Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Much like last year, Arizona's gonna roll everyone because they're tall.
No, we don't have Ashley anymore

With him, nobody would be able to come close to matching our size, but without him we're actually more of a 3 guard lineup with a 6'3" SF.

I'm actually VERY concerned about OSU in the second round, not much beyond that scares me anywhere near as much, but that one is not one I'm looking forward to at all
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
No, we don't have Ashley anymore

With him, nobody would be able to come close to matching our size, but without him we're actually more of a 3 guard lineup with a 6'3" SF.

I'm actually VERY concerned about OSU in the second round, not much beyond that scares me anywhere near as much, but that one is not one I'm looking forward to at all
I just somehow remembered that from last year, figured I'd throw it back up. Realistically though, if Arizona doesn't make it to the Final Four, that's just absolutely sad. They're in a terrible region.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I just somehow remembered that from last year, figured I'd throw it back up. Realistically though, if Arizona doesn't make it to the Final Four, that's just absolutely sad. They're in a terrible region.
I've said it multiple times already, I'm more afraid of that potential OK State matchup than any other potential game in that region.

We already beat SDSU once and I'm not afraid of Wiscy (I also don't think they beat Oregon to begin with).

The next team I'd be afraid of would be Creighton just because of McDermott, BUT, if you can take him out of his game a little bit, I don't think they stand a chance against an elite team. And there probably isn't a player in the entire nation that is better suited to play defense against him than Gordon.

I'm not delusional to think he is going to shut him down, McDermott will get his, but I don't think it would be efficient or to the level they need him to play at to win a game of that caliber.

So really, one team scares me from that whole region, and of course it has to be our second game. But having said all that, yes, anything short of the FF would be an utter dissapointment
Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #54 (permalink)

I like Michigan st..... but now its the sexiest pick....

I cant go with them now lol....

Louisville at 15-1 odds is an amazing deal

I dont like Nova or Iowa St at all... just wish there were some better teams to take them out..
jbmets95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmets95 View Post
I like Michigan st..... but now its the sexiest pick....

I cant go with them now lol....

Louisville at 15-1 odds is an amazing deal

I dont like Nova or Iowa St at all... just wish there were some better teams to take them out..
There's just something about THAT team that never seems to work out

I'm drawing a blank right now, but who was that big time trendy FF pick last year that then got upset in the first round?

I'm not saying I think MSU is falling in the first round, my head still tells me they're making the FF.

But there is just something about that trendy pick that makes them less attractive to me
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
In case anyone wanted to see odds;

College Basketball Men's NCAA Tournameny odds ...
North Dakota St 1000/1
Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

Exactly.... like a few people including me may take kentucky over witchita st... and ofcourse kentucky might now even get past kansas st..
lol
Quote:
There's just something about THAT team that never seems to work out

I'm drawing a blank right now, but who was that big time trendy FF pick last year that then got upset in the first round?

I'm not saying I think MSU is falling in the first round, my head still tells me they're making the FF.

But there is just something about that trendy pick that makes them less attractive to me
jbmets95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #58 (permalink)

im absolutely shocked at the lack of respect garnered for the UT Vols...

yes im a fan...and i know the SEC was downright terrible this year...BUT

- they have a higher than average SOS
- they played 3 out of the 4 #1 seeds- beat the absolute crap out of Va by 35, lost to Wich St by 9 at Wich St..and the last 2 losses to Fla by combined 16 points
- they lost to Xavier the 1st game of the season by 4...and turned around and beat the crap out of them by 15 points 2 weeks later
- they won 6 out of their last 8 games by an average of 22 points...their 2 losses in that frame was 2 points to Texas AM in OT AT AM, and they were up by 10 at half yesterday before fading in the 2nd half against overall #1 seed Fla...

even Lunardi had them penciled in as a solid 10/11 seed...but now they have to "play in"? absurd

if they get by Iowa, which they should i see them beating Umass and quite possibly Duke, depending whos 3s are falling
cdub6238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
im absolutely shocked at the lack of respect garnered for the UT Vols...

yes im a fan...and i know the SEC was downright terrible this year...BUT

- they have a higher than average SOS
- they played 3 out of the 4 #1 seeds- beat the absolute crap out of Va by 35, lost to Wich St by 9 at Wich St..and the last 2 losses to Fla by combined 16 points
- they lost to Xavier the 1st game of the season by 4...and turned around and beat the crap out of them by 15 points 2 weeks later
- they won 6 out of their last 8 games by an average of 22 points...their 2 losses in that frame was 2 points to Texas AM in OT AT AM, and they were up by 10 at half yesterday before fading in the 2nd half against overall #1 seed Fla...

even Lunardi had them penciled in as a solid 10/11 seed...but now they have to "play in"? absurd

if they get by Iowa, which they should i see them beating Umass and quite possibly Duke, depending whos 3s are falling
I just did my initial bracket (only do one the first night and then sleep on it, look it over and make changes throughout the week) and I have them beating UMass.

I was very impressed with them against Florida the other day, they play really tough defense, and could have had a shot at taking that game had their big man not been an idiot and get T'd up for his 5th foul of the game.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #60 (permalink)

I think UMASS loses by double digits no matter who they play (better be Tennessee)

South: Eastern Kentucky over Kansas, Stephen Austin to sweet sixteen.

East: Providence vs Connecticut in sweet sixteen.

West: Oklahoma State in final four, Oregon over Wisconsin.

Midwest: Tennessee and NC State win two, Duke over Michigan, otherwise chalk.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #61 (permalink)

Also could see a Harvard vs Delaware matchup
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #62 (permalink)

I'm becomming more and more convinced MSU doesn't make the FF after I read and watch more "experts" give their picks.

I don't think I've seen a single one NOT pick MSU to the final four and a majority of them also are picking them to win it all too. These consensus picks when it's not a 1 seed with an obvious path to the FF just NEVER seem to work out.

I personally still can't pick against them yet in my own brackets because I agree with it, but there always just seems to be something about these kind of picks
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #63 (permalink)

I can see mercer beating duke. Starting 5 is all seniors.
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm becomming more and more convinced MSU doesn't make the FF after I read and watch more "experts" give their picks.

I don't think I've seen a single one NOT pick MSU to the final four and a majority of them also are picking them to win it all too. These consensus picks when it's not a 1 seed with an obvious path to the FF just NEVER seem to work out.

I personally still can't pick against them yet in my own brackets because I agree with it, but there always just seems to be something about these kind of picks
Saw before the brackets came out that Delaware gets 58 ppg from their three top guards. Eastern Michigan has three point shooting, really all you need to beat Syracuse
Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #65 (permalink)

As of right now I've got three 11 seeds winning, Oregon beating Wiscy, and UNC to the Elite 8 as my main upsets
Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Saw before the brackets came out that Delaware gets 58 ppg from their three top guards.
Seriously?

That's crazy, I still can't see MSU going down in the first round, but that is a rather impressive stat
Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #67 (permalink)

Delaware lost to Richmond who we beat by double digits at their place, by four to Villanova, but by a lot to north Dakota and Ohio states. Played nobody in conference. Sadler 6-2 senior 19.7 points, usher 19.6 6.1 rebound 6-6 senior, Threatt 6-2 junior 18.1 5.8 5.6, Baptiste 6-9 250 senior 11.3 8, other starter averages eleven and is 6-2. Only average eleven bench points and play small. I think they are capable of upsetting anyone, but Izzo would be tough to beat.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Delaware lost to Richmond who we beat by double digits at their place, by four to Villanova, but by a lot to north Dakota and Ohio states. Played nobody in conference. Sadler 6-2 senior 19.7 points, usher 19.6 6.1 rebound 6-6 senior, Threatt 6-2 junior 18.1 5.8 5.6, Baptiste 6-9 250 senior 11.3 8, other starter averages eleven and is 6-2. Only average eleven bench points and play small. I think they are capable of upsetting anyone, but Izzo would be tough to beat.
Yea, just went and saw they average 80 points a game, that's what you need to pull an upset come March.

The way I've always seen it, teams that can put up a lot of points are always capable of pulling a big upset in the tournament, but to make a deep run you need to have the defense as well.

And while now that I look at it, Delaware very much looks like the type of team who would be able to pull a big time upset, there is just no way they are beating Izzo in the first round, just not gonna happen.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #69 (permalink)

How are the 65-68 teams determined? I was under the impression that it allowed basically four more 16 seeds, but some of the play-in games are not for the 16 seed.

I believe the invites should be to the top 64 teams, regardless of conference.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
How are the 65-68 teams determined? I was under the impression that it allowed basically four more 16 seeds, but some of the play-in games are not for the 16 seed.

I believe the invites should be to the top 64 teams, regardless of conference.
There are 4 "play-in" games, two of them for 16 seeds, the other two are for those final 4 teams into the tournament. Those are usually for the last two 11 or 12 seeds, although I think one year it might have been the last 13 seed, but not sure. All depends on how many upsets there are in conference tournaments and where those teams end up needing to be seeded.

If I knew I was going to be a 15 or 16 seed, I think I'd prefer to get put into that play-in game so that you had a realistic chance to actually win a tournament game.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #71 (permalink)

Anybody rooting for Wisconsin is un- American. Better dead than red.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:

Get on the wagon before it's too late.

First, MSU thumped Wisconsin (until the refs got them back in the game a bit), then they embarrassed Michigan. Looked like the MSU team from the beginning of the year.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #73 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Get on the wagon before it's too late.

First, MSU thumped Wisconsin (until the refs got them back in the game a bit), then they embarrassed Michigan. Looked like the MSU team from the beginning of the year.
Man fanboys make it hard to root for their team
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #74 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
Man fanboys make it hard to root for their team

Yep, good thing the board looks at the entire body of work, and not just 2 games.

It's going to be hard for me to pick them over Cincy.

Last edited by groundsupport; 03-17-2014 at 08:35 AM.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #75 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Wow the Midwest is stacked.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote