Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperfan3 View Post
The fact that there are people going after the Magic owner proves exactly that. You are missing the point.
Don't waste your breath with Tommy, he thinks because of Sterling's past, he should be prosecuted now for something that's not even a crime.

While I'm IN NO WAY JUSTIFYING STERLING'S ACTIONS, I find it ridiculous how this situation was handled.

Hey guys, tell me this, can the police break down someone's door WITHOUT A WARRANT and then arrest them for possessing stolen items they find? They need to have a warrant first, given based on reasonable cause. I'm pretty sure you will win a court judgement if you were arrested on a situation like that where a warrant was not taken out. So Sterling is being punished on his "thoughts" and not an actual "crime" or "violation", right?

(I might be wrong here^, but just asking anyways) ... So Sterling can be illegally recorded and then punished based on his THOUGHTS ... Nowhere did he commit a crime AT THIS CURRENT TIME. Maybe in the past he did things that were clearly racist, but AT THIS TIME did he commit a crime?

If not, then he is being punished on his thoughts/beliefs.

If that's the case, he's being denied his Constitutional rights, no?

And AGAIN (for the fools who like to skip this part) I IN NO WAY SUPPORT STERLING'S THOUGHTS!

But I think the situation was mishandled due to HR/PR protection of the NBA, and now it's setting a precedent for future/similar situations to be handled with severe strictness as well.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperfan3 View Post
The fact that there are people going after the Magic owner proves exactly that. You are missing the point.
Who are "these people"? I see one article from the Orlando Sentinel with speculation. People speculate all the time about everything, that doesn't mean action.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by realreodeal View Post
You are a moron!
And you apparently support the public humiliation of disabled peoples!

You ma'm are the real moron here!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Don't waste your breath with Tommy, he thinks because of Sterling's past, he should be prosecuted now for something that's not even a crime.

While I'm IN NO WAY JUSTIFYING STERLING'S ACTIONS, I find it ridiculous how this situation was handled.

Hey guys, tell me this, can the police break down someone's door WITHOUT A WARRANT and then arrest them for possessing stolen items they find? They need to have a warrant first, given based on reasonable cause. I'm pretty sure you will win a court judgement if you were arrested on a situation like that where a warrant was not taken out. So Sterling is being punished on his "thoughts" and not an actual "crime" or "violation", right?

(I might be wrong here^, but just asking anyways) ... So Sterling can be illegally recorded and then punished based on his THOUGHTS ... Nowhere did he commit a crime AT THIS CURRENT TIME. Maybe in the past he did things that were clearly racist, but AT THIS TIME did he commit a crime?

And AGAIN (for the fools who like to skip this part) I IN NO WAY SUPPORT STERLING'S THOUGHTS!

But I think the situation was mishandled due to HR/PR protection of the NBA, and now it's setting a precedent for future/similar situations to be handled with severe strictness as well.
You really are thick.

Once you understand the difference between a private organization and government actions, maybe something will get through to you. The fact that you even bring up doors being busted down and people being arrested means you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am done with you. It is frickin' pointless.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
And you apparently support the public humiliation of disabled peoples!

You ma'm are the real moron here!
You are doing a good job of publicly humiliating yourself! Most of your recent threads are so outrageous. It's as you have no friends and want some attention.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:

Do you not understand that this was not a legal issue?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you not understand that this was not a legal issue?
The quick answer is... not at all.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
You really are thick.

Once you understand the difference between a private organization and government actions, maybe something will get through to you. The fact that you even bring up doors being busted down and people being arrested means you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am done with you. It is frickin' pointless.
Did you read my first post?

The NBA acted on Sterling based on racist thoughts. (And prior racist thoughts/actions).

The NBA, TNT, and Shaq's other endorsements should act upon Shaq's prejudiced picture/comments towards disabled people.

Just because Shaq had no prior incidents specifically, does not make this right. Shaq is part owner of the Kings, and TNT host. He is in the spotlight more than Sterling and actually has more of an impact on society due to his fame and popularity.

I'm done with you, there's no point in trying to prove to someone that there should be punishment handed out to a celebrity/owner based on a public and voluntary prejudiced action.

