Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Would I pay a PREMIUM for Game Used over Event Used?
Yes 53 53.54%
No 8 8.08%
Don't care about either, give me an on card auto 38 38.38%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Game Used Vs Event Used.

Just wondering what the community's thoughts are with regards to this subject. I've heard arguments from both sides. Some say event worn game worn...eehhh, some say event worn is crap, some say I wish everything was game used. Does an all game used product command a higher resale value? Or does it not matter.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Common sense would tell you game used/Flawless should have more value..However, short or long term, will it have more value is the ultimate question...I think an initial surge in interest n value will be due to the newness of Flawless/game used, which will result in short lived drop in event worn /NT stuff. In the end, it will all even out and the players who do well will determine the value from any of the products, event or game worn..
Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonygo View Post
Common sense would tell you game used/Flawless should have more value..However, short or long term, will it have more value is the ultimate question...I think an initial surge in interest n value will be due to the newness of Flawless/game used, which will result in short lived drop in event worn /NT stuff. In the end, it will all even out and the players who do well will determine the value from any of the products, event or game worn..

I really was not trying to promote or dis a specific product. The argument has been made to me that people will not pay more for game used. I just wonder if its true or not. So far the poll results suggest that people value game worn more.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some of my Durant RCs have memorabilia worn by KD at the Rookie photo shoot. This is a very special event in the life of every NBA player. We all know exactly when and where it was worn.
I would prefer this over a game-worn jsy piece from a game where OKC lost against a non-playoff team.
Durantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durantula View Post
Some of my Durant RCs have memorabilia worn by KD at the Rookie photo shoot. This is a very special event in the life of every NBA player. We all know exactly when and where it was worn.
I would prefer this over a game-worn jsy piece from a game where OKC lost against a non-playoff team.

This is good insight. I assume you voted no.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durantula View Post
I´m agree.. Event worn is the first time... only one rookie photo shoot in his career.... You can see the things from different points of view...

Maybe the first autos should be more valuable, first collections....

Last edited by airball; 09-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
airball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

With all the lawsuits about game used jerseys and what not, I say to hell with all relic cards. They are all pretty much bogus to me.
The event used are about the only ones I trust were even worn by the players if it was from Rookie Premieres and whatever.

On card autos all day every day. Stickers are ugly. And why, if the card says signed in the presence of a rep, do they still sign sheets of stickers? Why can't they just sign the damn cards? Is it that hard to get players to sign the actual card instead of a billion stickers?
Hell with all of them. Give me a sweet Refractor!
, TC RC's
http://www.freewebs.com/fanofstarbury03/
CubKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I doubt I'd pay a "premium", but I'd definitely be more likely to buy a product with GU rather than event worn.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojallad View Post
I really was not trying to promote or dis a specific product. The argument has been made to me that people will not pay more for game used. I just wonder if its true or not. So far the poll results suggest that people value game worn more.
I gotcha.. I like the idea of game used, but will i care so much over time to pay a premium, not sure....
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

My personal insight is simply that the aesthetic's of the card are more important.

I personally would rather have a huge jumbo event-worn 4-color patch as opposed to a smaller 2-color trim game-worn patch. (ie. NT vs. Flawless)

I think everyone really collects cards to look at them. If you're a collector, you enjoy what they are. If you were blind, card collecting wouldn't be as fun of a hobby. So if I hold up a piece of jersey in front of you and ask you to guess if it's game worn or event worn, you will not be able to answer 100% positively either way. So why put so much emphasis on whether or not the piece of jersey was worn in a game or just on the player at an event. All in all, jersey & patch cards are pretty lame when you really think about it. It's a tiny fraction of a huge jersey. It's so trivial at it's rawest form when you really think about it. We're talking bout a few inches 'squared of a piece of uniform a player wore once ... it's crazy what we/people pay for these cards when you really think about it. Especially players that are current, or ones who have played in hundreds and even thousands of games, with a different jersey each game. Buying a jumbo lebron patch card because it looks cool, paying $500 for it, and he can play for another 10 years at least, wearing another 1000 jerseys in his career.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I vote "Who cares! As long as the card looks nice!"

paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

At the end of the day any scrap of a jersey should be worthless

I buy the card, not so much the jersey if that makes sense.

I guess game used becomes more of a factor on high end stuff like logomen and jumbo patch autos.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Don't care.

Give me a nice autograph.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Technically, event worn jerseys are rarer.... Each player only goes to so many events, while they could play up to 82 in the regular season alone. I've heard where players can change twice, or even three times in between games on their break time. Spoiled these players from today....

I really enjoy event worn things such as those Santa Christmas type cards, and another example is Vince Carter's army fatigue from Fleer Force? Also of course, the RC photo shoots and all that good stuff.

I like all three.....
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not sure if it's realistic, but I kind of don't care much either, as long as:

(1) For game-worn stuff, indicate the exact game and date that the piece is from.
(2) For event-worn stuff, indicate the specific event, along with the exact date, that the piece is from.

For both (1) and (2), if the cards are intended to be signed, of course I would want a nice autograph. Hard-signed, no sticker autographs.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

It's nice knowing everything in Flawless is game used and I bet they go for more because of it. However, as a collector I could care less. I think that the only "jersey" cards that should be included in sets are Logomans. I prefer to own cards that have on card autographs and a nice design.
rauchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Anything but a base card.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

i like the idea of event worn as long as from RC photo shot, because that's the first moment a player use his nba team jersey.

for example lebron james: i used to collect lbj (game used cavs) jsy cards, but being know that lebron move to heat and winning his champs in Heat, imo his cavs jsy card is not so valuable ( even in exquisite card ).

so i start selling all of my cavs game used cards, but i still keep his rc card with cavs event used rookie photo shoot, because i felt there is a history in it.

Last edited by dave_man79; 09-18-2013 at 11:27 PM.
dave_man79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
If you were blind, card collecting wouldn't be as fun of a hobby.
My favorite quote this year.

As far as event or game worn... I prefer game worn unless it's from a rookie photo shoot.

For sale/trade: http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/remlaf01/library/for-sale-trade
remlaf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airball View Post
Im agree.. Event worn is the first time... only one rookie photo shoot in his career.... You can see the things from different points of view...

Maybe the first autos should be more valuable, first collections....

You have received a Rookie Photo Shoot-Used Trading card that includes a personal Autograph from Kevin Durant...

This is the first sentence on the back my following PC cards like:

This is a unique card too. Stamped and signed at the Rookie Photo Shoot.
My only College uni KD.

I focused only on Durant's Rookie year. My only other non-RC KD PC cards are his 2008-09 PMG and his Exquisite Bases.

2007 NBA Rookie Photoshoot - YouTube
Durantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Only way I would pay a premium is if they can provide proof of the game the jersey was used in and not an authentication from a third party. The NBA should provide game worn jerseys, as part of the licensing deal, to card companies that have a deal to produce NBA cards along with dates that the jersey was used in a game.
pat10021839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat10021839 View Post
Only way I would pay a premium is if they can provide proof of the game the jersey was used in and not an authentication from a third party. The NBA should provide game worn jerseys, as part of the licensing deal, to card companies that have a deal to produce NBA cards along with dates that the jersey was used in a game.
That would make certain cards much more valuable than others. Depending on the game , outcome...