Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMetcalf21 View Post
Just looking at some of the prices of the 12-13 stuff that was really hot say 6 months ago, and looking at their prices as of today, is quite depressing I must say.

Basketball use to hold a pretty decent premium, when there wasnt 100 SETS MADE.

lol, now it's getting to be just like football, so many sets make them all go down. Look at Kyrie wood autos for example, when he had about 4 autos on the market I sold one for 435 dollars in gem condition. Now they dont even get half, because Kyrie has 50 autos now instead of 4.
are you sure this doesnt have more to do with players rather than branding? There just havent been any great players to bounce these sets into more demand.

I can easily show you sets from previous years with cards that sell for pennies compared to what they first sold for? Cards from exquisite and Ultimate.

Take for example... David Noel Exquisite? Marvin WIlliams exquisite. They sell for nothing these days. Is that a product of too many sets as well? Or more so because of quality of players with no demand?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
are you sure this doesnt have more to do with players rather than branding? There just havent been any great players to bounce these sets into more demand.

I can easily show you sets from previous years with cards that sell for pennies compared to what they first sold for? Cards from exquisite and Ultimate.

Take for example... David Noel Exquisite? Marvin WIlliams exquisite. They sell for nothing these days. Is that a product of too many sets as well? Or more so because of quality of players with no demand?
I personally think Kyrie is closer to Derrick Rose's category of players than David Noel, lol. We will see when Kyrie starts killing it next year, I will be excited to see what happens. But he is clearly the class of the 2 year draft rookies so we will see. I have a hard time figuring out which ones to invest in there are so many.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

A good question to ask is if somehow Panini was able to secure Jordan and Lebron autos and memorabilia, would you dislike panini so much?

I suppose I would need to reconsider in that case.

So perhaps it is a player selection issue and not so much a quality of product issue.

I like Jordan, I can't pull Jordan out of Panini, so I don't buy Panini much.

If I could pull a 1/1 Jordan silhouette patch out of preferred, or a 1/1 NT logoman jordan auto on-card out of Panini, I would most definitely be cracking a lot more Panini.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

I still just think its really obvious there are too many sets this year and its killing the value of any wax thats under 100 a box
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I still just think its really obvious there are too many sets this year and its killing the value of any wax thats under 100 a box
But if Panini included Jordan inserts and autos and gu in a bulls uniform, would you be complaining still?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

If Panini gets Jordan or Lebron expect 5k boxes.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
If Panini gets Jordan or Lebron expect 5k boxes.
You mean 5k cases? lol, the scary thing is, they could still probably sell out.

In all honesty, I think their inclusion would increase the demand of their products five fold.

There would be no such thing as a "junk" product with the big 2 included.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
You mean 5k cases? lol, the scary thing is, they could still probably sell out.

In all honesty, I think their inclusion would increase the demand of their products five fold.

There would be no such thing as a "junk" product with the big 2 included.
A MJ base card would sell for more than many RC RPA. That's how crazy you would have with MJ in the product.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I personally think Kyrie is closer to Derrick Rose's category of players than David Noel, lol. We will see when Kyrie starts killing it next year, I will be excited to see what happens. But he is clearly the class of the 2 year draft rookies so we will see. I have a hard time figuring out which ones to invest in there are so many.
Ok then compare a Rose Exquisite RPA to a Kyrie RPA /199 from NT. When Rose' RPA first came out, it was the same price as the current Kyrie RPA. The only difference? There are twice as many kyries!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok then compare a Rose Exquisite RPA to a Kyrie RPA /199 from NT. When Rose' RPA first came out, it was the same price as the current Kyrie RPA. The only difference? There are twice as many kyries!
Oh yeah, people forgot Kyrie played for 2 years already when he looked much better than his first year. Perhaps, compared Rose second year price would be better.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Oh yeah, people forgot Kyrie played for 2 years already when he looked much better than his first year. Perhaps, compared Rose second year price would be better.
sure. Compare it to his 2nd yr.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

What garbage? You should be hold accountable on what you buy.

I see that UD exquisite is okay, Leaf not really, but the singles of Legends is really cheap.

Panini has done really good this year. There are so many great releases from them.

And the hobby is even better than ever.

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Kyrie played better his 2nd year wtf are you talking about lol
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Yea hey I like you bud you say alot of good things, always did, but yeah I was talking more towards under $100 a box items. Like I was saying above under $100 a box.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
What garbage? You should be hold accountable on what you buy.

I see that UD exquisite is okay, Leaf not really, but the singles of Legends is really cheap.

Panini has done really good this year. There are so many great releases from them.

And the hobby is even better than ever.
Laughable, 90% of products came out overpriced with the exceptions probably being Prizm and National Treasures. A tonne of products also came out worse than their predecessors and all the base sets continue to look the same.

P.S. How good was signatures?
snsdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yea hey I like you bud you say alot of good things, always did, but yeah I was talking more towards under $100 a box items. Like I was saying above under $100 a box.
There is no doubting that Panini put out a ton of products this year. But we have to stop and look at it from their perspective. They combined 2 yrs into one. If we were to take 25 products and split them into 2 yrs, you would get a smaller sample size per year. It just so happens all of them have kyrie autos in it making it look like double the amount.

Inevitably, Panini will product more kyrie autos every year and the market place will be filled with a ton of them just like Lebron under UD.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #42 (permalink)

Ill never quit this hobby, period!

Been here since 1992 religiously, and part time about 5 years before that. But I really started to love the sport since 92, and never turned back since. I actually fear getting old because I'm scared I won't be able to play anymore.... Competitively. I'm right around the corner sadly, but as far as watching the sport and collecting cards, I will never quit.

So yeah, for me, doesn't matter how many products come out, or a lack of.... I will always collect. I'm a lifer.... I've had dozens of friends, and people I've known casually, who collected cards, both young and old. Everyone that I could remember as stopped collecting, and I'm the only surviving member.

Long live collecting basketball cards, and yeah, basketball!!!!! Who needs the other sports???
Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

Just pick and choose what you purchase. Very Simple if you don't like a product don't't go near it. Just purchase singles of a players you want from certain products.
antthebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

im not quitting the whole hobby but at the same time it has cause me to buy about half of what i bought last year.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

It's true, you can say that about any product though. Look at what some of the current NTs cards are selling for and see what those same cards sell for a year or so from now. For example, I seen a Andre Drummond Silo go for $905 lol, sure, he'll be a nice player maybe someday but not $905 superstar player someday lol. I mean come on now

You can't bounce them into more demand without MJ and Lebron in them. And I very much hope they never get either guy to sign with them because they'll just whore out their signatures also to the point where it's really no big deal to pull their auto just like it is now when you pull a Kobe auto out of Panini.

Back to the topic of the thread, if people keep buying them then they'll keep mass producing like they have. The End
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #46 (permalink)

UD has already whored out MJ autos, they're dime a dozen. I said it before, the only thing rare about MJ autos are the people that can afford them.

...Same with Kobe, but I think the marketing/commercial hype behind Jordan/Jordan's career is a lot greater than Kobe's so MJ's autos still go for more, generally.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbraCalabro View Post
UD has already whored out MJ autos, they're dime a dozen. I said it before, the only thing rare about MJ autos are the people that can afford them.

...Same with Kobe, but I think the marketing/commercial hype behind Jordan/Jordan's career is a lot greater than Kobe's so MJ's autos still go for more, generally.
The big difference now it is MUCH easier to pull a low numbered auto of Kobe than it was back when UD was in business producing products because of how many products Panini is pumping out. And also the fact they make like 10 different auto sets numbered to /5 or /10 in each product it seems.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdagoodstuff View Post
The big difference now it is MUCH easier to pull a low numbered auto of Kobe than it was back when UD was in business producing products because of how many products Panini is pumping out. And also the fact they make like 10 different auto sets numbered to /5 or /10 in each product it seems.
You mean like UD did in All Time Greats???? Come on man, cut the crap.
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #49 (permalink)

Panini UD Panini UD.... Come on!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Are you thinking about quitting because of how many junk products out there this yr?-duranthorror.jpg  
airball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #50 (permalink)

In a word, No.

Here's an idea, why no just buy what you like and enjoy? If you are buying case after case after case trying to profit, I don't know what to tell you.

It's a hobby and should be treated as one.