I guess you are OK with a public figure publically humiliating a disabled person ... and I'm done trying to argue with you (and others!) that it is WRONG and needs to be PUNISHED!

Good day!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
You are doing a good job of publicly humiliating yourself! Most of your recent threads are so outrageous. It's as you have no friends and want some attention.
LOL ok!

Perhaps it's that I bring up sensitive issues that people have opinions that differ on.

There are a handful, at least, of members who agree with me here. So everyone ganging up on me doesn't bother me one bit, especially with the personal, irrelevant comments to me.

Don't need/care about the attention, like to discuss relevant, interesting issues.

Friends? Not sure exactly what you mean, but I don't want/need internet-friends on a sports-card message board lol. Some of you guys are buddy-buddy with others on here, that's good for you, but my friends are real-life humans in-person. Interesting though...

You have 2000 posts, have been a member since 2009, only have 1 transaction here, and I only hear you voice your opinion on issues where you don't agree with others, or you pop up when someone says something that hurts your feelings about your horrible Detroit Pistons. The plethora of unproductive one-liner responses to troll and derail threads ... So maybe, it's you who need the friendship here?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL ok!

Perhaps it's that I bring up sensitive issues that people have opinions that differ on.

There are a handful, at least, of members who agree with me here. So everyone ganging up on me doesn't bother me one bit, especially with the personal, irrelevant comments to me.

Don't need/care about the attention, like to discuss relevant, interesting issues.

Friends? Not sure exactly what you mean, but I don't want/need internet-friends on a sports-card message board lol. Some of you guys are buddy-buddy with others on here, that's good for you, but my friends are real-life humans in-person. Interesting though...

You have 2000 posts, have been a member since 2009, only have 1 transaction here, and I only hear you voice your opinion on issues where you don't agree with others, or you pop up when someone says something that hurts your feelings about your horrible Detroit Pistons. The plethora of unproductive one-liner responses to troll and derail threads ... So maybe, it's you who need the friendship here?

What sterling did in the past was infact Illegal, he settled off court to avoid prosecution.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you read my first post?

The NBA acted on Sterling based on racist thoughts. (And prior racist thoughts/actions).

The NBA, TNT, and Shaq's other endorsements should act upon Shaq's prejudiced picture/comments towards disabled people.

Just because Shaq had no prior incidents specifically, does not make this right. Shaq is part owner of the Kings, and TNT host. He is in the spotlight more than Sterling and actually has more of an impact on society due to his fame and popularity.

I'm done with you, there's no point in trying to prove to someone that there should be punishment handed out to a celebrity/owner based on a public and voluntary prejudiced action.

I guess you are OK with a public figure publically humiliating a disabled person ... and I'm done trying to argue with you (and others!) that it is WRONG and needs to be PUNISHED!

Good day!
Quote:
Couple of things...

Shaq wasn't aware that the guy had a disorder. Not condoning what he did at all, but lets set some context here. Mocking most certainly can be hurtful and rightfully so, so the backlash is deserved.

Secondly, Shaq CALLED the guy directly to apologize for what he did. Didn't hide behind lawyers or at home.

Thirdly, this isn't something that Shaq has done previously. It doesn't appear that it was intended to be hurtful, but I am glad that he saw his mistake and owned up to it.

I am not saying he shouldn't be punished, but calling for a LIFETIME ban every time someone screws up is going to get really frickin' old. I mean, it has only been a week and I am sick of this calling "double standard" crap to everything.

Larry Johnson should be punished, Shaq should be punished... cool... but be realistic.
Because things need to be read back to you apparently?

Not once have I said Shaq shouldn't be punished. Not once!

But, a lifetime ban is too much for his offense... bottom line. Maybe he gets fired from TNT, that is possible. But the NBA shouldn't ban him.

Last edited by freethrowtommy; 05-01-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #87 (permalink)

This thread is more entertaining than the thunder/griz game. Great stuff! Carry on! Hahahahah.
GC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #88 (permalink)

Did Shaq know the guy was disabled? Cannot find a story that clarifies that.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL ok!

