Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cavs will not take Noel?

Local radio stations are doing a Cavs/draft show right now. There is one beat reporter that has Chris Grant's ear and personal cell number and 99% of the time is information is accurate. He just said that he would be SHOCKED if Cavs took Noel at #1. Cavs still are far from set on their selection at 1 but according to him its between Alex Len and Ben McLemore.

Thoughts??
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think McLemore is going to be great, especially on a team where he can play second fiddle. Cavs need to trade down, not sure if there will be any takers
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

weak draft class and not one player to me fits what they need atleast at a number 1 better than Noel defense and rebounds
21taylor21-0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely don't think there will be a taker to trade down and at least get equal value for it. I think Porter is a perfect fit for us, but would be ok with Len or even McLemore/Oladipo. But if you take another SG you MUST trade Dion because those 3 will not mesh and neither would be happy as a 6th man.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alex Len?!?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

If Alex Len is the 1st pick...just wow. As a UNC fan I saw him several times this year. Decent...but not #1 pick good.
Nsingerma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

at the end of the day the picks don't always pan out the way you want anyway so? who knows what will happen talent wise.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

No way they take Len at #1. He has bust all over him. I wouldn't even take him in the top 15. Had the one good game against Duke. Had games where he scored under 10 points and had his hands full with no names. Is slow and and has no real offense moves. He will be lucky to be more than a bit player on a good team.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
No way they take Len at #1. He has bust all over him. I wouldn't even take him in the top 15. Had the one good game against Duke. Had games where he scored under 10 points and had his hands full with no names. Is slow and and has no real offense moves. He will be lucky to be more than a bit player on a good team.
Alex Len destroyed Noel in their one head to head this year. 23, 12 and 2 blocks I think it was. Just sayin...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

In the closing predictions on the show 2 of the people said Len will be the pick and the other 2 said Anthony Bennett. Wow, should be a fun 2 weeks leading up to it. Anthony Bennett would make the most "sense" based on Chris Grant's draft history. Taking the guy with what he feels is the biggest upside and everyone else's projections be damned. Two years ago it was Tristan Thompson out of the blue and last year it was Dion Waiters. So far both of those have looked to be pretty good picks, so he has at least earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

That was Noel first college game.

I was at BC-Maryland game late in season. Where Maryland had to win and was playing for NCAA bid. These 6'8 no names on BC made Len look silly. Len was slow and terrible the entire game. Few other games I saw him and he did nothing. Slow, mechanical and poor finisher around the rim. Very Derrick Williams like. He is gonna be a project with his upside being a serviceable NBA center at best.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

There was an article the other day in the Charlotte Observer talking about how Noel might fall to 4 and the Bobcats. Apparently from the article he doesnt have an agent and teams havent been able to get a clear answer on how he is rehabbing. Porter, McLemore and Bennett all have a chance to go 1-3 with Len rising on draft boards (seen him play countless times against UNC, Duke etc here in the ACC and I am not impressed by him at all).

Heres my SCA with stuff FT or FS
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jdetter23
Tarheelsfan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

How about the rumor of Ilyasova to the Wiz for the #3 pick. Obviously some more pieces would be involved. But Wall has come out saying how he wants a stretch 4. I don't think that trade would happen nor would I want it to.

My Ersan Ilyasova, Luc Mbah a Moute, & Larry Sanders Collection
http://milwbucks.webs.com/
oshmeehan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

when has a team ever gone wrong picking the big man shot blocker with obvious knee problems over the talented guard with superstar potential?
Jayhawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

lakers will trade gasol for that 1st pick?????
LAKERS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

I don't get how Len is not ranked over Noel - Noel does not have such a talent / potential / skills advantage over him (if any advantage at all) to make up for being 3 inches shorter, like 50 pounds thinner ...

Len has also shown his dedication improving tremendously from his freshman to sophomore year - I think Len will be a future all-star, Pau Gasol type player
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
That was Noel first college game.

I was at BC-Maryland game late in season. Where Maryland had to win and was playing for NCAA bid. These 6'8 no names on BC made Len look silly. Len was slow and terrible the entire game. Few other games I saw him and he did nothing. Slow, mechanical and poor finisher around the rim. Very Derrick Williams like. He is gonna be a project with his upside being a serviceable NBA center at best.
The way to beat double-teams, dominate shorter players is through EXPERIENCE - expecting Len to just dominate his competition when he's surrounded by guys who won't give him the ball in his 1st full year of College B-Ball is just silly ...

Heck, Dirk struggled vs. shorter guys / double teams during his MVP season, so I don't get how Len's struggles at the age of 19 to dominate shorter guys is held against him so much

It's the Draft - You can't judge Len just off what he's done, but of what he's going to do - He'll no doubt improve a ton the next few years and I don't see if he is healthy, how he won't be one of the best centers in the game

Comparing him to other international players who were "busts" is also misinformed (I know you didn't, but others have) - Darko, Tskitishvilli, those guys never played college ball and although Len wasn't spectacular last year, he still averaged about 12 and 8 in 26 mpg, which is respectable enough to show that he can play - Unlike Past international big men, who had very little experience and were drafted solely based off "potential"

Last edited by MavsRChamps; 06-13-2013 at 01:24 AM.
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anthony Bennett is a stud. Dave Rice had no idea on how to use him. He is far far far away defensively but offensively he is going to be a stud. His body is so big and he is so strong that being an inch or 2 undersized won't hurt him IMO. Put him in the right situation and someone can teach him how to play better D
ballahollic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Alex len's ceiling is andrew bogut.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

And I can very easily say that Nerlens Noel's ceiling is Larry Sanders. Now if you take away all of Boguts injuries he was and still is a damn good player in the league. He is like taboo though because he never can stay healthy. If I had my choice of a healthy Bogut or a healthy Larry Sanders, I'm taking Bogut 10 times out of 10.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

As a Cavs fan I wouldn't be instantly depressed if they took Len. I'm also not sold on Noel as being the piece they need. I would be happy with any one of McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Bennett. Bennett is probably the least likely of the 4 to be #1. Porter makes most sense for what they need but I think they could make a Irving, Waiters, McLemore/Oladipo rotation work.
sandlotsportcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser9698 View Post
Alex len's ceiling is andrew bogut.
The oft injured Bogut or healthy Bogut?

Because healthy Bogut is a solid 15/10 player, which isn't bad for a big man. Not great, but not bad.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

If the Cavs are drafting needs and keep the #1 pick, then they need to take Nerlens Noel.

If they are trading down, then you take the best talent on the board at that spot. Noel fits exactly what they need though so I don't understand why they wouldn't just draft him. He would flurish offensively (the best that he can anyway) with Irving constantly getting into the lane. The worst thing you get with Noel imo is Tyson Chandler.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb_sa View Post
If the Cavs are drafting needs and keep the #1 pick, then they need to take Nerlens Noel.

If they are trading down, then you take the best talent on the board at that spot. Noel fits exactly what they need though so I don't understand why they wouldn't just draft him. He would flurish offensively (the best that he can anyway) with Irving constantly getting into the lane. The worst thing you get with Noel imo is Tyson Chandler.
But how is Kyrie and Dion going to get into the lane when Noel and Tristan Thompson are ineffective more than 5 feet from the hoop? Those 4 on the floor together would be a complete clusterf**k in the paint. What they need is a floor spacer on the wing or an offensively skilled big man. Mike Brown is supposed to be a defensive guru and savior for the Cavs on D. He can work with and coach up a Porter, Len, McLemore. Noel is already so gifted on protecting the rim (which is all that is ever said about him, no mention of bodying up guys and playing 1 on 1 D) truly how much better can he get with Mike Brown? Brown won't improve his offense.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
The oft injured Bogut or healthy Bogut?

Because healthy Bogut is a solid 15/10 player, which isn't bad for a big man. Not great, but not bad.
Exactly. Not to mention his 2+ blocks per when healthy. Imagine if Bogut could shoot FTs too, career below 60%. Alex Len can shoot FTs.