Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
OMG

Default Does anyone actually make a living from this hobby ?

I've seen plenty of people invest in cards but I was wondering if anyone actually makes a living from this hobby , to pay their bills , living expenses , etc . No other job , just buying / selling cards .

I guess if you know what your doing and have some luck you can make alot of money in this hobby .

I see sellers on ebay like Ian and BigBoy who sell thousands and thousands of cards , I assume this is prob their full time job .

Would be nice to have a job buying / selling cards instead of some boring 9-5
http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/OMGmyBucket92/library/?sort=3&page=1
OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know a couple of people here that do it And make pretty decent money doing it.
huskerman47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG View Post
I've seen plenty of people invest in cards but I was wondering if anyone actually makes a living from this hobby , to pay their bills , living expenses , etc . No other job , just buying / selling cards .

I guess if you know what your doing and have some luck you can make alot of money in this hobby .

I see sellers on ebay like Ian and BigBoy who sell thousands and thousands of cards , I assume this is prob their full time job .

Would be nice to have a job buying / selling cards instead of some boring 9-5

id rather work the boring 9-5.... I cant imagine how many hours of finding the cards, then preparing them to sell with pics, then printing postage and all that crap.....no way give me the 9-5 all day long...hell even a 9-9 lmfao
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerman47 View Post
I know a couple of people here that do it And make pretty decent money doing it.
I know a few people who invest and made some nice cash from this hobby .

I dont think its possible to do this as a 9-5 , when you buy a card , it sometimes takes months / year for it to go up in value .

Unless you buy cards at supper low discount price and flip them right away , but contently buying cards for cheap would be hard to do imo
http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/OMGmyBucket92/library/?sort=3&page=1
OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
k13

Distributors....
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Plenty of people make money. Plenty of people make big money. You just have to know what you're doing and invest an appropriate amount of time and capital.

If I didn't have a professional degree (and massive loan debt), I'd be selling cards for a living, surely.

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would imagine Probstein, Big Boyd, etc. make their living from sports cards.

A local dealer makes his living solely on vintage baseball and football cards. He no longer sells on Ebay, but has built a large clientele over the past 25 years.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sure Well known Group breakers makes a lot of Money!

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know how you make a living on this hobby. It is so hard to sell for profit.

PC: Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Anthony Davis, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins
dapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
I don't know how you make a living on this hobby. It is so hard to sell for profit.
Your right, the flooded market proves that everyday. Collectors will take advantage of great premium at a bargain. I know I have.
Bigalloyd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

This post has caused more harm to the original poster's intent of this post, than I intended. For that, I apologize. It is now edited to not further infuriate other posters, and this debate can cease to exist.

Last edited by ForTheQuinn94; 10-17-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Came off as pompous, not intended.
ForTheQuinn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

^ By far the most pompous and arrogant thing I've heard on here. It's one thing to have a difference in opinion about lifestyle, but to put yourself on a pedestal on a public forum, smh...to go out of your way to write a small essay with visual aids. And please don't respond to me with "how much do you make?" That's not the point, everyone has the potential to make money sometime in their lifetime, you seem to have finances figured out. So...why don't you work on your character and confidence, cause those that have it don't feel the need to post it on here. FYI, I don't do the hobby as a living, but your post was so ridiculous I had to respond.
shindo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindo03 View Post
^ By far the most pompous and arrogant thing I've heard on here. It's one thing to have a difference in opinion about lifestyle, but to put yourself on a pedestal on a public forum, smh...to go out of your way to write a small essay with visual aids. And please don't respond to me with "how much do you make?" That's not the point, everyone has the potential to make money sometime in their lifetime, you seem to have finances figured out. So...why don't you work on your character and confidence, cause those that have it don't feel the need to post it on here. FYI, I don't do the hobby as a living, but your post was so ridiculous I had to respond.
I highly agree, who does that guy think he is? Was all of what he said really necessary to post? Absolutely not....I just love how people are so humble now adays
Collecting: Raimel Tapia, Drew Brees
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe to you, but I had a question based on a poster's comments. He said he will give up his job, in which he has a professional degree, to sell cards... while also mentioning plenty make big money on selling cards. More than one poster mentioned that. So, how much then? 50k, 100k, 150k? Sell in bulk, hold on and sell a vintage for a huge amount?

You can take my post as pompous and arrogant, but I asked a question first and foremost, which I was genuinely interested in. The rest of my post was a point being made about how these guys who make big money on the hobby. You don't think they jack prices up if that's their only job, whether it be modern or vintage cards. I don't like that. They are strictly looking for massive profit if that's their only job.

I didn't come here to showboat. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I got a late start, but I am hooked now, as I love NFL and College football and collecting players.

Also, I could care less about your opinion of me, in general. We don't know each other, so block me, and you're poor eyes won't have to witness my "pompousness and arrogance" again.

Last edited by ForTheQuinn94; 10-16-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

I mean he had to go out of his way to get the visual aids out with the picture of his car like this was show and tell lol...I know kids, I mean kids younger than him with a better whip game. A mustang... A mustang with Oklahoma City thunder blue stripes, would make a better alternate uniform for the thunder than a paint job on the car. I normally dont bash , but it's my pleasure to bring this one down to earth..* air out of balloon sound*, whoops just deflated his ego...
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I mean he had to go out of his way to get the visual aids out with the picture of his car like this was show and tell lol...I know kids, I mean kids younger than him with a better whip game. A mustang... A mustang with Oklahoma City thunder blue stripes, would make a better alternate uniform for the thunder than a paint job on the car. I normally dont bash , but it's my pleasure to bring this one down to earth..* air out of balloon sound*, whoops just deflated his ego...
Now, you begin to troll... like you are worth any of my time, now. Your "game" is weak, man. I'll just let you be.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94 View Post
Maybe to you, but I had a question based on a poster's comments. He said he will give up his job, in which he has a professional degree, to sell cards... while also mentioning plenty make big money on selling cards. More than one poster mentioned that. So, how much then? 50k, 100k, 150k? Sell in bulk, hold on and sell a vintage for a huge amount?

You can take my post as pompous and arrogant, but I asked a question first and foremost, which I was genuinely interested in. The rest of my post was a point being made about how these guys who make big money on the hobby. You don't think they jack prices up if that's their only job, whether it be modern or vintage cards. I don't like that. They are strictly looking for massive profit if that's their only job.

I didn't come here to showboat. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I got a late start, but I am hooked now, as I love NFL and College football and collecting players.

Also, I could care less about your opinion of me, in general. We don't know each other, so block me, and you're poor eyes won't have witness my "pompousness and arrogance" again.
Stop contradicting yourself. You did showboat or no pictures would have been added with the caption about "this is what a real job gets you." I'm an adult I don't need to block anything bro..I was just saying how arrogant and pompous you sounded, I really preferred to call you something else, but I can't. I think we all know what that word is. You seem to be able to make the big bucks, so do the math. If someone is selling something using this hobby with a profit margin of $400 or more for 5 days of the week then what is the annual income????? And don't even say some of medium end breakers on live stream websites don't make over $400 a day lmfao...get educated son. ROI my friend, ROI... Try google if you don't understand..
Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not trolling seriously... Read your post. I'm sure there are others that agree with you. Shoot agree with you about the fact having both money and time to spend money is better , but after that you basically gloated and basically called out everyone that is doing it for a living. Without them then there would be no hobby so even if you had your rinky dink 90k annual income and limited edition okc mustang with a bunch of time, you wouldn't have any wax to rip lol...
Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

If you want to make money from this hobby for living, you have to deal with all sports and non-sports and keep things rotated.

Second you have to provide service like cosigning or grading or case break (anything you can think of) to increase your income stream.

As far as making "good" money, I am not sure what is considering good. You have to think how many hours you have to put into this hobby. Maybe this hobby fits perfectly into your lifestyle. Example you work at home while take care baby, while your wife has an $100K+ salary job. That saves tons of money on daycare and stuff.

Personally, I would go for stock market rather than playing with cards on making money. The opportunity is much bigger. Card is just safer way to deal with (unless you are talking fire in the house or something...)

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

there cant be more than a few people in the whole world that would make an actual full fledged living by selling singles. and i mean like 20-40 year olds, not if your 50 and made a good living and are retired and sell cards too to make like 10k a year or more or whatever. plus you would need some kind of job to start with to get money to invest in cards, and itd have to be a good amount, not $5k or something and expect to make $50k a year to live on. plus the tax situation, you would most likely be paying taxes at the end of the year, plus insurance and living expenses, plus the 13% ebay/paypal fees.

if you would have some situation where you had a good amount of money saved up and stuck mainly to dealing in boxes/cases, then maybe, especially if you were able to live with your parents for a few years to start. i would be nervous to do anything like that if i absolutely had to make money to live, 99.999% of people are just gonna get a real job and not deal with that stress.
inopethflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
If you want to make money from this hobby for living, you have to deal with all sports and non-sports and keep things rotated.

Second you have to provide service like cosigning or grading or case break (anything you can think of) to increase your income stream.

As far as making "good" money, I am not sure what is considering good. You have to think how many hours you have to put into this hobby. Maybe this hobby fits perfectly into your lifestyle. Example you work at home while take care baby, while your wife has an $100K+ salary job. That saves tons of money on daycare and stuff.

Personally, I would go for stock market rather than playing with cards on making money. The opportunity is much bigger. Card is just safer way to deal with (unless you are talking fire in the house or something...)
I agree... I think people are either considering the hobby as a specific part or a generalization. I am saying that people make money off this hobby and a lot of it whether they are investors, dealers, distributors, breakers, or brokers. If we are talking about just sitting on cards and flipping by ebay camping, then it's a select few people.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Stop contradicting yourself. You did showboat or no pictures would have been added with the caption about "this is what a real job gets you." I'm an adult I don't need to block anything bro..I was just saying how arrogant and pompous you sounded, I really preferred to call you something else, but I can't. I think we all know what that word is. You seem to be able to make the big bucks, so do the math. If someone is selling something using this hobby with a profit margin of $400 or more for 5 days of the week then what is the annual income????? And don't even say some of medium end breakers on live stream websites don't make over $400 a day lmfao...get educated son. ROI my friend, ROI... Try google if you don't understand..
You forgot his job mostly have 401k, medical benefit and paid vacation. In addition, he mostly get 7+% on annual raise and 15+% on promotion. This $400 a day income does not come with that. Of course, unless you can expand your business, then that is different story.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree... I think people are either considering the hobby as a specific part or a generalization. I am saying that people make money off this hobby and a lot of it whether they are investors, dealers, distributors, breakers, or brokers. If we are talking about just sitting on cards and flipping by ebay camping, then it's a select few people.
Actually, I think more than "few" people. You see, they have channels to sell like ebay, forum, card show and local customers. Are they going to make $100+k? Then maybe a few. But if we are talking $50k? I think it is very doable. And if you live in a state/city that has lower standard living, $50k is pretty good already.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

^ we are talking about 2 different people in the world. People that work for others and people that work for themselves. Both have pros and cons. Many that are employed envy those that are self employed and vice versa. If you've only been on one side of the fence then the other sides lifestyle may seem intriguing. Self employed individuals pay for there own insurance and retirement by having there own set of rules and guidelines they set for themselves without having the worry of termination or being laid off. They are self accountable and failure all falls on their shoulders. Employed by LLCs and bigger corporations give you 401k, health, dental sometimes, even optical, and in some cases stock options, but you could get laid off and some superior always has the power to fire you. It's all based on choice of lifestyle, I just didn't appreciate the other guy taking it to another level by disgracing the people that have chosen that path (which I have not).

Last edited by shindo03; 10-16-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Actually, I think more than "few" people. You see, they have channels to sell like ebay, forum, card show and local customers. Are they going to make $100+k? Then maybe a few. But if we are talking $50k? I think it is very doable. And if you live in a state/city that has lower standard living, $50k is pretty good already.
50k is doable...100k is very hard...I don't know it's very subjective on what is "doing it for a living ." I mean not having a mattress living in a crap hole, sure doable lol. I get what you're saying and I agree.