Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
I haven't seen a single $70 box yet out of roughly 10 cases I've seen busted.
We're projecting a month out. Release =/= long term.
I recently started working full-time (finally). As a result, I often forget about PMs which I've reviewed during the day, but did not have time to respond to. Please feel free to follow up. It is not my intention to ignore or forget about anyone.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
We're projecting a month out. Release =/= long term.
Regardless, I have yet to see a box of this stuff that has been that poor. The absolute worst box I've seen at least had a Harrison Barnes RPA in it. That, along with 5 other cards, shouldn't ever be $70 SV.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Ive got a solution for all this... Ban all basketball people from busting basketball wax. That should save you all the grief you degenerate gamblers.

Just buy singles. That way you dont have to worry about profit margins, losing money trying to flip and most importantly being upset and breaking your heart over a lousy box of cards busted.

You guys are more focussed on comparing resale profits then the cards themselves now.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Regardless, I have yet to see a box of this stuff that has been that poor. The absolute worst box I've seen at least had a Harrison Barnes RPA in it. That, along with 5 other cards, shouldn't ever be $70 SV.
Then you should take a look at the 3 boxes LeBronfromNC broke and posted here.
I recently started working full-time (finally). As a result, I often forget about PMs which I've reviewed during the day, but did not have time to respond to. Please feel free to follow up. It is not my intention to ignore or forget about anyone.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Then you should take a look at the 3 boxes LeBronfromNC broke and posted here.
Which one of those is the $70 box in your opinion? The one with the Wade jumbo patch, the Waiters letter patch, or the Klay RPA/Kawhi quad patch/Lakers triple?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #56 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Way better cards in immaculate!

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Which one of those is the $70 box in your opinion? The one with the Wade jumbo patch, the Waiters letter patch, or the Klay RPA/Kawhi quad patch/Lakers triple?
Don't forget the Parsons RPA, lol.

Honestly, I'd say I did average. Not horrible, but average...
LeonfromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think any of them are $70 bad, but you said the worst you saw was a Barnes RPA which is a $250-$300 card in the long run (judging by NT).

In the long run, the Waiters Patch/Parsons is probably a $200 box, the Wade box is the worst - probably around $150; the Klay box will probably be the winner of the bunch, around $350

Rough estimates, imo.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonfromNC View Post
Don't forget the Parsons RPA, lol.

Honestly, I'd say I did average. Not horrible, but average...
I'd agree with that. Admittedly, I'm much more of a collector than a seller so I can't estimate SVs as accurately as others, but I think your break was pretty decent. You didn't kill it, but I don't see any $70 boxes regardless of when the SVs are being projected. The Wade is really cool.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think any of them are $70 bad, but you said the worst you saw was a Barnes RPA which is a $250-$300 card in the long run (judging by NT).

In the long run, the Waiters Patch/Parsons is probably a $200 box, the Wade box is the worst - probably around $150; the Klay box will probably be the winner of the bunch, around $350

Rough estimates, imo.
Huh. I'd figure the Wade alone would sell for more than $150 but perhaps you're right. I guess I still don't see any $70 boxes of this though. Seems like $150 or so is the floor to me.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The first box on ebay was this, the sold prices are next to it.

Kevin Johnson base $2
Robert Sacre patch auto 30
Chris Singleton patch auto $10
Hakeem Trophy aut $400
Jared Sullinger on jersey auto $51
Anthony/Chandler/Felton Jersey $6

Obviously the Hakeem saves that box, but I'd imagine in the future, the Sacre will be a $10 card, Singleton probably $8, Sullinger $15 (ugly card) jersey card $5 and base still $2.

So in my opinion only, this box minus the Hakeem had 5 cards worth about $40. Now if instead of the Hakeem it was like a lower end player jumbo patch, that might be a $30 card if the patch isn't amazing.

Just my opinion.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Tim

yesterday boxes were flying off ebay for $450-$475. even this morning a case (premium on cases i would think) went for $2800.00.

but now a box sits at $400 untouched by a seller with five to sell. (maybe a little fishy that he is selling five instead of six but i am still surprised they are not sold yet)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
The first box on ebay was this, the sold prices are next to it.

Kevin Johnson base $2
Robert Sacre patch auto 30
Chris Singleton patch auto $10
Hakeem Trophy aut $400
Jared Sullinger on jersey auto $51
Anthony/Chandler/Felton Jersey $6

Obviously the Hakeem saves that box, but I'd imagine in the future, the Sacre will be a $10 card, Singleton probably $8, Sullinger $15 (ugly card) jersey card $5 and base still $2.

So in my opinion only, this box minus the Hakeem had 5 cards worth about $40. Now if instead of the Hakeem it was like a lower end player jumbo patch, that might be a $30 card if the patch isn't amazing.

Just my opinion.
This example goes out the window due to sample size.

What if I pick the best box break of all of them and state that as average?

The real question to ask here is did the breaker enjoy busting and excitement of this product? Yes or No?

rather than focussing on how much he sold the contents of the box for. If the breaker is upset that he didnt get ROI from his box break, then maybe he needs to rethink his strategy on making money........not on basketball card collecting.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Huh. I'd figure the Wade alone would sell for more than $150 but perhaps you're right. I guess I still don't see any $70 boxes of this though. Seems like $150 or so is the floor to me.
Again, my personal projections on the state of the market a month from now. He'll get way more than $150 for the Wade this week. Way more.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
This example goes out the window due to sample size.

What if I pick the best box break of all of them and state that as average?

