!!
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #171 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandriver77 View Post
You have to understand certain people need to eat
haha reminds me of sprewell.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #172 (permalink)
Member
 
burke23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
I still can't believe people support someone busting a BGS 7 and all they have to do is say 'near mint or better'.
Jesus, really? Name one person who said seller should do nothing less than describing the actual physical condition of the card? What if you crack the card and ding it....still list the previous grade? What if you crack the card and clean off a smudge? Unless there is reason to think a card was doctored, thre previous grade has no bearing on a future grade....a graders interpretation of the CURRENT condition does, however. How is that hard to understand?
__________________
Bucket -http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/avrules2000
*Looking for rare/low numbered Randy Moss rookies (IE E-X Credentials, Skybox Rubies, PMGs, SP Gold Auto /18, etc)
*Also looking for 1997 PMG Red football for set
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #173 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,873
Default

In my opinion when you get kicked off of another forum for doing it,and here is 36 votes against your methods... there is a problem with it.
penny1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #174 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke23 View Post
Jesus, really? Name one person who said seller should do nothing less than describing the actual physical condition of the card? What if you crack the card and ding it....still list the previous grade? What if you crack the card and clean off a smudge? Unless there is reason to think a card was doctored, thre previous grade has no bearing on a future grade....a graders interpretation of the CURRENT condition does, however. How is that hard to understand?
See that card in your avatar?

What if I sold you a barkley autographics but knew it was fake. But pawned it off as to the bet of my knowledge as being real. Would that be fair? I mean all i have to do is claim "I didnt know and in my opinion its real!!"

Would you be okay with that? Or as a buyer would you want to know?

Dont say its not the same thing because it is. Hiding behind manipulated words and descriptions to gain for more profit.

The reason why people break BGS 7 cases and sell raw is because a BGS 7 slabbed cards sells for less than a raw version.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #175 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke23 View Post
Jesus, really? Name one person who said seller should do nothing less than describing the actual physical condition of the card? What if you crack the card and ding it....still list the previous grade? What if you crack the card and clean off a smudge? Unless there is reason to think a card was doctored, thre previous grade has no bearing on a future grade....a graders interpretation of the CURRENT condition does, however. How is that hard to understand?
Thats not my name. What does He have to do with this?

I'm just wondering because it seems that a bgs 7 can be sold to someone under the pretense that it might be a 9.5. Interesting to me.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.