Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Accussed of shill bidding - how to cancel a winning item

This is a two parter, so I please stick with me. I would love to get feedback!

1) Apparently I have been accused of "shill bidding."

There was an eBay user that placed consecutive bids on my card, I know this because I was getting updates on my phone and watched them place 6 bids until they had the leading bid. Once I discovered this user had no feedback history, as a buyer or seller, I posted this thread to the wonderful community of Blowout Cards selling-item-ebay-bidder-no-rating.

Not quite the feedback I was hoping to receive. However, I did send a message to this eBay user asking why they had no history as a buyer or a seller. Never received a response.

With that said, this no rating-eBay user didn't even win this item, as another experienced user placed a bid the next day. Thus my comfort level of selling this item was good as this buyer has 100% feedback. However, this morning the winning bidder contacts me saying that eBay sent them a message regarding shill bidding on this item and he wanted me to cancel his winning.

Questions:
-Does eBay send out messages regarding possible shill bidding on an item you won? I have never heard of this and I guess I don't understand shill bidding enough to know how eBay makes a determination like that.

-Can all bidders see the names of other bidders now? As a seller I have noticed I can see all names of bidders, where in the past I don't think this was the case.

-Can all bidders see the bidding history of another user? The winning bidder said he could see that the "shill bidder" user only had bids on my item.

And on to the 2nd part of my thread...
2) So since the user has asked to cancel their win, how do I go about doing this. Should I go through the resolution center on eBay? Do I simply press the Relist link? I really don't want to screw this up.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
jyeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Buyers remorse.
matty83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

by the way I posted this here, because it was a basketball card, but there may be a more appropriate spot for this thread.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can see the buyers as a seller but not as another buyer. And all you need to do is go through the resolution center and select cancel sell or something along those lines and the buyer will respond to it by accepting it. Hope that helps
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. Resolution center it will be.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Give up easy?
If you had no part in shilling and someone bid on your card, I wouldn't cancel the bid. eBay didn't send the guy a message about shilling. Anyone can see the bid percentages at anytime. He should/could have seen this before bidding. Just my 2 cents... And you're not seeing the actual names it is just a code eBay gives to represent the bidder.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Please post the username of the one who accused you of shilling. I like to avoid these vigilantes.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
Give up easy?
If you had no part in shilling and someone bid on your card, I wouldn't cancel the bid. eBay didn't send the guy a message about shilling. Anyone can see the bid percentages at anytime. He should/could have seen this before bidding. Just my 2 cents... And you're not seeing the actual names it is just a code eBay gives to represent the bidder.
Too late.

This is my first time selling a high value card (well, high value by my standards), so I really want to have a smooth transaction. I have very few high value cards as I was buying retail my entire life until discovering "hobby boxes," so I have 0 experience in this situation.

It is nice to know that this user apparently fabricated the "eBay sent me a message about shilling." Maybe I'll use that one if I ever have buyer's remorse.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Please post the username of the one who accused you of shilling. I like to avoid these vigilantes.
I will certainly do that, if it is allowed.

Can someone confirm this?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeck View Post
I will certainly do that, if it is allowed.

Can someone confirm this?
Why wouldn't it be allowed?
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Why wouldn't it be allowed?
I do not visit this forum frequently to know all of the do's and dont's, so that is why I asked.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

2014kidd is the user.

As I mentioned in my OP, 100% on feedback as a buyer. But this situation and accusation has rubbed me the wrong way with this user regardless of their rating.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Too late.

This is my first time selling a high value card (well, high value by my standards), so I really want to have a smooth transaction. I have very few high value cards as I was buying retail my entire life until discovering "hobby boxes," so I have 0 experience in this situation.

It is nice to know that this user apparently fabricated the "eBay sent me a message about shilling." Maybe I'll use that one if I ever have buyer's remorse.
Well it's not a bad thing to make the guy happy by any means. I just feel that the guy tried to take advantage of YOU in the situation. Best case scenario is he bid without looking into it much, no one forced his finger down on the bid button. But I guarantee if you had more feedback this wouldn't have happened to you. Sorry you had to come across an eBay user like this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131

Quote:
2014kidd is the user.

As I mentioned in my OP, 100% on feedback as a buyer. But this situation and accusation has rubbed me the wrong way with this user regardless of their rating.
Well, sellers can't leave negative for buyers, so everyone buying has 100% ratings.

In all honesty, you are doing the right thing IMO. If you forced the issue, he could pay and then have ship only to damage the card and then file a case with Ebay to get his money back.

The thing to remember when selling on Ebay is that Ebay will bend over backwards to make the buyers happy, even if it means screwing over sellers.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
Well it's not a bad thing to make the guy happy by any means. I just feel that the guy tried to take advantage of YOU in the situation. Best case scenario is he bid without looking into it much, no one forced his finger down on the bid button. But I guarantee if you had more feedback this wouldn't have happened to you. Sorry you had to come across an eBay user like this.
True. Very true. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
Well, sellers can't leave negative for buyers, so everyone buying has 100% ratings.

In all honesty, you are doing the right thing IMO. If you forced the issue, he could pay and then have ship only to damage the card and then file a case with Ebay to get his money back.

The thing to remember when selling on Ebay is that Ebay will bend over backwards to make the buyers happy, even if it means screwing over sellers.
Was unaware of sellers not being able to leave neg's for buyers. I guess this changed within the last year. I do recall getting several emails in the past year regarding eBay's focus on protecting the buyer. I feel that I am discovering all the changes with the selling of this one item. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

If there was shill bidding. 1- he the buyer would of been the high bidder. 2- the shill bidder would of bid him up till he won the bid by a minimum bid. Then the shill would retract his bid making the original buyer the high bidder. Normally it happens at the end of the auction. I agree with other poster if buyer wants out you need to just refund, block him and relist.
JJ53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
True. Very true. Thanks

Was unaware of sellers not being able to leave neg's for buyers. I guess this changed within the last year. I do recall getting several emails in the past year regarding eBay's focus on protecting the buyer. I feel that I am discovering all the changes with the selling of this one item. Thanks for the info!
Sellers haven't been able to leave negs since 2008.

The winning buyer has 58 retractions in the last 6 months. What a joke..
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

This all seems fishy to me when you think about it.... maybe its not shiller here... maybe its the winner knowing the seller.... just a thought
Old 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

eBay does not contact buyers notifying them of shilling. I have never heard of this and just sounds fishy.

They would take action against the seller or cancel the auction out right.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

The (0) might not be you, but as a buyer who buys frequently I would be suspicious in the same manner as the winning bidder. The suspicion may prove falsely warranted, but I understand the winner's hesitation.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The (0) might not be you, but as a buyer who buys frequently I would be suspicious in the same manner as the winning bidder. The suspicion may prove falsely warranted, but I understand the winner's hesitation.
But the winner placed their bid AFTER the (0) bidder had done their damage, so he knew exactly what he was bidding and has no excuse to have backed out using shilling as an example. You see what you think is shilling you don't bid... this guy bid after the fact, then backed out of the deal. Shady buyer.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=331023426659
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
bmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin98 View Post
This all seems fishy to me when you think about it.... maybe its not shiller here... maybe its the winner knowing the seller.... just a thought
yeah weird sitch.

the seller/op may want to learn more about ebay rules before selling more high end on ebay
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote