Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #76 (permalink)

Just when I thought I could feel confident in buying a pack of Panini basketball.... boom.... $1250..... you don't know what you don't know
bayzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #77 (permalink)

I wouldn't doubt a 1/1 subset of the veteran patch autos featuring a logoman instead of just a patch
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #78 (permalink)

These are some of the best-looking cards I've ever seen. I think they've done an incredible job with the design. With that being said... no way in hell am I spending $1250/box lol. And you've got to have some balls to charge that price with some of the names included in the preview. I usually have negative things to say about their designs, so I'll end with something positive, this is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of design. Near perfect.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #79 (permalink)

I am not surprised at the price at all. They will package it in a pretty box, add precious gems, Lillard autos, short print the run and allocate it so it is harder to get, and fools will line up willing to pay $2000 a box. Bash Panini all you want but they are genius on this one.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
These are some of the best-looking cards I've ever seen. I think they've done an incredible job with the design. With that being said... no way in hell am I spending $1250/box lol. And you've got to have some balls to charge that price with some of the names included in the preview. I usually have negative things to say about their designs, so I'll end with something positive, this is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of design. Near perfect.
Yeah, it's really hard to fault the design. And that's the important thing. Well done Panini.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
Banned

You guys are forgetting about players like Kobe & Durant whose stuff in this product will most likely be seen very often and sell super well. I mean a patch auto of Kobe out of this stuff numbered to 10 or 5? Were talking $700-1000 easy on that one card alone.
ASAPPORKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #82 (permalink)

so my question is... if this is ONE TIME ONLY PRODUCT.... will it hold value???????
benz35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #83 (permalink)

LOOK like many more surprises in the coming days. I don't like the jumbo patch autos, half the patch is hidden. They should've learn from Preferred Silos...
773cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz35 View Post
so my question is... if this is ONE TIME ONLY PRODUCT.... will it hold value???????
If Panini revert to their usual crap (i.e. sticker autos), then yes.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #85 (permalink)

Im not sure why I let it bother me so much, but seeing the $1250 pricetag of this infuriates me....well infuriates me as much as I will let cards infuriate me.

Well I sort of commend Panini for trying something new...just as UD did with Exquisite.

However, I feel like one of those disgruntled people on here who you always hear complaining "this isnt a hobby anymore." Based on what we have seen so far, what justifies this price? It is nothing but NT the way NT should be. It is nothing new or nothing innovative with twice as much asking price as anything we have ever seen before.

I hate how basketball is turning into prospecting. Im angry that if I want a high end rookie card of kyrie (who gets hurt all the time) its going to cost me over $1500. I can buy really nice MJ and Lebron autos in high end products for less. Those arent just legends. Those are the two greatest of all time.

Where on earth can a Kyrie RC go from where it already is? I have a good job with a decent amount of spending money, but how many "collectors" are truly out there who can justify just keeping a piece of cardboard for over 3k. I know basketball people have limitless funds it seems, but this is wild when unestablished young stars sell for these crazy amounts.

In terms of product hierarchy, I dont mind having 1 extremely high end product, with other "high end products" like NT and Immaculate-just as UD did with Exquisite, followed by UD Black, SP authentic, Ultimate. 2008-09 was when I got back into the hobby. The difference between then and now is SP Authentic cost roughly $150 a box, Ultimate around $250, and (I think) around $200 for UD Black with Exquisite around $500. Think about what it costs now to find a quality product.

Hopefully Ive never spewed off like a crazy conspiracy theorist before or have come across as one, but I feel like this is nothing but a pump and dumpers wet dream. Hopefully they can all keep to themselves on this product. This product is bad for the hobby.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773cards View Post
LOOK like many more surprises in the coming days. I don't like the jumbo patch autos, half the patch is hidden. They should've learn from Preferred Silos...
I'm not sure it's hidden, I think it is two different smaller patches, if they aren't, yeah it is crazy to cover up that much of the patch.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #87 (permalink)

Three things here:

1. Obviously it would probably server most of us better to just buy the singles, I'm sure some will pop up for cheap.

2. It's like a blend of Panini signature and NT (that doesn't warrant $1250). I'm sure they weren't expecting Immaculate's popularity to pop the way it has, and when it did they figured to raise the price of Flawless.

3. Putting out their top 3 products in succession is not a bright idea.
Pat3ntP3nd1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAPPORKY View Post
You guys are forgetting about players like Kobe & Durant whose stuff in this product will most likely be seen very often and sell super well. I mean a patch auto of Kobe out of this stuff numbered to 10 or 5? Were talking $700-1000 easy on that one card alone.
Hit a Kobe patch auto, sell it for $750. After fees, you have $650, and still lose $600 on the pack. There will probably be crap left in the pack too as the Kobe will be considered the "good" hit.

There needs to be more .................

Or noone in their right mind is breaking.

