Blowout Cards Forums
2017 Fire & Ice

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Question What are your thoughts of the sale price of this Jordan 90's insert?

The gem mint bgs 9.5 of this card sold(?) for $7,000.00+ at auction, while the mint 9 has sold around $3,000.00

PSA 9 Michael Jordan 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion 98' Greats 100 259P | eBay

What are your thoughts?
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

The prices that you quoted are for the Series 1 Platinum MJ. The one in the auction is the series 2 which usually sells for significantly less. I do not know what the Series 1 is selling for these days as a raw copy however, that auction does seem several hundred dollars low.
Clipperfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperfan3 View Post
The prices that you quoted are for the Series 1 Platinum MJ. The one in the auction is the series 2 which usually sells for significantly less. I do not know what the Series 1 is selling for these days as a raw copy however, that auction does seem several hundred dollars low.
No, i'm quotting it correctly. $7000+ for the card #259P

PWCC (is that their name) was the seller. Not sure who the buyer was. I once had the link to that very auction, and may still. I will look now.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is an ugly card...
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pretty sure that card never sold for anywhere near $7k... the base version with the very condition sensitive edges possibly, but not the subset.
And it could have been natsturner making sure he got it, bit hard to go off one past sale like that.

What do you think of Nate Thurmond Silhouettes - this was previously a $10k card but it only got bids of up to $300-odd?
Attention: Rookie year cards contain 'player worn' memorabilia. This could be any jersey worn by any person at any time (if even worn at all). In my opinion these should purely be considered as part of the design of the card.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
That is an ugly card...
Ugly card that sold(?) for $7000+ in gem 9.5? I cleared my ebay watched auctions....

Can someone back this up?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Ugly card that sold(?) for $7000+ in gem 9.5? I cleared my ebay watched auctions....

Can someone back this up?
Is now the RIGHT time to sell you Michael Jordan Exquisite Cards???

#103 of your own post.

It DID sell for $7k (as well as $3K). $7k is BGS 9.5. $3k is PSA 10. This OP link is PSA 9.

I'm not sure how you can compare PSA 9, PSA 10 and BGS 9.5 on the same scale. Whether PSA 9 should be 1/4 of what PSA 10 sells for, that is up for discussion.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The gem mint bgs 9.5 of this card sold(?) for $7,000.00+ at auction, while the mint 9 has sold around $3,000.00

PSA 9 Michael Jordan 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion 98' Greats 100 259P | eBay

What are your thoughts?
That was sold by one of the biggest scammers/trimmers in the market.

I think people are starting to catch onto what he's doing, which leads me to believe he is not getting anywhere near the prices he could be...I've also seen alot of the cards being sold by this guy show up for sale by Prewar just a few months later.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotachill View Post
That was sold by one of the biggest scammers/trimmers in the market.

I think people are starting to catch onto what he's doing, which leads me to believe he is not getting anywhere near the prices he could be...I've also seen alot of the cards being sold by this guy show up for sale by Prewar just a few months later.
So you're thinking, that even with this low price, it will still be relisted? You're probably right! Which makes me wonder.... how much would this card REALLY bring in an auction of an honest seller, with no shillers involved. I guess the shillers and pumpers will never let us know for sure?

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was relisted.... but who knows, maybe because we're talking about it, it won't.

So yeah, here is the link of the $7000+ sale.... 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion Michael Jordan 259 100 BGS 9 5 Gem Mint | eBay

Here is the series 1 just sitting on ebay at a lower price than that: 1997 1998 97 98 Michael Jordan Ultra Platinum Medallion 23P Ed to 100 BGS 9 5 | eBay
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Man, all the threads going against 90s MJ inserts... It's like without the Heat and Lebron, these have become the new cool thing top hate on. If you don't like them, don't buy them. Pretty simple solution. I personally think they are dope. Overpriced for me but pretty dope.
GC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1980 View Post
Man, all the threads going against 90s MJ inserts... It's like without the Heat and Lebron, these have become the new cool thing top hate on. If you don't like them, don't buy them. Pretty simple solution. I personally think they are dope. Overpriced for me but pretty dope.
This thread is very simple. I found the ending price of this card shocking.... so I asked for thoughts. Pretty simple stuff. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Holy hell, it did actually get bid up to that. All I can think of is that some insane person/someone with too much money needed it for their 'gem mint' collection and paid whatever it took.