Much like most of your posts you don't research much. I have nearly 1200 feedback on eBay with over 800 transactions as a seller and I am at 100% feedback. I don't trade on here because I am not protected like on eBay. Second, I would like you to show me where I only post when someone says something negative about the Pistons, or are you talking out of your back side again????

You need mental help dude.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #90 (permalink)

I think this thread does in fact give merit to the idea that Sterling's banishment is the start of a slippery slope, opening up just about every offensive, bigoted, or stupid comment to this type of discussion (warranted or not).

While we're at it, take a look at Paul Shirley's book "Can I Keep My Jersey?" and read the comments from Tiny Archibald. Another pretty significant racial division issue.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenashcollecto View Post
The penalty for Sterlings deplorable act is fine. It just needs to be universal. You can't bring in past actions of Sterlings because silver very clearly stated he was punished only based on this one situation. Why are you defending Shaq's heinous actions? Do you think that it is okay to publicly humiliate someone with a handicap?

Are you simpleminded? Where in my words did I approve of Shaq's actions?

Typical Ignorance rears it head again and again through this thread.

BTW-For everyone that thinks Sterling was banned just because of this one incident doesn't grasp the situation completely. Legally Commissioner Silver couldn't say he made his ruling based on actions that Sterling wasn't convicted of. That would have opened a whole new can of worms, but rest assured they played a part in convincing him that he was a racist and a bigot and this one incident was looked at in more significant measure.

This would have divided the NBA on a massive scale, so how can what he said and Shaq did even be comparable in that sense? Shaq's actions wouldn't divided the NBA, Sterling's would have had it gone unpunished. Again, the true sense of his actions would be detrimental to the league.

Has Donald Sterling even apologized????

He admitted it was him on the tape, but no apology. Ummmm

Last edited by Pat3ntP3nd1ng; 05-02-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Pat3ntP3nd1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I think this thread does in fact give merit to the idea that Sterling's banishment is the start of a slippery slope, opening up just about every offensive, bigoted, or stupid comment to this type of discussion (warranted or not).

While we're at it, take a look at Paul Shirley's book "Can I Keep My Jersey?" and read the comments from Tiny Archibald. Another pretty significant racial division issue.
To be honest, the discussion should take place regarding punishments for actions like Sterling's (and any and all racial/sexist/bigoted/homophobic comments/actions), but to say that Sterling and Shaq are even remotely similar is crazy. Some common sense needs to be exercised in this.

Something like this will get everyone to look in the mirror and maybe think before they post that picture or tweet that thought. The internet hasn't created more idiots, it just gave them a wider audience to be an idiot in front of.

Regarding Sterling, I don't see it as a slippery slope as much as I see the NBA doing what they should have done a few years ago. The NBA has always been the progressive league on social issues and this is no different. The fact that Stern didn't rip the band-aid off before and ended up leaving it to Silver to do so when Sterling finally let loose again was pretty disappointing.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
To be honest, the discussion should take place regarding punishments for actions like Sterling's (and any and all racial/sexist/bigoted/homophobic comments/actions), but to say that Sterling and Shaq are even remotely similar is crazy. Some common sense needs to be exercised in this.

Something like this will get everyone to look in the mirror and maybe think before they post that picture or tweet that thought. The internet hasn't created more idiots, it just gave them a wider audience to be an idiot in front of.

Regarding Sterling, I don't see it as a slippery slope as much as I see the NBA doing what they should have done a few years ago. The NBA has always been the progressive league on social issues and this is no different. The fact that Stern didn't rip the band-aid off before and ended up leaving it to Silver to do so when Sterling finally let loose again was pretty disappointing.
I don't think this is going anywhere but I will agree to disagree.

Now, for something off subject. Does Blowout pay you to post? Almost 18k posts should get you in the BO hall of fame. If they aren't paying you in dollars I think you should go on strike till they at least pay you in unopened wax.
thenashcollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #94 (permalink)

Shaq didn't even know the guy he tweeted about was disabled did he? So how is it comparable to Sterling? Sterling knew exactly what he was talking about. I don't see why it is ok in the public eye to make fun of someone at all, yet nothing is said unless it turns out to be someone with a disability??

As for Sterling's mess... I am not American, but I do know that there has been a long history of racial 'wars' (for lack of a better word) where African Americans and other minorities have been the victim of blind hate that destroyed many lives. White people have never been subjected to the type of racism that others have, so to ever mention the "reverse racsim" argument is ridiculous IMO.
And the argument about Sterling having said these things in the the privacy of his own home is a joke too. It doesn't matter where he said it. The simple fact that he thinks that way is enough to remove him from ANY position of power in the NBA or any other publicly viewed organisation.

The Commish made the right choice and I don't think Shaq should suffer anything near the same. But he really does need to stop and think about what impact things he does/says have on other.... I think we ALL do, not just celebrities!
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #95 (permalink)

Did anybody actually listen to the Sterling convo?

If the nba was truly progressive on social issues he
would have been gone when he actually exhibited racist
behavior not asking his gf to refrain from public association
with non white people.

Shaq said something stupid and ignorant and a personal
apology is sufficient as long as the guy is ok with it.

But were your "zero tolerance" policy looks foolish is when
you promote discriminating rappers as center pieces of
events.

But much like the Sterling issues which went ignored for
years and rapper's involvement cash is greater than morals.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #96 (permalink)

It's........ Dr. SHAQ!

Did Shaq know of his condition? I HIGLY doubt it. A total stranger? How would he know?

What did he say to Shaq? Did this guys "disorder" stop him from insulting Shaq?

These are all questions we should be asking. Now, keep in mind, I haven't even clicked on the link to read, bad reception...,, but do you REALLY believe a guy like Shaq would do/say such a thing KNOWING???

Again, I highly doubt it.

Ban SHAQ?! Are you CRAZY!!!?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #97 (permalink)

[QUOTE=drob50;7183324]Shaq didn't even know the guy he tweeted about was disabled did he? So how is it comparable to Sterling? Sterling knew exactly what he was talking about. I don't see why it is ok in the public eye to make fun of someone at all, yet nothing is said unless it turns out to be someone with a disability??

As for Sterling's mess... I am not American, but I do know that there has been a long history of racial 'wars' (for lack of a better word) where African Americans and other minorities have been the victim of blind hate that destroyed many lives. White people have never been subjected to the type of racism that others have, so to ever mention the "reverse racsim" argument is ridiculous IMO.
And the argument about Sterling having said these things in the the privacy of his own home is a joke too. It doesn't matter where he said it. The simple fact that he thinks that way is enough to remove him from ANY position of power in the NBA or any other publicly viewed organisation.

The Commish made the right choice and I don't think Shaq should suffer anything near the same. But he really does need to stop and think about what impact things he does/says have on other.... I think we ALL do, not just celebrities![/QUOTE]

Why would reverse racism be ridiculous? It's a common thing for years African American on whites African American on other African Americans Hispanics etc.
I respect your opinion but I honestly don't follow.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #98 (permalink)

#daddyneverhugsme

2013 Topps Chrome Blue Wave Refractors (170/220)
AndrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBarnett View Post

Why would reverse racism be ridiculous? It's a common thing for years African American on whites African American on other African Americans Hispanics etc.
I respect your opinion but I honestly don't follow.
I'm not saying racism is ok when against white people, just saying that the level of discrimination against Aftican Americans and other minorities over the years is nothing like anything White people have experienced.

Look at the difference between when an African American is called the 'N' word compared to a white person being called 'cracker'. It is a big deal for African Americans because of the history behind the use of the word.

I'm just saying you can't compare the two instances!
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
I'm not saying racism is ok when against white people, just saying that the level of discrimination against Aftican Americans and other minorities over the years is nothing like anything White people have experienced.

Look at the difference between when an African American is called the 'N' word compared to a white person being called 'cracker'. It is a big deal for African Americans because of the history behind the use of the word.

I'm just saying you can't compare the two instances!
Ok i clearly misunderstood when you used ridiculous. I get what you're saying.