Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
In a word, No.

Here's an idea, why no just buy what you like and enjoy? If you are buying case after case after case trying to profit, I don't know what to tell you.

It's a hobby and should be treated as one.
Yes, I buy only things that I collect. However, with so many products out there, it is just impossible to keep buying every single mindlessly on ebay. In fact, by the time the card is arrived from China, new product is already on the shelf.

Just last night, there was a Penny Hardaway auto that sold for $36 shipped. I do not have that card, and I went to bed without bidding it. This morning, I don't feel like I miss it. If I have it in my collection, it is like putting "+1" into my excel spreadsheet. I don't have a feeling that "I just add another auto in my collection!"

Anyway, at one point, I think I hit 75% mark of all the Penny Hardaway cards out there. With Panini making Hardaway card nonstop, I think my percentage is going down.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbraCalabro View Post
UD has already whored out MJ autos, they're dime a dozen. I said it before, the only thing rare about MJ autos are the people that can afford them.

...Same with Kobe, but I think the marketing/commercial hype behind Jordan/Jordan's career is a lot greater than Kobe's so MJ's autos still go for more, generally.
True story.

I remember the days when MJ was actually a rare autograph to get.... Now I don't even think about adding him, cause I can add it any time. I usually like to get the rare stuff out if the way.

A real shame what UD did with MJ. I'd rather secure a rare Mikan or Debusschere auto rather than worry about Jordan. I'd also take a Wilt before Jordan. That how much they've ruined it.

It's all about the 76ers in 2015...
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
You mean like UD did in All Time Greats???? Come on man, cut the crap.
Panini products make UD Greats look extremely rare lol.

That as some know, I just to this day can not wrap my mind around the word Panini along with cards lol. Just can't do it. I think of sandwich right away.

Last edited by justdagoodstuff; 09-21-2013 at 01:12 AM.
justdagoodstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
True story.

I remember the days when MJ was actually a rare autograph to get.... Now I don't even think about adding him, cause I can add it any time. I usually like to get the rare stuff out if the way.

A real shame what UD did with MJ. I'd rather secure a rare Mikan or Debusschere auto rather than worry about Jordan. I'd also take a Wilt before Jordan. That how much they've ruined it.
Wilt passed away before all the auto dumping. Not just UD, every card company make way too many Bill Russell auto.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
Old 09-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #55 (permalink)

No, not thinking about quitting. I'm waiting for Black Friday sales and picking up this garbage at drastically reduced pricing. For example I can get 12/13 Limited or Timeless Treasure for $49, just wait until Black Friday, itwill be in the $30 range.

Just because Panini is over saturating the market and putting out inferior products DOES NOT mean that you have to buy it at MSRP. It is your decision to bust wax or buy singles, if you blame Panini for your poor decisions you are in this hobby for the wrong reasons!
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #56 (permalink)

Why quit from this hobby ? Man, it was hobby as it is. If someone leave the hobby just because crappy product, then maybe he just think this hobby like a stockmarket investors.. I love basketball card, and only put something I'd like to add to my collections. Too many product from previous years from UD, Topps, or Fleer which still available on the market. So I didn't find any logic reason as collectors to be quit from this hobby..
arkania13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
True story.

Comparing Jordan (who is still alive) with Mikan and DeBusschere (who are both dead) is a strange comparison.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Wilt passed away before all the auto dumping. Not just UD, every card company make way too many Bill Russell auto.
How old is Russell?....

Jordan will most likely live another gazillion years, and boy will his auto be watered down waaaay beyond what it already is.

So yeah, I would focus more on guys like Debusschere and Wilt as they have to dry up at some point. But yeah, Russell is up there in age, and they usually number his autos very low, so it may appear there are a billion autos, but there really isn't.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
How old is Russell?....

Jordan will most likely live another gazillion years, and boy will his auto be watered down waaaay beyond what it already is.

So yeah, I would focus more on guys like Debusschere and Wilt as they have to dry up at some point. But yeah, Russell is up there in age, and they usually number his autos very low, so it may appear there are a billion autos, but there really isn't.
You are compared a dead person to a living person. That is the nonsense part.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

There can never be enough Jordan Autos. Why is it that every week someone is looking for one?

Sure you will see tons of the ugly college autos, but try getting the Bulls uniform autos and you will notice they aren't as "overproduced" as many think.

People fail to realise that Jordan is a brand name, no other player can replicate what Jordan has done. Everyone wants a piece of him. Its not just in cards.

Even if Panini magically signs Jordan, it would be great for Jordan collectors.
But the cost per box will increase exponentially.

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
You are compared a dead person to a living person. That is the nonsense part.
I can compare whatever I want..... Smh haha

That's your opinion.... Awesome!

I'd rather have one of their autos than a Jordan. As far as I'm concerned, I can get a Jordan any second of the day! So no rush.

Jordan autographs are NOT what they once were.... Fact! Can you imagine if Panini gets their hands on him? Impossible is nothing.... Well, then again, doesn't really matter who gets him, because he's already watered down, and will continue to go downhill. I remember pulling the MJ Final Floor Autographs FF1A back in 2000 and it booked for $9,000.00!!!!! Now that's a laugh! Now could be had for under $1,000, unless of course the shill party has "legitly" brought it up some. Pretty much all his autos were going for tons!!!!

I even remember when they had that 1/1 buy back all-star. "Base" card, and Beckett even wrote about it... Lol. They said something like, we still can't believe we have this card in the building! And they went on to saying, we believe it can be worth something like $20,000.00 or more! (yes, from memory....). Souls be in one of the old books around 2000 I think.

They're just not what they once were. Sad, but true. What can we do? Blame tge card companies.....

Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
I can compare whatever I want..... Smh haha

That's your opinion.... Awesome!

I'd rather have one of their autos than a Jordan. As far as I'm concerned, I can get a Jordan any second of the day! So no rush.

Jordan autographs are NOT what they once were.... Fact! Can you imagine if Panini gets their hands on him? Impossible is nothing.... Well, then again, doesn't really matter who gets him, because he's already watered down, and will continue to go downhill. I remember pulling the MJ Final Floor Autographs FF1A back in 2000 and it booked for $9,000.00!!!!! Now that's a laugh! Now could be had for under $1,000, unless of course the shill party has "legitly" brought it up some. Pretty much all his autos were going for tons!!!!

I even remember when they had that 1/1 buy back all-star. "Base" card, and Beckett even wrote about it... Lol. They said something like, we still can't believe we have this card in the building! And they went on to saying, we believe it can be worth something like $20,000.00 or more! (yes, from memory....). Souls be in one of the old books around 2000 I think.

They're just not what they once were. Sad, but true. What can we do? Blame tge card companies.....
You are right that some of the cards have dropped by alot, but at the same time so many more have shot up to crazy amounts (Some I can't understand).

I would never pay the huge sums some people are willing to pay for certain cards that were once way cheaper, but there are people that do. The demand is there and it's what keeps the prices high.

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
You are right that some of the cards have dropped by alot, but at the same time so many more have shot up to crazy amounts (Some I can't understand).

I would never pay the huge sums some people are willing to pay for certain cards that were once way cheaper, but there are people that do. The demand is there and it's what keeps the prices high.
I guess so. To each their own... God bless them

I'm not talking about your Jordan's.... I've seen them, and most are sick to my standards, and would be happy with many of them myself. I'm talking about the rest of the watered down crap. You're right, the Bulls stuff will always be better than everything else.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #64 (permalink)

i been in and out of the hobby but the card makers need to be make cards that blends the game in. I still cant forget those old days from UD collector choice where they made these special insert that predicts a players performance (asst/reb/games) on a specific game that season where if the person makes those figures, it can be traded in for some special inserts/sets. Even though they overprinted them, it was the best concept for the card makers growing the hobby for some of us gamblers lol.