Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Now we're talking, someone talking about actual basketball

Our FT shooting is my main concern, the offense doesn't worry me because it's good enough as our defenses will keep us in every game regardless, but the FT's do scare me.

The only thing that might help us in that regard is that our team numbers are pretty skewed from just how bad Gordon is and how bad Hollis-Jefferson was until about 6 weeks ago as they take a ton of free throws. We can take Gordon out on offense if needed to keep him away from being fouled.

But if you were to tell me nowp that we got bounced early, I'd bet a lot of money that it was the FT's that caused it
All I'm saying is if Nick Johnson can play big like he normally does and you guys hit a decent amount of FTs Arizona will be tough to beat. They do have it easy so maybe FTs won't be a problem.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcollector View Post
All I'm saying is if Nick Johnson can play big like he normally does and you guys hit a decent amount of FTs Arizona will be tough to beat. They do have it easy so maybe FTs won't be a problem.
I actually don't think it's Johnson who needs to play the best (obviously we need our All-American to play great) but I think Tarczewski is a bigger key to our success. When we're able to establish his offensive game down low early in the game, it opens up the rest of our offense because the defense almost always has to collapse on him as not many college players can handle him 1 on 1 in the post. it opens up the 3 point line for York and Johnson, which then opens up the lanes for Gordon and Hollis-Jefferson.

Tarczewski getting established sets off the rest of the offense, but if Johnson goes off for 25 points, I'd say there is almost no chance we lose.

My other concern is foul trouble as we're just not a deep team, particularly in the front court now that Ashley is done. Now we've been very good this year with fouls and it hasn't hurt us, and you'd think they'll let the players play a little more in the tournament so it shouldn't get worse, but better.

But it still doesn't change that one bad game with fouls to Tarczewski and/or Gordon early could be too much to overcome depending on the team we're playing.

Like I said, there are plenty of reasons this team (or any team in the nation for that matter) could falter early. But it's the strengths of this team that I have a hard time understanding how so many people think they stand no shot at a FF or NC run.

Best defense in the nation, one of the best rebounding teams in the nation, two of the best defenders in the nation (Gordon and Johnson), great PG play, leadership and coaching.

This team has WAY more great qualities than bad ones
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #128 (permalink)

I honestly just think without Brandon Ashley they are a completely different team

They didnt lose with him and they beat teams like Duke, Michigan, SDSU, and even UCLA (who they just lost to)

Their potential IMO isnt nearly as high w/o him

Not much statistics just from the games before and after they are a different team and its not close
Quote:
Would love to hear your reasoning why the best defensive team in the nation, in the weakest region, with great guard play, a legit 7 footer, and the best defender in the nation wouldn't be in your top 6?

The only arguments I see on here against Arizona is that the conference is weak, would love to hear some legit basketball reasoning around these thoughts.

There are multiple things I could call out as to why we could get bounced early, but there are more reasons for a deep run possibility.

But I've never seen anyone give actual reasons why they don't like Arizona this year besides the "they're just not gonna go deep, the P12 sucks, blah blah blah"
jbmets95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmets95 View Post
I honestly just think without Brandon Ashley they are a completely different team

They didnt lose with him and they beat teams like Duke, Michigan, SDSU, and even UCLA (who they just lost to)

Their potential IMO isnt nearly as high w/o him

Not much statistics just from the games before and after they are a different team and its not close
Well of course were not the same team without someone who would have probably been a first round pick in the draft.

We're most definetley not as good of an offensive team without him, but were actually a better defensive team because it's giving more time for Hollis-Jefferson as our best defensive five even with Ashley was with him on the bench
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #130 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

What are you scared to join zona? Get your expert ass in the tourny!
groundsupport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
I've never understood this argument

We're fans, we're supposed to dream and look ahead, the players need to be focused on the game at hand and not look ahead, that's all that matters
Looking way ahead is how you end up massively disappointed.

I'm speaking from experience.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post

Id love to here this experience. lol
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:

At this point, after the season we've had, me looking one game at a time or 6 ahead isn't going to effect any disappointment.

Even in the pre-season, this year was all about a Final Four run and anything less would be a disappointment. So right now I'm just trying to ride the wave and hope for a FF run.

And while it would suck to get that far and not win it all, as long as we make that FF I'll be able to look back on this season with joy as I haven't been apart of one yet with Arizona's last being 3 years before I went there.

I've been through two buzzer beater losses in the Elite 8 as well as one in the Sweet 16, a Sweet 16 beat down, a bunch of early exits, and the unfortunate ending of our tournament streak.

I'm not new to disappointment (see the Panthers fan in me) so to have a team this good in this position to make a run in a weak bracket, I know the possible negatives, everyone does about their own team, but I'm all about the positive right now. My life revolves around Arizona Basketball, anyone who knows me in person can tell you this, so I'm enjoying this season, this seed, and the possibilities

Bear Down Arizona!!!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #134 (permalink)
Banned

Anyone know if Joel Embid will play at any point this tournament?
ConRyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
Anyone know if Joel Embid will play at any point this tournament?
Might if they make the 2nd weekend, but I read he has a stress fracture in his back, so it likely won't matter if he's playing, wouldn't be anywhere close to 100%.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #136 (permalink)

Maybe I'm on an island, but after thinking about it, I think Louisville is getting massively overrated. Sure they're playing great (yes, coming from an MSU fan, ignore that part here) but their best win all season is against a 5 seed in the tourney.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #137 (permalink)

Yes

They killed the bad teams and lost to the good

They have just looked so good recently and Petino and the experience is pretty important

Quote:
Maybe I'm on an island, but after thinking about it, I think Louisville is getting massively overrated. Sure they're playing great (yes, coming from an MSU fan, ignore that part here) but their best win all season is against a 5 seed in the tourney.
jbmets95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #138 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:

All he has to do is look back to last year
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
All he has to do is look back to last year
I was thinking about 2010-11 when they started off preseason #2.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #140 (permalink)

I am gonna laugh when Gonzaga beats Oklahoma State.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread. Gonzaga is 5-0 all time vs. The Pokes, and OSU has never won an NCAA tournament game west of Oklahoma City.

I am kicking myself for deciding to take a trip to Canada in two weeks. This year turned out to be the best case scenario for me with both of my favorite teams playing in the same arena, San Diego. I would have never thought that to happen ever.

Friday is going to be a lot of fun. Go Zags and Go Tulsa!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Their region is setup really well for them to make a run at the Final 4. I think that is really what is important. They matchup fairly well with the teams in the region. Wichita can give them a good game because they can match Louisville's toughness and physicallity.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #142 (permalink)

Anyone besides myself actually think UVA has a legitimate shot at making final 4?

I mean I got them winning it all (lol how could I not) but I was just wondering why everyone has MSU over UVA in the final 4. Don't get me wrong, I think msu an izzo are great but anytime there is a consensus pick w brackets it's usually wrong. (Other than uk a few yrs ago)

Last 3 of 4 yrs an ACC school has made it to the final 4. Why not UVA this year?
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
I am gonna laugh when Gonzaga beats Oklahoma State.
I made that pick as well
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #144 (permalink)

People are also overlooking Iowa State in that bracket.. Kane is no joke.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Got them elite 8 vs UVA

They're good this yr! I don't think many ppl know about them
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
I think they can make a serious run to the final 4.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
Anyone besides myself actually think UVA has a legitimate shot at making final 4?

I mean I got them winning it all (lol how could I not) but I was just wondering why everyone has MSU over UVA in the final 4. Don't get me wrong, I think msu an izzo are great but anytime there is a consensus pick w brackets it's usually wrong. (Other than uk a few yrs ago)

Last 3 of 4 yrs an ACC school has made it to the final 4. Why not UVA this year?
I have Virginia making a serious run to the Sweet16.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
I have Virginia making a serious run to the Sweet16.
Of course you do.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #149 (permalink)

would love to see UNC make a good run...

Hope to see dook fall quickly

Allen Iverson, Lebron James Game Used & 2004-05 Upper Deck Basketball (Anything for my set)
Nyfancam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #150 (permalink)

UNC loses to Providence first round.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote