Blowout Cards Forums
Shop for NFL Draft Class of 2014 Nike Jerseys and New Era Draft Caps at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Nice break, tough luck on the kobe redemption hope something works out.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
That's why the boxes are priced how they are. If the redemptions were still active, you'd have to pay more for the product.
Pretty much this. This is the reason why I could get a case of 08 Finest FB for 1/2 of MSRP as 2 of the bigger names are redemptions and in-turn worthless. It sucks, but it's the risk you (hopefully knowingly) take.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
That's the chance you take with old wax. As much as it stinks it really isn't Uds fault.
I actually do think its UD's fault. They are the ones who didn't coordinate properly with kobe to get his autos put live into the product. It's also their fault that they put expiration dates on the redemptions. I think it's a sham they can put expiration dates on them. It was their poor planning in the first place that prevented the card from being live and then they hit collectors with a double whammy and put an expiration date on it. At least they should have 10yr expiration dates.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickha2 View Post
Completely disagree with this. As it states on the box you are guaranteed a certain number of hits/autos. When they do not honor the redemption your guaranteed number of hits does not match making it false advertising. You could go to court over it and with some cards they might be worth it.
The lawsuit wouldn't even be heard. UD would state that the redemptions are only good for a stated amount of time and that this stated amount of time would supersede the amount of guaranteed hits. PLUS, if the "promised content" says anything regarding "on average" (Panini did this in a lot of their 09-10 product), there is then no promise anyway. If there was money to be made class-action style, a competent attorney would have filed suit on behalf of plaintiffs (Not collectors) a long time ago.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
The lawsuit wouldn't even be heard. UD would state that the redemptions are only good for a stated amount of time and that this stated amount of time would supersede the amount of guaranteed hits. PLUS, if the "promised content" says anything regarding "on average" (Panini did this in a lot of their 09-10 product), there is then no promise anyway. If there was money to be made class-action style, a competent attorney would have filed suit on behalf of plaintiffs (Not collectors) a long time ago.
There is already some precedence established in this matter. An individual in Michigan won a suit in March 2012 for $1329 against Upper Deck in order to compensate for the value of expired redemptions that the individual obtained through opening more than ten (10) cases of 2007 SP Authentic baseball.

The case was decided due to a technicality - Upper Deck didn't send a full-time employee as its representative. It is possible that Upper Deck didn't send an appropriate representative intentionally in order to prevent the case from being heard and, therefor, not allowing a precedent to be established. However, the complainant still wanted the case heard and the judge agreed. The judges final statements were quite damning of Upper Deck's current redemption processes and policies and may set precedence for future cases of this nature.

While this is not anything to establish a definitive precedence, it certainly demonstrates that it is possible to bring successful litigation against Upper Deck in regards to expired redemptions.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
I actually do think its UD's fault. They are the ones who didn't coordinate properly with kobe to get his autos put live into the product. It's also their fault that they put expiration dates on the redemptions. I think it's a sham they can put expiration dates on them. It was their poor planning in the first place that prevented the card from being live and then they hit collectors with a double whammy and put an expiration date on it. At least they should have 10yr expiration dates.
I agree to an extent. It was UD's fault 10 years ago. I think thats a fair argument to say that they shouldn't have had redemption in first place. They set an expiration date that they thought was reasonable. A 10 year expiration date is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Then you would have people opening it 11 years saying it should be a 12 year one... and on and on.

But for a customer to buy a seal box now KNOWING that there are expired redemption is not UD's problem now.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

That one hurts to see.. Sorry OP.

Redemptions suck.
BoxBreaker72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #33 (permalink)

Slot machines guarantee 97% percent payout but at the end of the day I end up losing all my money. Do I have a chance in court?
elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #34 (permalink)

This reminds me of the time my cousins taped the lottery and fooled me. I had no idea I was watching a taped.

I was so happy I cried. I cried again when I found it was fake.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
This reminds me of the time my cousins taped the lottery and fooled me. I had no idea I was watching a taped.

HAha that joke never gets old
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post

At least this didn't happen

fake lottery ticket prank gone wrong - YouTube
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
That's why the boxes are priced how they are. If the redemptions were still active, you'd have to pay more for the product.
Not really, there's still ALOT of older products that are more expensive now then before those redemptions expired! Still baffles me.
bjtheman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee712 View Post
Fake! But still funny.
dapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

You can still sell the expired redemption on ebay, maybe some hardcore kobe collector will buy it
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
You can still sell the expired redemption on ebay, maybe some hardcore kobe collector will buy it
I don't think so, I mean it's worth a few hundred maybe redeemed, right?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I don't think so, I mean it's worth a few hundred maybe redeemed, right?
I didn't say he would get like hundreds, I was meaning he could get something instead of nothing
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

LOL that guy was cursing at everyone..
Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1 View Post
Not really, there's still ALOT of older products that are more expensive now then before those redemptions expired! Still baffles me.
That's because the non-redemptions in the product have created enough demand to sustain a higher price. There's no way the product would be priced lower if the redemptions were still able to be redeemed.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfancam01 View Post
already saw it.

if they don't do something about this i'm probably done with busting boxes or whatever. this is a damn joke. I buy a high end box and get screwed like this??
I don't get it, weren't you told there were expired redemptions? Didn't you say you were going to sell the box? Now you're having a tantrum because you got what you were warned about?

Yes it sucks that you should have a cool card but instead have a worthless redemption for one, but you knew what you were getting into...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #45 (permalink)

On the bright side you have the first A.i/Jordan dual auto ever.

Times like is whereyou pull out that card and look at it. I will bring you joy and happiness. This is something I learn during my one month off at Anger Management class.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ Converse View Post
You are buying a box going on 10 years old and getting Salty a redemption is expired. Duh!

This is also the reason these why some of these older products do not go for big bucks.
Yea it sucks....but I agree with this....that was the risk you took when you bought old wax...I'm not even sure what your argument is.
Nsingerma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
I don't get it, weren't you told there were expired redemptions? Didn't you say you were going to sell the box? Now you're having a tantrum because you got what you were warned about?

Yes it sucks that you should have a cool card but instead have a worthless redemption for one, but you knew what you were getting into...
Yeah, was definitely told that, so I don't know.

It sucks for sure, but when you are told there are expired redemptions in the product and that Kobe specifically was a redemption, the second you break that seal you are sort of acknowledging the risk but doing it anyways.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

I voted resell!

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/AndrewG_23/library/?sort=4&page=0
Andy5 is offline   Reply With Quote