The real question to ask here is did the breaker enjoy busting and excitement of this product? Yes or No?

rather than focussing on how much he sold the contents of the box for. If the breaker is upset that he didnt get ROI from his box break, then maybe he needs to rethink his strategy on making money........not on basketball card collecting.

I think that went out the window with these 6-card boxes type stuff.

Boxes used to be fun, opening 24 packs, getting inserts and stuff. Now people just want the hits
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I think that went out the window with these 6-card boxes type stuff.

Boxes used to be fun, opening 24 packs, getting inserts and stuff. Now people just want the hits
Because 90% of people bust to resell everything on eBay and hope to profit from hitting a big card.

That's why so many people get panty-twisted when they don't get big hits. Not because they aren't pleased with the actual cards, but rather because they know they will "lose money".

These people just in it for the business don't have time to open 24 packs/box. They don't care about the $.01 commons and $.25 inserts. They only want the $5,000 Kyrie Irving Gemstone card to have the first one up on eBay and have max profit on it (maybe mix in some shilling/manipulation/etc).

When Panini realized this, they tiered their products to these "gamblers" in it just to profit. Same with the "investors". They created high end sets knowing these guys will buy this stuff no matter what, Flawless and Immaculate.

Watch what happens over the next few years with Panini saturating the market and the secondary market COLLECTORS slowly dispersing from the hobby........
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Because 90% of people bust to resell everything on eBay and hope to profit from hitting a big card.

That's why so many people get panty-twisted when they don't get big hits. Not because they aren't pleased with the actual cards, but rather because they know they will "lose money".

These people just in it for the business don't have time to open 24 packs/box. They don't care about the $.01 commons and $.25 inserts. They only want the $5,000 Kyrie Irving Gemstone card to have the first one up on eBay and have max profit on it (maybe mix in some shilling/manipulation/etc).

When Panini realized this, they tiered their products to these "gamblers" in it just to profit. Same with the "investors". They created high end sets knowing these guys will buy this stuff no matter what, Flawless and Immaculate.

Watch what happens over the next few years with Panini saturating the market and the secondary market COLLECTORS slowly dispersing from the hobby........
The good stuff willl be gone and the crap will be recycled

its been like that forvever
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:

COLLECTORS are not going anywhere. We see the breakers for what they are which is 90 percent awesome. Group breakers are by and large great people and the people that can afford 40k in wax in one sitting to "try and turn a profit" are cool in my book... not my money and it gives me a shot at nice singles.

I enjoy all aspects of this hobby. Group breaks / personal boxes / singles on the bay / comc / forums ect. Trust me this hobby will persist.

A hobby is supposed to be fun. I have tons of fun collecting cards. You should to
Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Paul you open a box of retro and sell a card for 27k
and you say the hobby is dead lmao
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyzqna View Post
COLLECTORS are not going anywhere. We see the breakers for what they are which is 90 percent awesome. Group breakers are by and large great people and the people that can afford 40k in wax in one sitting to "try and turn a profit" are cool in my book... not my money and it gives me a shot at nice singles.

I enjoy all aspects of this hobby. Group breaks / personal boxes / singles on the bay / comc / forums ect. Trust me this hobby will persist.

A hobby is supposed to be fun. I have tons of fun collecting cards. You should to
Right, and I'm glad you're happy in your stance. However, that's not the reality of things. I've been in this hobby for 15+ years. I don't know everything, but I know mostly everything.

I know how many of the BIG collectors left over the past 5 or so years, and how many new BIG collectors entered the hobby (VERY FEW that aren't collecting purely for profit/investment purposes).

The majority and influx of people into the basketball hobby are investors, flippers and rip/list sellers.

I know a handful of big time pure collectors that are on the absolute verge of quitting the hobby entirely. Guys who put thousands into singles every month, and do not touch wax. Guys who actually collect and aren't looking to flip or invest.

I don't have the time to explain this all out, and how/why things are the way they are. But in the fairy-tale world you describe this hobby as being, it would be nice. But that's not the way it is.

Revisit your post and my post within the next 5 years and you will be shocked at the situation the hobby is in...
Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Right, and I'm glad you're happy in your stance. However, that's not the reality of things. I've been in this hobby for 15+ years. I don't know everything, but I know mostly everything.

I know how many of the BIG collectors left over the past 5 or so years, and how many new BIG collectors entered the hobby (VERY FEW that aren't collecting purely for profit/investment purposes).

The majority and influx of people into the basketball hobby are investors, flippers and rip/list sellers.

I know a handful of big time pure collectors that are on the absolute verge of quitting the hobby entirely. Guys who put thousands into singles every month, and do not touch wax. Guys who actually collect and aren't looking to flip or invest.

I don't have the time to explain this all out, and how/why things are the way they are. But in the fairy-tale world you describe this hobby as being, it would be nice. But that's not the way it is.

Revisit your post and my post within the next 5 years and you will be shocked at the situation the hobby is in...
I'm sorry you feel that way... mostly the part about "I know mostly everything"
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #72 (permalink)

Wow this seemed like a great deal

2012 13 Immaculate Vince Carter Jersey Patch Autograph Auto 20 25 | eBay
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #73 (permalink)

I am happy with immaculate since I did not buy any!!! Really glad I stuck with NT and Flawless for my collection. I guess it will come down to what you want to collect, but I can only think people will start looking at NT RPA over tiny parallel rpa in immaculate.
Pinballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
dang, im not even a carter collector and i think thats a steal.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #75 (permalink)

There have been many cards listed at BINs wayyyy too cheap.

People are underselling themselves on this stuff too early!