Utter madness
Attention: Rookie year cards contain 'player worn' memorabilia. This could be any jersey worn by any person at any time (if even worn at all). In my opinion these should purely be considered as part of the design of the card.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I bet the guy's that bought these for peanuts are thinking wow it is easy to part a fool with there money lol.
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

prewarcardcollector

The magic ebay account that could probably fetch $1,000 for a base 1990 jordan psa 10.

POP 1 OF 1 - NONE GRADED HIGHER!
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
prewarcardcollector

The magic ebay account that could probably fetch $1,000 for a base 1990 jordan psa 10.

POP 1 OF 1 - NONE GRADED HIGHER!
LOL , PWCC is just a front , it doesn't take brain science .

All these consigners seem to have higher prices , but you will get the super hobby nerds tell you that they have loyal buyers Lol give me a break .

I am glad i am not addicted to this hobby like a lot are .
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have to chuckle at such a card selling for 7k and it being legit.

I was a lurker on both BO and HK when all this was going on and had a hard time believing that people actually thought all this was legitimate.

...by the way, to the buyers, I have some viable, real life dinosaur eggs for sale, great investment, only $1,000,000 each!
AbraCalabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

The 90's market ran out of buyers for the big dollar cards.

I sold some nice Jordans early on, and everything was very rare, Pop 1 or Pop 2.
A year later you look at the same cards and the Pop report has ballooned to 4, 5, maybe 6 or more. All because the scammers have finally figured out that you can get any trimmed card past BGS.

People start to lose faith in BGS and question whether or not their cards are trimmed and prices soften.
New products are released and these 90's cards become a thing of the past.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Overpriced like usual
and more likely shilled than not

85K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Looks like Nats Turner paid $7k for that card.

Like I said before, once the deep pocket guys who would pay 50x the market value got out of the game, the sellers no longer had anyone to dupe.
Orangejello727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotachill View Post
The 90's market ran out of buyers for the big dollar cards.

I sold some nice Jordans early on, and everything was very rare, Pop 1 or Pop 2.
A year later you look at the same cards and the Pop report has ballooned to 4, 5, maybe 6 or more. All because the scammers have finally figured out that you can get any trimmed card past BGS.

People start to lose faith in BGS and question whether or not their cards are trimmed and prices soften.
New products are released and these 90's cards become a thing of the past.
Great info, thanks!

Yeah, I know what you mean... that BGS 9.5 Jordan PMG that was trimmed. What a bunch of clowns over at Beckett. I've lost faith it them, and grading all together, a long time before that. This is why if I do send in cards these days, it's just to get them slabbed in their holders - I like the protection. Could care less about the grade. As long as the eye appeal is good.

I agree with you all.... people have started to realize what has been going on, and the other things mentioned above.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Sportsitupcards: You were right about it being the Series 2. I remember seeing a sale of the series 1 a while back that was crazy.

You have to keep in the mind the date of that $7000+ sale. December 2011... There was a lockout going on and there was no new product out. A lot of people started going back and chasing older sets. Michael Jordan cards had the most gain in this period. This is the exact reason why Fleer Retro was invented by UD. It was because there was a massive market for 90s cards at the time. They would have never made a knock-off 90's product if the originals weren't selling so well. At the time, I had a regular table at my card show and probably less then 5% of all the people who frequent the show go forums like this one and many were asking me about the 90s cards during this time. There was nothing new coming out (except Fleer Retro which I had to wait almost a year to get in hand) and people who want to collect will eventually find something to collect.

Also, the buyers have everything to do with it... If there are 2-3 deep pocket buyers worldwide then the card is worth what they are willing to pay... However, that doesn't mean it's worth that crazy number to the rest of us especially if they all get there's and don't go for doubles.

I don't think you will ever see 3 digit prices ever again on the super rare MJ's such as PMG, Rubies, Credentials etc... Even if they got to crazy prices through dishonest means most of those prices are here to stay even if they drop 30% from the record highs and settle.

I do agree that there were a lot of MJ's that were over-hyped and overpriced. My two examples were the Dunk N Go nuts which was only a 1:20 pack card and came from a VC RC year product which means all the packs were opened thus saturating the market with that card and the other being the takeit2net /1000. Those cards were definitely over-hyped and overpriced. However a 15 year old condition sensitive card that only has 50 copies (where only half may have been pulled) of the greatest player of all time should sell for a lot. The sky is the limit for that type of card and I expect those cards to increase in value over time as they get older and more difficult to find.
Clipperfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

There is technology to print 90's insert just as good as the original. Sooner or later, even BGS will grade those fake insert as like a new one. By then, those 90's inserts wouldn't stay high. Everyone will have a copy, and no one can tell who has the real one.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Sportsitupcards....

You have to be the most ignorant collector this hobby has ever seen...

You do not use facts when trying to point out the ridiculous opionons you form, all you do is take bits and pieces of information put a completely fabricated story together and try and sell it as much as you can....Over and over and over and over again!

You don't address anyone that comes along and points out your opionon is not based on fact, you just simply say the same thing over and over...

You say that all the 90's inserts were all fake hype and no one was really buying at the extremely high prices...

The problem with that opionon is, you can't back it up with fact, you can't tell which cards did or didn't sell using fact.

Think about this....

I'll dumb it down for you...

SOME 90's MJ inserts could have been manipulated, SOME of them could have been bought and sold to make it look like people are actually paying huge prices for these very rare cards...

What does that do to the market?

All it takes is a few people wanting the same kind of cards bad enough and the next thing you know we have LEGIT buyers coming along and paying huge amounts to secure these cards...

Now the thing you can't seem to grasp is, the MARKET has now changed, the market is now being controlled buy a common perception that if you want these rare cards, the prices are set and a LEGIT president has been established...

If we look at a single card and look at its most common selling point, then it's very easy to see what the card is truly worth...

The 90's inserts are taking a hit and prices are falling and that is because of the entire market is down and no body has the money to spend like they did in previous years...

I have seen people come along and just start buying every 90's MJ insert they can find, I have seen people win every card they go after and pay well above what the normal selling price is...

These people are the people that keep the selling price high, because if anyone else wants the same cards, the prices are going to go up!

That's the thing you don't understand, you don't know what each and every collector is willing to pay, there are too many variables in this hobby....

So SPORTSITUPCARDS until you can grasp that the market has changed from the days of when you could buy a 90's rare insert for less then today's MJ auto prices, you will never be able to see that your point of view is inconsistent with fact.
Hegotgame15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotgame15 View Post

I have seen people come along and just start buying every 90's MJ insert they can find, I have seen people win every card they go after and pay well above what the normal selling price is...

These people are the people that keep the selling price high, because if anyone else wants the same cards, the prices are going to go up!

That's the thing you don't understand, you don't know what each and every collector is willing to pay, there are too many variables in this hobby....
Here is what I dont understand,

If I put up a MJ Rave /399 for sale, Ill get half of what arteepower will get

If I put up a MJ finest die cut refractor /74 bgs 9.5 up for sale ill get 15k less than what rareair will get on ebay.

This is during the exact same time of selling. How do you explain that?
Orangejello727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Here is what I dont understand,

If I put up a MJ Rave /399 for sale, Ill get half of what arteepower will get

If I put up a MJ finest die cut refractor /74 bgs 9.5 up for sale ill get 15k less than what rareair will get on ebay.

This is during the exact same time of selling. How do you explain that?
Maybe the popularity of the names? The sellers and buyers I mean. Most would prefer to buy from a reputable/ popular seller than from Joe Snuffy?

I'm not sure if that matters or not...just a thought.
CxG Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote