Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping to Canada

Hey all,
Just got back into the hobby and noticing that sellers (especially on ebay) are charging ridiculous amounts to ship to Canada. A few years ago, sellers would maybe add 0.50 to a dollar on top of US shipping but on Ebay now i'm seeing either really high costs (7-12 for one card) OR many sellers not shipping to Canada at all.

Has something changed in the last couple years?
Can someone tell me much it costs to ship one card in a 4x6 bubble mailer these days? Can someone in the States tell me what their options are when sending a card to Canada? Why don't many sellers want to send regular mail anymore?

Any input/opinions welcome!

Thanks
TheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

USPS more than doubled the cost of international first class postage on January 27, 2013. The cheapest method is now $6.16 (using ebay/paypal postage) for up to two ounces.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea...it just got more expensive...so sellers are just avoiding it alltogether.
Nsingerma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

To clarify, Is first class postage the cheapest option?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post
To clarify, Is first class postage the cheapest option?
Yes, first class is 'letter mail,' though a bubble mailer is considered a parcel. The lowest rate if you physcially go to the post office is over $7.00. This same service was $3.00 prior to Jan. 27.

The two pros:
- one and two ounce cost the same (hopefully this leads to better packaging since skimping to get under 1 ounce doesn't change the price)
- includes delivery confirmation
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Page 44 (top right chart) - if mailed from the post office
Page 45 (left side chart) - if mailed using ebay/paypal

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/.../Notice123.pdf
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for explaining fullmetal and thanks for the links.
Man, those are some HIGH prices USPS charges. Shipping from here to you guys is a lot more reasonable...It makes more sense for me to just buy from sellers in Asia now......
Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just got back from the post office. Normally I pay $2.53 for two international stamps to ship to Canada but for whatever reason the lady only charged me $1.10 today.

This is of course w/o tracking and delivery confirmation. I wouldn't recommend doing this for items over $20-25.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

It cost me $20 to send a card to Cananda via UPS the reason shipping is higher is because all these nations signed treaty's that boost the shipping rates to help the poor countries that don't get as much shipping traffic it's insane .
tltaylor89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post
Hey all,
Just got back into the hobby and noticing that sellers (especially on ebay) are charging ridiculous amounts to ship to Canada. A few years ago, sellers would maybe add 0.50 to a dollar on top of US shipping but on Ebay now i'm seeing either really high costs (7-12 for one card) OR many sellers not shipping to Canada at all.

Has something changed in the last couple years?
Can someone tell me much it costs to ship one card in a 4x6 bubble mailer these days? Can someone in the States tell me what their options are when sending a card to Canada? Why don't many sellers want to send regular mail anymore?

Any input/opinions welcome!

Thanks
I shipped a 8 ounce package to canada yesterday and it cost me 12.00 so from now on I won't send to Canada unless the person wants to pay. I assumed it would be a couple dollars more well I was way off.
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Yes, first class is 'letter mail,' though a bubble mailer is considered a parcel. The lowest rate if you physcially go to the post office is over $7.00. This same service was $3.00 prior to Jan. 27.

The two pros:
- one and two ounce cost the same (hopefully this leads to better packaging since skimping to get under 1 ounce doesn't change the price)
- includes delivery confirmation
Wait so intl usps 1st class postage includes delivery confirmation?
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Wait so intl usps 1st class postage includes delivery confirmation?
To Canada from USA, yes many packages will get del conf. There are probably some backwater places in Canada that won't.

Here's tracking for a First Class package I recently shipped to Canada (tracking number LZ348744448US):

DELIVERED ABROAD

Jun-04-13, 08:55 AM, CA

ATTEMPTED DELIVERY ABROAD

Jun-04-13, 08:10 AM, CA

OUT OF FOREIGN CUSTOMS

Jun-01-13, 01:31 AM, CA

Arrived Abroad

May-31-13, 20:50 PM, CA

INTO FOREIGN CUSTOMS

May-31-13, 20:50 PM, CA

DISPATCHED TO SORT FACILITY

May-29-13, 17:38 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820

Accept or Pickup(by carrier)

May-29-13, 15:20 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820

Manifest Ack

May-29-13, 12:43 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820

Some First Class packages to France are also getting DC scans, here's a package I sent to France (tracking #LK045947752US):

DELIVERED ABROAD

Jun-05-13, 14:55 PM, FR

Manifest Ack

May-30-13, 22:48 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 06-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

^alex
Oh wow, I didn't know that usps intl 1st class included tracking.
On another note, does anyone know if ebay's shipcover insurance would work with this shipping option? I have always only offered usps intl priority + shipcover insurance when dealing outside the usa.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
^alex
Oh wow, I didn't know that usps intl 1st class included tracking.
On another note, does anyone know if ebay's shipcover insurance would work with this shipping option? I have always only offered usps intl priority + shipcover insurance when dealing outside the usa.
Intl DC is only working in a few select places. Most of Canada seems to have it. Large cities in France. I think I have some German deliveries that also have DC. But still, most probably don't have it.

Last time I shipped Intl First Class (a week ago), ShipCover was not an option. I still have to use Priority Flat Rate to get ShipCover.

Hope this helps. And things change all the time, so keep an eye out.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Shipping to Canada

As a Canadian, I cannot comprehend why a US seller would not ship to Canada because the shipping price went up. I'll just have to be smarter and try to combine shipping whenever I can. Otherwise I don't get the item and I'll have to wait for an Asian/European seller to advertise. It may never show up again. The increased price in shipping now includes a tracking # as for mentioned. This is great for buyer and seller.
I only use the USPS mail system with American sellers. Ebay has a new international shipper, Pitney Bowes, who charges customs and brokerage fees. I find this difficult to swallow when Canadians are allowed $100 free before customs charges begin for each purchase. I don't mind paying customs charges after $100 but it is deceiving the public applying these charges.
Please keep shipping to Canada!

Last edited by wonderful; 06-12-2013 at 10:46 PM.
wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderful View Post
As a Canadian, I cannot comprehend why a US seller would not ship to Canada because the shipping price went up. I'll just have to be smarter and try to combine shipping whenever I can. Otherwise I don't get the item and I'll have to wait for an Asian/European seller to advertise. It may never show up again. The increased price in shipping now includes a tracking # as for mentioned. This is great for buyer and seller.
I only use the USPS mail system with American sellers. Ebay has a new international shipper, Pitney Bowes, who charges customs and brokerage fees. I find this difficult to swallow when Canadians are allowed $100 free before customs charges begin for each purchase. I don't mind paying customs charges after $100 but it is deceiving the public applying these charges.
Please keep shipping to Canada!
I totally agree with you.

I would just add that by far, most buyers on eBay are totally honest. I've shipped thousands of cards to Canada, France, Germany, China, Poland, UK, Singapore, Japan, etc. Most using USPS First Class with no tracking. 99%+ of the buyers leave feedback as soon as they get the card. The key is to treat them with respect and fair shipping prices, and they will return the favor with good feedback. If you run into a scammer, block them and move on to more sales with honest buyers. Don't dwell on the negative. That has worked for me well in the last 2 years.