Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Whats to blame for the Lakers poor season?

So its officially over. Lakers were projected to dominate the league but after a extremely underachieving season were swept by the Spurs.

So the question is Who to blame? or What to blame?

The first thing in my opinion is injuries for sure. The big 4 only played what like 7 games together? Injuries were huge for sure. Dwight was playing through a huge amount of injuries, Nash is old and beat up and Gasol got hurt (towards the end). Of course Kobe and the season injury (although the lakers were in trouble long before that). So it really seems like the Nash and Dwight injuries were huge. Although injuries struck I think a lot of teams would kill to still have 2-3 greats being on the court at times so I think you can't just blame injuries and call it a day.

The second thing in my opinion is leadership. I personally think Kobe was a poor leader this year. He was terrible on defense and his offensive game was erratic. He called out and trashed teammates. Of course Kobe is great and he won them a good amount of games (especially towards the end) but to give Kobe a pass on the blame train is wrong.

The third thing is Dwight. I always thought he was overrated and his lack of offensive game is hinder-some. I do think people trashed him and got on him way to early as he was playing through some brutal injuries that people seemed to love to forget just so they could blame him. Of course Dwight has an ego and that clashed big time with kobe. Its fair to blame them both for sure on that front.

The fourth thing to mention is management. You can't fault them for bring the team together but I think you can blame them for highering D'Antoni over Phil. I don't think its a huge thing but deserves some mention.

The Lakers completely stunk this year. Yes injuries were a major issue but they had a lot more issues then that and should not have been a team that made the playoffs in the last game of the regular season.

So who/what do you blame or who/what should get the most blame.

Please don't troll this thread with ridiculous posts as I would really like to see what fans and non fans think... If you can't discuss the topic please move on.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

injuries..no chemistry, no bench..age..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

no way it was all dwight howard, hes terrible and whiny, and who cares if he just came off back surgery he should be awesome, the lakers will definately be awesome next year without him, it had nothing to do with the terrible coaching choice, old slow roster and bad bench players
8lakers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Injuries, and poor defense
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

You really are interested in the best franchise of the NBA,,,,

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
And he's a HEAT fan, can you believe it!

Probably 10-1 ratio of Laker-Heat posts, but he's a Heat fan!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
So its officially over. Lakers were projected to dominate the league but after a extremely underachieving season were swept by the Spurs.

So the question is Who to blame? or What to blame?

The first thing in my opinion is injuries for sure. The big 4 only played what like 7 games together? Injuries were huge for sure. Dwight was playing through a huge amount of injuries, Nash is old and beat up and Gasol got hurt (towards the end). Of course Kobe and the season injury (although the lakers were in trouble long before that). So it really seems like the Nash and Dwight injuries were huge. Although injuries struck I think a lot of teams would kill to still have 2-3 greats being on the court at times so I think you can't just blame injuries and call it a day.

The second thing in my opinion is leadership. I personally think Kobe was a poor leader this year. He was terrible on defense and his offensive game was erratic. He called out and trashed teammates. Of course Kobe is great and he won them a good amount of games (especially towards the end) but to give Kobe a pass on the blame train is wrong.

The third thing is Dwight. I always thought he was overrated and his lack of offensive game is hinder-some. I do think people trashed him and got on him way to early as he was playing through some brutal injuries that people seemed to love to forget just so they could blame him. Of course Dwight has an ego and that clashed big time with kobe. Its fair to blame them both for sure on that front.

The fourth thing to mention is management. You can't fault them for bring the team together but I think you can blame them for highering D'Antoni over Phil. I don't think its a huge thing but deserves some mention.

The Lakers completely stunk this year. Yes injuries were a major issue but they had a lot more issues then that and should not have been a team that made the playoffs in the last game of the regular season.

So who/what do you blame or who/what should get the most blame.

Please don't troll this thread with ridiculous posts as I would really like to see what fans and non fans think... If you can't discuss the topic please move on.
I agree with everything, except the bolded part.

In my opinion, this was one of Kobe's best years of his career. Stats-wise, not really, but more so from a leadership standpoint especially when they were struggling. On thing is for certain, effort wasn't a problem for Kobe this year. Kobe played a more all-around game this year. Could not tell you the last time he had consecutive games with double digit assists prior to this year. He took it upon himself to guard the best player on the opposing team night in and night out. Towards the end of the season playing virtually the whole game.

I think a lot of the problems come from a chemistry standpoint as well as Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers are in a tough position going forward. They really do not have any draft picks, and the free agents pool for next year is not very deep. It's basically CP3 and Dwight. Kupchak has handicapped the team with the Nash trade. Gave up way too much for him.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
You mean one of best in NBA history. I'm interested in basketball and naturally the better teams (or at least the ones that usually are) are the most talked about. pretty simple really. so as a lakers fan who do you blame?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
I agree with everything, except the bolded part.

In my opinion, this was one of Kobe's best years of his career. Stats-wise, not really, but more so from a leadership standpoint especially when they were struggling. On thing is for certain, effort wasn't a problem for Kobe this year. Kobe played a more all-around game this year. Could not tell you the last time he had consecutive games with double digit assists prior to this year. He took it upon himself to guard the best player on the opposing team night in and night out. Towards the end of the season playing virtually the whole game.

I think a lot of the problems come from a chemistry standpoint as well as Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers are in a tough position going forward. They really do not have any draft picks, and the free agents pool for next year is not very deep. It's basically CP3 and Dwight. Kupchak has handicapped the team with the Nash trade. Gave up way too much for him.
I agree with your Kobe and his playmaking the second part of the season. But you can't tell me Kobe has consistent the whole year. It seems like no one knew what Kobe was going to show up that night. Would it be erratic iso ball kobe scoring 50 or would it be playmaker kobe going for 15 assists. That kind of inconsistency is problematic. The Lakers had there most successful runs when Kobe played consistently. And Kobe was very poor on defense this year. This isn't me being a non-laker fan there was a majority of laker blogs and fan sites calling kobe out on d.

I think it could be argued that the last couple weeks kobe was a good leader the majority of the time. But for the season as a whole. I don't think so.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Trying to bring in as much talent as possible with a coach who couldn't bring it together.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jim Buss not wanting to hire Phil Jackson.
Very weak bench.
Gasol not being the same since 2010.
Dwight not being that good.
Kobe getting older.
Almost no team chemistry.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I agree with your Kobe and his playmaking the second part of the season. But you can't tell me Kobe has consistent the whole year. It seems like no one knew what Kobe was going to show up that night. Would it be erratic iso ball kobe scoring 50 or would it be playmaker kobe going for 15 assists. That kind of inconsistency is problematic. The Lakers had there most successful runs when Kobe played consistently. And Kobe was very poor on defense this year. This isn't me being a non-laker fan there was a majority of laker blogs and fan sites calling kobe out on d.

I think it could be argued that the last couple weeks kobe was a good leader the majority of the time. But for the season as a whole. I don't think so.
You just don't understand. Kobe wasn't randomly doing different things every night. His game is largely built on trust. If guys are hitting shots early, he'll pass, if they aren't, he'll shoot more.

Late in games when guys would be tentative and not want the ball, Kobe had to take over.

I don't really see what's so confusing or erratic about that. It's quite simple actually.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Injuries probably the biggest part. Coaching changes probably didnt help, among the fact I think he is the wrong coach for the team

Collecting Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Cades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
You just don't understand. Kobe wasn't randomly doing different things every night. His game is largely built on trust. If guys are hitting shots early, he'll pass, if they aren't, he'll shoot more.

Late in games when guys would be tentative and not want the ball, Kobe had to take over.

I don't really see what's so confusing or erratic about that. It's quite simple actually.
Your right plenty of nights when Kobe was being the playmaker he did then take over for stretches (second half of season).

But for a large amount of the season that didn't happen. Specifically the beginning of the year. It was iso-ball with no attempt at playmaking.

So you don't think Kobe deserves any blame this year?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettydaw1970 View Post
injuries..no chemistry, no bench..age..
ding, ding, ding. Close the thread down
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Fair enough. I just go by what I saw from him. Granted, I didn't get to watch him every game. When you are asked to do so much, parts of your game are going to deteriorate. Some guys in the league are unguardable at times.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Your right plenty of nights when Kobe was being the playmaker he did then take over for stretches (second half of season).

But for a large amount of the season that didn't happen. Specifically the beginning of the year. It was iso-ball with no attempt at playmaking.

Again, I hate to be captain obvious here, but in the beginning of the year, they had injuries and Dwight was still recovering from injury. On top of that, they switched offenses with a new coach which isn't exactly an overnight change.

They needed to ride Kobe for a bit until everyone got used to the new system in practice and such and then they were able to implement it.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough. I just go by what I saw from him. Granted, I didn't get to watch him every game. When you are asked to do so much, parts of your game are going to deteriorate. Some guys in the league are unguardable at times.
I agree. I think that ties to the issue of coaching. The fact that Kobe was playing 46+ for like 10 straight games is ridiculous. Phil would have never allowed that.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Again, I hate to be captain obvious here, but in the beginning of the year, they had injuries and Dwight was still recovering from injury. On top of that, they switched offenses with a new coach which isn't exactly an overnight change.

They needed to ride Kobe for a bit until everyone got used to the new system in practice and such and then they were able to implement it.
Or they needed Kobe to be a leader and step up.

Riding him wasn't working very well was it? Talk about being captain obvious. The Lakers 'gameplan' was terrible in the first half of the season. Injuries or not.

So you don't think Kobe deserves any blame?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

I tend to think he gets a free pass this year. He got them into the playoffs single-handedly with his post all-star break performance. They were 7 or 8 games back at one point. I could be totally wrong on this though, but they were a ways back in the standings.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Or they needed Kobe to be a leader and step up.

Riding him wasn't working very well was it? Talk about being captain obvious. The Lakers 'gameplan' was terrible in the first half of the season. Injuries or not.

So you don't think Kobe deserves any blame?
Kobe stepped up huge this season, I don't know what you were watching.

And they weren't riding him thinking that was the key to winning everything, it was more of a get-me-by until the dust settled from everything.

It was a short term fix. Like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. He helped slow the bleeding while wound healed. If Kobe wasn't doing what he was doing early in the season, things could have been much much worse.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I tend to think he gets a free pass this year. He got them into the playoffs single-handedly with his post all-star break performance. They were 7 or 8 games back at one point. I could be totally wrong on this though, but they were a ways back in the standings.
Yes Kobe did great to get them in the place to win a couple to make it in. I just think the reason for them being in such a poor position has to do a little with Kobe so I dont know if you can just give him a free pass.

I think Kobe had 1 double digit assist game in the first 41 games and 10 in the second 41 games.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes Kobe did great to get them in the place to win a couple to make it in. I just think the reason for them being in such a poor position has to do a little with Kobe so I dont know if you can just give him a free pass.

I think Kobe had 1 double digit assist game in the first 41 games and 10 in the second 41 games.
Exactly! Second half of the season they were more comfortable in their system and Dwight was getting back into rhythm, so they were able to actually play the way they wanted to.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Kobe stepped up huge this season, I don't know what you were watching.

And they weren't riding him thinking that was the key to winning everything, it was more of a get-me-by until the dust settled from everything.

It was a short term fix. Like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. He helped slow the bleeding while wound healed. If Kobe wasn't doing what he was doing early in the season, things could have been much much worse.
So it was acceptable for them to be 17-25 to start the season? It was just 'getting-by'. Even with injuries the team was stacked and were underachieving.

So you truly believe Kobe gets no blame for the poor season?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

i just want to say how much i love this gif i found, and thank whoever created it.

Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote