Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default retired players cards

Is it just me or does anybody else feel that card companies still producing retired player cards is bad for the hobby?

It makes having true rookie cards not being as special anymore, and just dilutes the market with all these new Jordan / Magic / retired / deceased players cards coming in every year.
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

As a Maravich collector I'm gonna say no. Pete Maravich played from 70-80 and only had a total of about 25 cards. Producing modern cards of retired/deceased players does a couple of things. It keeps the older generation in the hobby and it introduces the new generation to the greats of the past. It also gives the older generation of collectors a chance to own an authentic auto of their favorite retired player. I think all that drives up the price of vintage cards because more people are chasing them. I will say that there is some allure to cards that were produced during a players prime playing days but I don't think their importance diminishes simply because companies choose to continue producing their cards.
Mires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mires View Post
As a Maravich collector I'm gonna say no. Pete Maravich played from 70-80 and only had a total of about 25 cards. Producing modern cards of retired/deceased players does a couple of things. It keeps the older generation in the hobby and it introduces the new generation to the greats of the past. It also gives the older generation of collectors a chance to own an authentic auto of their favorite retired player. I think all that drives up the price of vintage cards because more people are chasing them. I will say that there is some allure to cards that were produced during a players prime playing days but I don't think their importance diminishes simply because companies choose to continue producing their cards.
Good point. It just seems people care to rather have the newer auto jersey version of a player rather than say their actual rookie card. These newer cards seems exponentially more expensive thank their rookie cards as well.
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I started a thread about this not too long ago. I understand having autos, patches,etc as insert chase cards...but why have retired players in a base set for the 2012 season? I am a fan of lots of retired/Hof players cards that were produced during their playing days, but have no interest in seeing them on a modern base card.
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

How about a insert set called GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN from Past & Present? Insert card of all the legendary deceased player.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

OOoohhhhh how about this...a 3D card that shows a player in his rookie year and when you move the card around it changes to his present form.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
OOoohhhhh how about this...a 3D card that shows a player in his rookie year and when you move the card around it changes to his present form.
Too cool for Panini to do.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
VERY nice! So cleaver! Two thumps up for this one. First one i've given out.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallco View Post
I started a thread about this not too long ago. I understand having autos, patches,etc as insert chase cards...but why have retired players in a base set for the 2012 season? I am a fan of lots of retired/Hof players cards that were produced during their playing days, but have no interest in seeing them on a modern base card.
Speaking of, I want to find a Maravich Prizm Gold Refractor card /10.

No, I see what you're saying and I actually agree, but I still want the above card. See, that's why they make em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronMonkey415
How about a insert set called GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN from Past & Present? Insert card of all the legendary deceased player.
Yeah, but doesn't the name "Past & Present" already imply Veteran/HOF/Retired/Deceased players are included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronMonkey415
OOoohhhhh how about this...a 3D card that shows a player in his rookie year and when you move the card around it changes to his present form
That would be a scary Maravich card.
Mires is offline   Reply With Quote