Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Wow...this almost brings me to tears..makes me sick.

Long read...feel free to add your first trade/card pulls. Or if you were a dumb kid like myself and got burned by a card shop owner. Please share

Many years ago when I first started collecting I had pulled a nice MJ card that at the time I didn't think it was worth that much. I was around 10 or 11 at the time.

Bought a single pack of 98/99 Fleer Classics during a card show at my local mall. Opended it and was lucky enough to pull an insert of Michael Jordan who was my favorite basketball player at the time, my first and middle name initials are MJ. Really liked the card and showed the guy who sold me the pack what I had pulled, his eyes lit up.

It was a Michael Jordan 98/99 Fleer Classics Retro 61' Insnerts #/61

At the time I had no clue it was numbered to /61. I thought it was just the number of the card in the insert set. Asked the guy if he knew anything about the insert and what the odds were in pulling one/value. He told me I had pulled the regular insert version and the odds for pulling one, can't remember the odds but it wasn't that rare. No were near the odds of pulling the numbered version, which would have to have been one in hundreds if not thousands of pack since I dont recall there being many other players in the set.

He gave me a BV of around $30 or $50 from what I can remember. He had a some phillies Autos and GU cards that I wanted for my collection. So he offered me $50bv worth of some of the cards I liked, which I agreed to being a huge phillies fan and just started collecting they would of been one of my first Philly auto and GU cards. Can't remember what the cards were but aren't worth more then $5 each now. Cheapskate only gave me those 2 and one RC of I think Pat Burrel, he had a couple other Phillies Gu cards that I wanted but he wouldn't add them in since the 3 cards together were at $50 in BV acording to him and wouldnt add the other 2 cheap GU cards. Still at the time I didn't care and thought it was a great trade, insert card for my first GU and Auto and a RC of my favorite player. Not even 5 minutes after showing him the MJ I pulled the trade was made and he couldn't have been happier telling me how sweet the cards he traded me were and how much they'll be worth..blah blah blah

Anyways I come back to the guys stand were he sells his cards, boxes and packs at the mall a couple days later. Was going to buy the couple Phillies Gu cards that I liked before. When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes, the exact card I had traded him was center stage in his display case with a big ol' $600 price tag!

I couldn't believe it. He had _____ me and ______ me good. I like to be kissed before I get _____! (sorry just watched south park)

Confronted him about why he had a price tag of $600 on it when he told me it was only worth around $50. He said that he accidently added an extra 0 and meant to say $60. Which being a kid I believed and bought the 2 cards from him that I wanted before. Believed him until I saw the same card sitting there the next time I came by a few days later still with the $600 price tag, with now added words that said something like" very rare #/61)

Can't remember what number out of /61 it was, if it was 23 I'd probably kill myself. JK but man was I pissed when I found out he did me dirty. Yet nothing I could do, we made the deal and he took advantage of it. I am not sure if he ever did sell it, moved a year later and didn't return back to the mall for a few years were the seller still was sitting next to his display cases in the middle of the mall. Everything overpriced and nothing even worth putting in a display case let along a top loader. Most of his cards were cheap GU/Autos and base topps Rcs/Inserts.

And what do you know, the MJ I traded him was still there with a price tag of over $1k.

A couple years ago I went back to that same mall after being in town visiting family. Was told he had closed shop for a few years. I know there's no way he was making much money selling cards at the mall, other then taking advantage of kids. From the first few months of collecting and mainly going to that guy to buy cards for my collection I was usually his only customer. Never bought anything from him again after I found out the truth of the MJ insert and that it really booked over $500, not the $50 he told me.

Anyways to all you young/new collectors out there be safe and know the value of your cards! Even if you think you trust someone doesn't mean they won't stab you in the back to make a few extra bucks off you if you don't know any better.

It's just sad that this even happened. Almost forgot about it until I saw those inserts from Retro that reminded me of the card. Then started searching for the card to see if I could find one to buy since it was my first "real" pull.

Well looks like they are selling for well over a grand. Won't be getting one anytime soon that's forsure. Maybe I'll just have to settle for the base version the guy told me I had pulled, for now.

Here is the card and the only one up on eBay..
Michael Jordan 1998 99 Fleer Classic '61 BGS 9 Mint SP 39 61 Extremely RARE POP2 | eBay

Kill me now.

Last edited by Otherside; 06-20-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Otherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I remember when I was a kid and I wanted to go the card shop my momma would always go with me just because of situations like this.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

damn, thats horrible.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Am I the only one having issues with this post?

I'm thinking that the price you received ($50-$60) was the BV at the time for this card. No way it was a $500 card then.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Scum of the earth. If you have to rip off kids to make a dollar your life isnt worth living
nickha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post

I'm thinking that the price you received ($50-$60) was the BV at the time for this card. No way it was a $500 card then.
I think it booked 500.

It booked high, I remember that much.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Lol, nooooo. More than likely it had something like a 200x multiplier or something. Did you not read that after quoting a $50 bv, he came back a few DAYS later and it had a $600 price tag.

Even back then MJ inserts were high.
hychang5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
I remember when I was a kid and I wanted to go the card shop my momma would always go with me just because of situations like this.
Both my parrents were serving over seas at the time, was staying with my grandparrents. I lived right next to the mall so would just ride my bike over there and hit up Van's Skatepark tooo bad they tore it down and replace it with a Costco
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

whoops forgot to say it wasn't during release. Was around 02-03, about ten years ago when I pulled the card. BV for the /61 version of was well over the $50-60 he quoted me, which he said was for the base non numbered version. Pretty sure it booked $500-600 at the time, as all his prices were high book. These /61 ones were hard pulls, MJ was deff the best pull out of the bunch. Though if I pulled Iverson I'd probably still have it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
I think it booked 500.

It booked high, I remember that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hychang5 View Post
Lol, nooooo. More than likely it had something like a 200x multiplier or something. Did you not read that after quoting a $50 bv, he came back a few DAYS later and it had a $600 price tag.

Even back then MJ inserts were high.

yeah I think it was something like that 200x the multiplier was nuts and I'm pretty sure MJ was listed with either $500 or $600. ended up buying a beckett basketball or tuff stuff and looking it up. heck I probably still have it found a box of old tuff stuffs and becketts in my parrents old house not long ago.

Also found a few old kids SI isssues, had the right year for the Tiger but guess I was missing a few months.

yeah his low #rd inserts were pretty expensive in early 00s. I'm sure even right after release they were selling for over $100. Now are getting around a grand...if only pulling that MJ would have made me focus my collection on his 90s inserts!(if I had a million dollars) I'd be rich
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

it goes both ways, I remember having tons of shaq, mutumbo and even "BILLY OWENS" rookie stuff that I sold for very nice amounts, all that stuff isn't worth much of anything now, that first shaq beam team was worth thousands at the time when I sold it, you can buy that thing under $50 no problem now. I remember selling every billy owens rookie card for $7 when I pulled em back then, it never really made sense because you could basically just open packs and make all your money back & more.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickha2 View Post
Scum of the earth. If you have to rip off kids to make a dollar your life isnt worth living

Yeah he lost a customer forever. I know he didn't sell it for years maybe still has it, who knows. Wish I knew which number out of 61 I had. That's really bugging me. He had to lose a TON of money paying for his small section of the mall. Not sure how much it actually cost to set up those booths but he was set up for a few years there and there wasn't many collectors in the area. Went to most of the card shows for the few years I lived there and the most people to show up would of be 15-20 tops. Most of the time my brother and I were the only ones there looking through singles for our sets and PC.

I'm sure the MJ kept him in business for a bit longer. Should have just went out and bought the non numbered version and asked to take a look at the card I traded him for "old time sake" or whatever and switched it with base version. However I am a better man then him.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

We were once all newbies and kids after all.

I remember paying $25 on iverson common gu. And a $40 on a melo mvp rc. Dammmit! Those are not even close to $2 now
GoldenBoy23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

When he said he accidentally added an extra zero the first time, you should have just handed him 60 bucks and bought the card back
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee712 View Post
When he said he accidentally added an extra zero the first time, you should have just handed him 60 bucks and bought the card back

Lol...

Yup
CxG Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jin

Dam dude, what a true scumbag.

Same thing happened to my friend. His poor grandpa dropped 5 hundo on what he thought was a Jordan RC for his birthday when he was just a little kid. My friend didn't know until we were in high school when I pointed it out. worst, shock, ever lol.

But guys like that really put the hobby to shame. Thanks for sharing your story!

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
it goes both ways, I remember having tons of shaq, mutumbo and even "BILLY OWENS" rookie stuff that I sold for very nice amounts, all that stuff isn't worth much of anything now, that first shaq beam team was worth thousands at the time when I sold it, you can buy that thing under $50 no problem now. I remember selling every billy owens rookie card for $7 when I pulled em back then, it never really made sense because you could basically just open packs and make all your money back & more.
Not really the same.

There is a difference between selling something at market value for the time and getting below market value (or robbed, like OP was).

The price of cards are always going to go up and down, but you didn't rob anyone by selling the Shaq Beam Team or Billy Owens rookies high. You cashed in on what the value was at the time... which is smart. Like what can happen in stocks, the bottom fell out of the early 90s card market. Unlucky for those who bought big and never sold.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Similar instance happened with me but not with basketball.

I was also a little older, maybe about 14 or so.

Pulled a Bobby Orr autograph. Shop owner convinced me it was worth $75 and to trade it for the latest/greatest box of football cards.

The Orr can probably be had now for $100 but at the time I remember steaming when I saw it in his showcase for $250.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I would have probably flipped my crap and attemted to steal it back if I found that out. Sorry to hear, I hate stories like these.
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that, it sickens me too...at least he's out of business now though. ...then again, he's probably on ebay now.
AbraCalabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
Hell no, how is this the same? One is selling a "hot" rookie at going rate, the other is purposefully lying to a kid about value to make a huge profit.

I sold a Todd Van Popel rookie for $3, I didn't rip anybody off, this seller did.
hychang5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

In other news.. Nice hit.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Yeah typical card show collector. Those guys make you think you have worthless junk.

Don't ever sell to a card reseller until you do major research. When I started in the hobby I got taken a few times. But hey it is a learning experience.

Got to burn to learn sometimes. You will be fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

This is very common. I remember waaaay back in the day a kid pulled a frank thomas 96 circa rave at a card show, at the time a $300-$400 card, and the guy who sold him the pack immediately bought it back for a couple bucks. The dealer was called out and shamed by his fellow dealers, it was actually a pretty intense scene.

As long as there are people who don't know what they have, there will be losers to capitalize upon them, no matter their age
thenwhatjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

no need to dwell on the past. Just move on and do research to make sure it doesnt happen again!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote