Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default non-ethical bgs question

alright, dont bash me here, maybe its not the most honest thing to do, but i gotta ask

i have a certain card i want to send in for grading, its a 2003-04 topps pristine card, its in great shape except for one thing. the previous owner seemed like he touched it a lot and on the shiny part of the card i see a bunch of fingerprints, how can i "clean" the card without damaging it to make the fingerprints disappear so my surface grade will be higher.

imho edges, centering and corners cant be less than 9s, card looks great except for all those damn fingerprints on the shiny part of the card, looks like the guy was eating a bag of lays and put 4 different thumb prints on the face of the card. like i said i dont want to alter it at all, i just want to find a way to "clean it"

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cleaning the surface of a card of finger prints isn't being unethical, it's wiping off finger prints! Use a lint free cloth used to clean eye glasses or flat screens. Wiping off the finger prints isn't altering the card in any form in my opinion. The majority of my nicer PC cards that are Topps Chrome or something with a super glossy finish, I've wiped down before placing in a One Touch. Good luck!
Jasondr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I am not sure why you feel this is not ethical. Chrome cards get marked up. To clean the card simply use an eyeglass cleaning cloth and gently clean the card.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondr91 View Post
Cleaning the surface of a card of finger prints isn't being unethical, it's wiping off finger prints! Use a lint free cloth used to clean eye glasses or flat screens. Wiping off the finger prints isn't altering the card in any form in my opinion. Now coloring edges, trimming...that's something unethical. Good luck!
i acutally tried using the little cloth in my sunglasses' case, didnt help me, it seems a bit oily, i seriously think the previous owner was eating potato chips while touching the cards, i dont want to smear it in there any worse.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAreSee View Post
i acutally tried using the little cloth in my sunglasses' case, didnt help me, it seems a bit oily, i seriously think the previous owner was eating potato chips while touching the cards, i dont want to smear it in there any worse.
Be sure to use a new cloth then, and throw some elbow in it! Any finger print will come off a Topps Pristine finish, as Topps Chrome. There's a possibility the prints are quite old especially if the card hasn't been handled raw since say 2003. If the smudge doesn't come off after several attempts....there's a possibility it isn't a fingerprint and something worse.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Be sure to use a new cloth then, and throw some elbow in it! Any finger print will come off a Topps Pristine finish, as Topps Chrome. There's a possibility the prints are quite old especially if the card hasn't been handled raw since say 2003. If the smudge doesn't come off after several attempts....there's a possibility it isn't a fingerprint and something worse.
fair enough, thanks for the advice
Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAreSee View Post
fair enough, thanks for the advice
What he said. Your cloth may have oils in it as well. A new cloth should do a decent job.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

No problem! I've seen plenty, and owned many cards that had decent grades but got hit specifically because of a surface flaw, and that flaw was simply because of a finger smudge.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

nothing unethical about this at all IMO...you are just cleaning the card a lot of people call it prepping for grading..now if you were retracing an auto or something along those lines that's diffferent
Zach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

sandpaper should do the trick

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

No familiar with the product itself but if it has a topps finest/chrome finish then you can windex it.

Little spray of windex on a paper towel, wipe it down, let it dry completely, you're golden.