Last edited by obzezzed; 09-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.
obzezzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #89 (permalink)

I know two things about this set. It looks really great and I am jealous of those who can afford to bust this stuff and have the courage to do so. $1,250 seems high but it does look like you get some great value. This is one set where your base card could pay for the whole box without being a 1/1. Good luck to all of you who do break it!
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #90 (permalink)

com'on guys. do we remember ud back!!!!

what was the price for a 2 card box!!!!! ud black was more expensive then exquisite and nobody cared about it because ud was able to hide the high costs with just 2 cards per box!!! that was about 1000$ for a 10 card box 5 years ago!!!

calculate that to 10 cards per pack and add the info that you get an real emerald or diamond per box in addition to 7 au's ( what will be 2-3 star/legends for sure ) and 2 jumbo patch cards ( what i expect to be better as we saw in the immaculate preview )

most time ud black delivered 1 jersey card and an au per box and they still used stickers for them!

Last edited by lennox.p; 09-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
lennox.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #91 (permalink)

$1250?! that means probably close to $1500 lcs, after the distributor's mark up.. Yikes, i'll pass on this one and pick up a few singles on the secondary market
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennox.p View Post

what was the price for a 2 card box!!!!! ud black was more expensive then exquisite and nobody cared about it because ud was able to hide the high costs with just 2 cards per box!!!

calculate that to 10 cards per pack and add the info that you get an real emerald or diamond per box in addition to 7 au's ( what will be 2-3 star/legends for sure ) and 2 jumbo patch cards ( what i expect to be better as we saw in the immaculate preview )

most time ud black delivered 1 jersey card and an au per box!
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less ridiculous the price seems. If they would have made there be half as many cards per pack at half the price ($625 about the price of NT) not nearly as many people would be complaining about it. $1250 just seems like a really big number for one box.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #93 (permalink)

ralph sampson patch auto is pretty cool.

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #94 (permalink)

Maybe it'll motivate younger kids to start collecting. You know, all those kids with a $750,000+ a year allowance. It's called a "golden blanky" for when they retire. Hey, it's not easy to find a talented kid-CEO, you gotta reward them. Seriously though doesn't this suck the value out of the previous products thought to be the highest end? Doubt they can keep selling NT for $750 a box.
Jayhawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastman View Post
ralph sampson patch auto is pretty cool.
Yeah it is, i'll probably try to pick up one of those, and an Hakeem All star auto.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #96 (permalink)

I just don't see how NT single prices could hold even if Kyrie and Davis come up with another big year (which they are capable of), but most of the other NT rare patch/autos don't stand a chance (look at 10/11 NT)...

These cards look GREAT but to get one of those you STILL have to avoid the Kris Middleton's and Darius Morris's, which is very hard to do when buying Panini with the double rookie class... I honestly didn't see one card in that preview that I would pay $1250... the Lillard Inscription would be my top choice if I had to buy one for $1250, luckily we don't!

Last edited by bayzhead; 09-05-2013 at 07:10 PM.
bayzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennox.p View Post

what was the price for a 2 card box!!!!! ud black was more expensive then exquisite and nobody cared about it because ud was able to hide the high costs with just 2 cards per box!!! that was about 1000$ for a 10 card box 5 years ago!!!

most time ud black delivered 1 jersey card and an au per box and they still used stickers for them!
Besides rookies, what are the best hit in flawless? In Black you got MJ/Lebron/Kobe; Flawless has Durant/Kobe/...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzezzed View Post
Hit a Kobe patch auto, sell it for $750. After fees, you have $650, and still lose $600 on the pack. There will probably be crap left in the pack too as the Kobe will be considered the "good" hit.

There needs to be more .................

Or noone in their right mind is breaking.
I think the kobe patch autos would go at least $800(imo if patch is more than 2 colors)
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #98 (permalink)
Jin

If this product's quality was the same as NT and a mish mash of re-used designs and pictures like most of Panini's releases, then $1200+ a box would be ludacris. But to be fair, the design is unique and these are some of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen.

So while $1200 is still ridiculous, at least you are getting a product that will be
A. Unique and solely designed as a stand-alone product
B. Beautifully designed
C. Highly sought after just because of the cost

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Besides rookies, what are the best hit in flawless? In Black you got MJ/Lebron/Kobe; Flawless has Durant/Kobe/...?

I think the kobe patch autos would go at least $800(imo if patch is more than 2 colors)
Durant/Kobe/Ralph Sampson is way better than MJ/Kobe/Lebron!

Many mojos!
Don't be a crybaby when your leafs fall in fall
Thanks Tracy!
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
If this product's quality was the same as NT and a mish mash of re-used designs and pictures like most of Panini's releases, then $1200+ a box would be ludacris. But to be fair, the design is unique and these are some of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen.

So while $1200 is still ridiculous, at least you are getting a product that will be
A. Unique and solely designed as a stand-alone product
B. Beautifully designed
C. Highly sought after just because of the cost
There you go! Really nothing special that hasn't been done before, but put a $1200 price tag on it and it is high end.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote