Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default UD's Richard McWilliam died in Jan 2013? When does UD go under?

I just read a post in the baseball forum about UD, and that McWilliam died in January 2013. I had not heard that. RIP.

I would suspect, since McWilliam was such a "hands on" owner, that UD would be in talks to sell. And I had heard that MJ was part owner of UD, but also that he and McWilliam got along and that's part of the reason why MJ won't allow his likeness to be used by other card manufacturers.

I sure hope this means UD will finally go poof, or be sold, or whatever is needed so that LeBron auto's and MJ's likeness can finally be back on NBA licensed cards.

Anyone have any more info?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
DrJ Converse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,010
Default

Beckett News » NBC Report: Richard McWilliam’s death caused by alcohol poisoning

According to the story, the autopsy report states that “McWilliam had been binge drinking for several days and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.27 in his system at the time of his death.” That amount is three times the legal limit and, according to the autopsy report, NBCSanDiego said, he had “alcoholic dementia and was abusing pain medication


This could explain some of the downfall of the company. He was the head and it was a private enterprise so I imagine he was making less than competent decisions. Maybe UD will make a turnaround under new leadership.
DrJ Converse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CHI-town
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ Converse View Post
Beckett News » NBC Report: Richard McWilliam’s death caused by alcohol poisoning

According to the story, the autopsy report states that “McWilliam had been binge drinking for several days and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.27 in his system at the time of his death.” That amount is three times the legal limit and, according to the autopsy report, NBCSanDiego said, he had “alcoholic dementia and was abusing pain medication


This could explain some of the downfall of the company. He was the head and it was a private enterprise so I imagine he was making less than competent decisions. Maybe UD will make a turnaround under new leadership.

Yea it sounds like he had a stranglehold on that company. Someone must have stepped in because they are still making cards without skipping a beat. Skys the limit now.

Perhaps in a few short years we will have Jordan back in a Bulls uniform!!
jjjackson32977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjackson32977 View Post
Yea it sounds like he had a stranglehold on that company. Someone must have stepped in because they are still making cards without skipping a beat. Skys the limit now.

Perhaps in a few short years we will have Jordan back in a Bulls uniform!!
IF UD can turn it around and get an NBA license, that'd be cool as heck! But Panini has such a lock, and the NBA doesn't seem to care for UD, so I doubt that's going to happen. So I'm rooting for UD being bought out by Panini.

Whatever it takes to get NBA licensed cards of LeBron auto's and MJ likeness.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
IF UD can turn it around and get an NBA license, that'd be cool as heck! But Panini has such a lock, and the NBA doesn't seem to care for UD, so I doubt that's going to happen. So I'm rooting for UD being bought out by Panini.

Whatever it takes to get NBA licensed cards of LeBron auto's and MJ likeness.
I doubt that will happen considering Panini is looking to sell their company.

http://www.lospaziobianco.it/82535-panini-vendita
__________________
Skybox/Fleer Autographics Set Collector
NBA: 96-97 (95/95), 97-98 (114/118), 98-99 (131/139), 99-00 (114/118), 00-01 (47/63)
NFL: '97 (68/68), '98 (71/73), '99 (80/82), '00 (47/160)
MLB: '99 (51/53), '00 (91/133)
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CHI-town
Posts: 452
Default

It also seemed apparent in the story that MJ was good friends with McWilliams.

I wonder if he would pull his likeness altogether.

Panini is a joke as well anymore...I find myself gravitating back to my roots. That being Topps...they don't do basketball but basketball cards have lost their luster for me.
jjjackson32977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
I doubt that will happen considering Panini is looking to sell their company.

La Panini è in vendita? - LoSpazioBianco, nel cuore del fumetto
That's true, Panini (or some part of it) is being sold. But Panini is a huge company, worth much more than UD. It could be possible that new investors will try to buy out UD as part of their strategy, no?

Time will tell. All I know is collectors want NBA licensed cards of LeBron auto's and MJ likeness. Panini, UD, someone else, I wish they'd just get it done already...
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 242
Default

Hoping for a company to go under (putting a LOT of people out of work) just to get autos of a couple of players in NBA uniforms is a bit much. UD has LeBron and Jordan, they're obviously paying them very well to keep them on board to help keep their ship afloat, accept it!
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CHI-town
Posts: 452
Default

do you (OP) even collect cards?

All I ever see you do is case breaks and talk about how you aren't making any money even though you get cases from Panini at a discount...

I apologize in advance if I offend you by this comment, but it just seems like you want this to happen a little too badly
jjjackson32977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

I'm interested in NBA licensed LeBron auto's and MJ cards. I'm not hoping for UD to go under or their work force being let go. I see now my original post has a misguided title.

I am not a collector. I am a reseller. But jjjackson32977 is incorrect, I do not post my business financial results, I post gross value coming out of cases. Some collectors on here have said they find the information useful.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CHI-town
Posts: 452
Default

in doing what you do would you say that kobe autos have dipped tho?

I wonder if bringing LeBron and Jordan to Panini would make it better or worse???
jjjackson32977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ivbaseball06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 2,621
Default

Please God don't let Panini ruin LBJ and MJ pro autos too. Kobe autos are a dime a dozen now.
__________________
SELLING The Ohio State Buckeyes Supercollection!
Albums: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/ivbaseball06
Paypal address: jordan.lawver@gmail.com
ivbaseball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
oldgoldy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: land of 10,000 letdowns
Posts: 10,962
Default

Maybe MJ will take over UD and run it as successfully as he has run NBA teams.


On second thought....
__________________
99% of my cards are pack-pulled
Collecting since 1987
It's okay to say or do whatever you want as long as you don't scam
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CHI-town
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
Maybe MJ will take over UD and run it as successfully as he has run NBA teams.


On second thought....
It'd be all MJ autos!!!
jjjackson32977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivbaseball06 View Post
Please God don't let Panini ruin LBJ and MJ pro autos too. Kobe autos are a dime a dozen now.
Seriously? And how is UD pumping out LeBron and MJ college autos different?????
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,133
Default

If you collect for the fun, then what does 'dime a dozen' matter? Only those interested in profiteering worry about abundance.
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Hoping for a company to go under (putting a LOT of people out of work) just to get autos of a couple of players in NBA uniforms is a bit much. UD has LeBron and Jordan, they're obviously paying them very well to keep them on board to help keep their ship afloat, accept it!
I don't think 150-250 employees warrants all caps, but if another company buys them, many can still keep a job.
jamuser304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
IronMonkey415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 13,500
Default

The more Kobe auto the better.
__________________
Only shipping in the U.S.
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
CP3toOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjackson32977 View Post
It'd be all MJ autos!!!
It has already been done
MJ Master Collection
__________________
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.