Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default The Panini America Quality Control Gallery: 2013-14 Panini Basketball (81 Sweet Pics)

The Panini America Quality Control Gallery: 2013-14 Panini Basketball (81 Sweet Pics)
Apr 3rd 2014, 15:03, by Tracy Hackler

No single product dotting the vast and varied roster of Panini America sports trading card releases has come to embrace the majestic Panini knight quite like base-brand Panini Basketball. And if youíve learned anything at all in the almost four years of reading this blog, itís this: Embracing the Panini knight is a good, good thing.
Obviously, we love the Panini knight. Heís colorful. Heís distinguished. He carries a lance. And a shield. He wears a suit of armor, proudly hoists the Panini crest, and is easily the most unique and instantly recognizable ďmascotĒ in the industry. Yep, for all those reasons and so many more, we dig the dude. Which happens to be one of the many reasons we dig 2013-14 Panini Basketball.

2013-14 Panini Basketball, like its predecessor from last season, is completely in on all things knightly and noble, from the catchy named ó and nicely designed ó Knight School insert to the deftly die-cut Knights of the Round insert to the many foiled colors of Knight base-set parallels. But 2013-14 Panini Basketball, due out everywhere next Wednesday, is about more than just the knight.
Itís also about a bold, colorful base set and some wicked-cool ó and rarely featured ó photography in the Birdís Eye View and Preparation inserts. Itís about autographs of rookies, veterans and legends, and the thrill of chasing SSP base inserts like Favorites and the aforementioned Knights of the Round. Itís about a fun, cost-effective set thatís geared toward set-builders and insert-chasers.
Check it all out in the Quality Control Gallery that follows and stay tuned to The Knightís Lance for additional coverage of 2013-14 Panini Basketball.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Singles for me!
Zacy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why did I think 2013-14 Panini was already out?

Anyways, this is my kind of product.....cheap, looks decent, lots of inserts, a couple of nice auto/#'d sets.

I know you high rollas HATE seeing the likes of Tree Rollins or Gary Trent on the auto checklist, but as a bball nerd from wayback, I love it.

Last edited by Giantrobot; 04-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Giantrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

The knights of the round are always a very cool card to chase after.
With lots of cool inserts it would be a fun box to open without breaking any savings.

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

The Bird's eye view is a nice set, just wish it wasnt cartoony looking, the rest looks like every other product though

ALBUM http://www.finalsmvp.com/
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

The checklist is up on Panini's site if anyone is interested.
eddiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like players in motion, in game, like old UD, for low end stuff. So well done, no only Hoops, no only photoshop. Better product this year (not bad last year) Nice inserts.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looks pretty identical to last years ... blah.

At least this year they didn't lie and say all of the autographs would be on-card, and then VOILA! They all hit the market as sticker autos
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Boxes will be a tough sell with no big name rookie.

Panini needs to think outside of the box and try to come up with something amazing that will help sell product.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

These cards look ok. I like the Bird's Eye View inserts.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotachill View Post
Boxes will be a tough sell with no big name rookie.

Panini needs to think outside of the box and try to come up with something amazing that will help sell product.
They need to think INSIDE the box -- think about what they're actually putting IN these boxes! -- BLAH!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

How many different variances of Hall of Fame signatures, autos, Marks of the Hall etc will they continue to produce with the same guys over and over?

That is my only complaint and that could be used across the board for the most part.
440shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is always a ok low end product depending on price point. I have to say I HATE the rated rookie patch thing or any manufactured patch. I'd rather just have a sticker on card. And for everyone who was waiting for that chance to get a Tree Rollins...

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
The knights of the round are always a very cool card to chase after.
With lots of cool inserts it would be a fun box to open without breaking any savings.
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

I like how they say these Birds Eye View cards are innovative. You can open just about any old school box of Upper Deck or Stadium Club and find cards with similar photography.

That sort of photography was the norm back then. After many years of pathetic stand-there-with-a-ball-and-smile photography, these in game shots are suddenly something special.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Panini is allowed to make way to many products...

Last years is maybe 30-35 dollars a box

Just another product you just have to wait a month to buy at half price

Panini is very poor for the hobby imo

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Looks decent to me......for what it is, a low end product with 2-3 auto's and decent inserts.
The title of this thread should be:
The Panini America Quality Control Gallery: 2013-14 Panini Basketball - Let's see how many people can complain about Panini

I know alot of people don't like Panini, just like people choose Coke over Pepsi, and Ford over Chevy..........don't like it, don't buy it. I think half the posts I read every day turn into "too many products" "Panini is bad for the hobby", blah, blah, blah......
DON'T BUY IT!!! The stuff sells so the companies don't care, and frankly nobody cares who does and doesn't like Panini, or Topps, or UD........I understand people expressing their opinion on here, but I for one do not care who likes Panini and who doesn't....I do. I don't like UD, but I don't bash every thread that promotes new UD products.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

It is weird that all the base card photos are using the same dribble or gathering move. Does Panini pay extra $$ for a dunk or layup photo?

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

These are very clean-looking cards. Some nice, non-gimmicky designs. There are definitely people at Panini who "get it", and I am happy they still make basic sets like these for collectors.
Giantrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
These are very clean-looking cards. Some nice, non-gimmicky designs. I am happy they still make basic sets like these for collectors.
Agreed. Great set especially for kids and people who don't buy a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
I know you high rollas HATE seeing the likes of Tree Rollins or Gary Trent on the auto checklist, but as a bball nerd from wayback, I love it.
I love it too. Nice to get autos of guys who rarely get hobby love, but were always fun to watch ball. It's crazy when you think about it. But there are much less Tree Rollins or Gary Trent autos out on the market than say Kyrie or Lillard.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Ifeature/library/ - Lower end Hits & RCs on COMC
smalltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
It is weird that all the base card photos are using the same dribble or gathering move. Does Panini pay extra $$ for a dunk or layup photo?
I wonder if it has to do with who is taking the picture? I've seen photographers putting cameras on the backboard but I wonder if only certain ones are allowed to do that so Panini has to use "regular" ones?
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Those rated rookie auto's are kinda cool.
Singles for this product no doubt
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

the autos look not too bad, the rated rookies dont look that bad even with the fake patch thing, but in the lowest end set, thats where they should have a set like that, so its not a big deal. the refractor inserts look ok too. i dunno how many base parallels there are and what theyre numbered to, that would help determine if this would be a good break at $30 or so.
inopethflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

The "Preparation" insert is cool looking, pre game photography. Terrible name though. Reminds me off Preparation H or something.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronscott4ever View Post
I wonder if it has to do with who is taking the picture? I've seen photographers putting cameras on the backboard but I wonder if only certain ones are allowed to do that so Panini has to use "regular" ones?
Even if that is correct, it shouldn't be just 1 person work. I mean, basketball is not just about dribbling. What about "pointing up to the sky" photo? What about "shot blocking" photo? What about "time-out T" photo? None.

I feel like this product is like those "Upper Dec" product. Compare to 97-98 Upper Deck, you see the photos were taken from different part of the court. Some of them are even off-court pictures. I'm not saying Panini should make exactly what UD does. But from most of the Panini products, I juse see the same style of photos being used every year.

1997-98 Upper Deck Basketball Cards matching: 1997-98 upper deck - COMC

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote