Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Will Chris Webber make the basketball Hall of Fame?
Yes 84 66.67%
No 42 33.33%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondr91 View Post
I don't see Webber making the hall any more than Penny or Shawn Kemp. All great players, for a window of time....I will also say there are some guys who are in I think are questionable.
Penny? Really?

Dude has 10,000 points. Webber, as a PF, has more career assists then Hardaway.

Lets not insult Chris Webber.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Penny? Really?

Wow. Coming from an Ohio State fan.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

If it were the NBA HOF, then no. However, it's the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame and, for better or worse, they induct college players who have never played in the NBA (hence, their HOF worthiness is being based on four or so years).

Webber's body of work seems to meet the Basketball Hall standards. He was great in college; perhaps better in college than in the NBA.

This is why guys like Drazen Petrovic and Arvydas Sabonis are in the HOF; for their achievements outside the NBA. Although neither of those guys played American collegiate basketball, they were great in their respective countries; hence, their induction. Again, if it's the NBA HOF, then neither gets in.

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.
jrosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

That is for sure!!!

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

college stats/awards mean nothing unless you're a woman's player or coach. the HOF used to factor in college stats, but havn't done so in a very long time.

as for webber, he's one of those borderline guys, but i do think he'll get in eventually
coclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Penny? Really?

Slow it down....since you're mentioning career NBA points, how many does Bill Walton have? I did find it interesting ELO fan ratings (whatever the hell that is) has Webber ranked at #51 just behind Walton all time.

Last edited by Jasondr91; 10-23-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Jasondr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Slow it down....since you're mentioning career NBA points, how many does Bill Walton have? I did find it interesting ELO fan ratings (whatever the hell that is) has Webber ranked at #51 just behind Walton all time.
Exactly what is the correlation here? It's an absolutely awful comparison.

Webber and Hardaway came into the NBA at the same time and had roughly the same College level success (give or take) playing in the same era. Saying Webber and Penny were comparable in the Pros is ludicrous - not saying you did - but what I replied to. It's not Penny's fault he got hurt but the simple fact is that he did - same as Walton.

When Hardaway becomes the 3X College Player of the Year. 3X All American. 2 Time National Title winner then he can whine that he has more career points then Bill Walton in comparison to Webber.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

LOL of course he will. The HOF has players that aren't even on his level.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

[QUOTE=asujbl;8157826]Exactly what is the correlation here? It's an absolutely awful comparison.

Webber and Hardaway came into the NBA at the same time and had roughly the same College level success (give or take) playing in the same era. Saying Webber and Penny were comparable in the Pros is ludicrous - not saying you did - but what I replied to.[QUOTE]

The correlation is you specifically mentioning Penny's career points as being a negative against him making the hall, his number of career points being less than the career number of assist Webber had. I find this an unfair comparison as Webber's career had nearly 2 seasons more worth of games under his belt than Hardaway, especially when you consider Hardaway only played ONE NBA season of 82 games his entire career. Both were great players college AND pro, but I personally don't see Webber getting in. I do find it interesting if you just google this very topic, the links to articles from ESPN to bleacher report, many of them giving their opinions on Webber and him NOT being HOF worthy.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

voted yes......
Nyfancam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Jasondr91;8158370][QUOTE=asujbl;8157826]Exactly what is the correlation here? It's an absolutely awful comparison.

Webber and Hardaway came into the NBA at the same time and had roughly the same College level success (give or take) playing in the same era. Saying Webber and Penny were comparable in the Pros is ludicrous - not saying you did - but what I replied to.
Quote:

The correlation is you specifically mentioning Penny's career points as being a negative against him making the hall, his number of career points being less than the career number of assist Webber had. I find this an unfair comparison as Webber's career had nearly 2 seasons more worth of games under his belt than Hardaway, especially when you consider Hardaway only played ONE NBA season of 82 games his entire career. Both were great players college AND pro, but I personally don't see Webber getting in. I do find it interesting if you just google this very topic, the links to articles from ESPN to bleacher report, many of them giving their opinions on Webber and him NOT being HOF worthy.
Then you have a problem with the person that initially posted Webber, Penny, and Kemp together. Not me. So quote them.

What I said about Penny is totally relevant to the post that I quoted.

You're taking my replies out of context.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #37 (permalink)

If Ralph Sampson can get in no way that Webber gets left out.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
If Ralph Sampson can get in no way that Webber gets left out.
I can see the youth in you son. You're clueless.

Read up on Ralph.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
I can see the youth in you son. You're clueless.

Read up on Ralph.
I watched Ralph play in the NBA. Not that impressed with him. Oh yeah I know about his college career with UVA. If that's the case I will be ok with Sampson getting in right after Christian Laetttner gets in little brother.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

[QUOTE=asujbl;8158417][QUOTE=Jasondr91;8158370]
Quote:
Exactly what is the correlation here? It's an absolutely awful comparison.

Webber and Hardaway came into the NBA at the same time and had roughly the same College level success (give or take) playing in the same era. Saying Webber and Penny were comparable in the Pros is ludicrous - not saying you did - but what I replied to.

Then you have a problem with the person that initially posted Webber, Penny, and Kemp together. Not me. So quote them.

What I said about Penny is totally relevant to the post that I quoted.

You're taking my replies out of context.
I was the first to give an explanation to my opinion on Webber along with my vote. I stated he wouldn't get in any more than Penny or Kemp would. So...I have a problem with me? I stand by my comments. Webber, Penny and Kemp had windows in their pro careers where they played like HOF material. This was a small window for all three. If you consider college careers also like some players, then yes Penny and Webber get in. But their body of work in the NBA only, I personally don't consider them 1st ballot or even second year HOF guys....if they get in at all.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
I watched Ralph play in the NBA. Not that impressed with him. Oh yeah I know about his college career with UVA. If that's the case I will be ok with Sampson getting in right after Christian Laetttner gets in little brother.
You clearly have no clue about who Ralph Sampson is. I suggest you Google Sampson and Laettner and compare their two careers and you'll see how stupid your post is. I'll give you a hint, one was 3 time player of year in college and an Allstar every year he was healthy in the NBA.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

You hit everything on the head except for the "lucky shot", Horry was clutch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Loser vs the stacked lakers? You mean he lost due to rigged game? You mean he lost due to the lucky shot by Horry? You mean his career is lowlighted by his infamous timeout?

Come on. Can't be serious.
lindeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
You clearly have no clue about who Ralph Sampson is. I suggest you Google Sampson and Laettner and compare their two careers and you'll see how stupid your post is. I'll give you a hint, one was 3 time player of year in college and an Allstar every year he was healthy in the NBA.
I was around to watch Ralph Sampson play when he was in the leauge. He had a couple of good years I will give him that but no way does he deserve to be in the hall and I stand by what I post.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #44 (permalink)

Default W

[QUOTE=Jasondr91;8159445][QUOTE=asujbl;8158417]
Quote:

I was the first to give an explanation to my opinion on Webber along with my vote. I stated he wouldn't get in any more than Penny or Kemp would. So...I have a problem with me? I stand by my comments. Webber, Penny and Kemp had windows in their pro careers where they played like HOF material. This was a small window for all three. If you consider college careers also like some players, then yes Penny and Webber get in. But their body of work in the NBA only, I personally don't consider them 1st ballot or even second year HOF guys....if they get in at all.
Comparing Webber to Penny and Kemp is way off.

Kemp had about 7 decent years, and his BEST season was as good as Webbers 2nd year in the NBA.

Shawn Kemp NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Chris Webber NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Webber didn't have a window, he was 20 and 10 for his entire career with a bunch of assists and other stats also, on average teams that he took to their peaks.

I don't even need to consider his College career, C. Webb is in, hands down.

Through the 00s it was Duncan, KG and C. Webb as 4 men and the 1st 2 are locks for 1st ballot. C. Webb may not be 1st ballot, but 100% in.

Kemp not even close to C. Webb I'm afraid.

I'm so glad the votes spread out because last time I checked it was 20 - 18

I hate it when people compare a guy to past players and say if such and such is in, he'll get in, because it devalues the actual player. C. Webb is a HOFer, no need to look at who's in already. he'll be there someday
Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #45 (permalink)

[QUOTE=drobfan8;8161381][QUOTE=Jasondr91;8159445]
Quote:

Comparing Webber to Penny and Kemp is way off.

Kemp had about 7 decent years, and his BEST season was as good as Webbers 2nd year in the NBA.

Shawn Kemp NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Chris Webber NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Webber didn't have a window, he was 20 and 10 for his entire career with a bunch of assists and other stats also, on average teams that he took to their peaks.

I don't even need to consider his College career, C. Webb is in, hands down.

Through the 00s it was Duncan, KG and C. Webb as 4 men and the 1st 2 are locks for 1st ballot. C. Webb may not be 1st ballot, but 100% in.

Kemp not even close to C. Webb I'm afraid.

I'm so glad the votes spread out because last time I checked it was 20 - 18

I hate it when people compare a guy to past players and say if such and such is in, he'll get in, because it devalues the actual player. C. Webb is a HOFer, no need to look at who's in already. he'll be there someday

Obviously I'm not alone in thinking Webber isn't a sure shot HOF player....

Is Chris Webber a Hall of Famer? | Statitudes

Chris Webber: Hall-of-Famer? | Bleacher Report

Hall Of Fame Debate Heats Up For 2014 NBA.com | Hang Time Blog with Sekou Smith

To prove I'm not biased and dead set against Webber getting in....
Here's a good write up on Webber, saying eventually he gets in:
Breaking down the cases of three new candidates for the Basketball Hall of Fame - Point Forward - SI.com

Finally, I remember Webber at Michigan and fondly remember his early days in the NBA, thru his days wear the Kings were robbed by crap officiating. If he gets in or not bears nothing in my personal life or cardboard collecting. But to easily find articles debating Webber getting in as a 1st ballot, or in at all obviously proves there people in the sports world that feel equally on the fence of Webber getting in. I love passionate sports debates, and hopefully for Webber he gets in for his sake. I had absolutely NO IDEA he finished his career back in Golden State, playing 9 games for them.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
And unfortunately that was only 4 years. He couldn't even break 7500 career points and 5000 career rebounds. Good player when he was healthy but you can't base it on what he could have been had he been healthy.

Edit to add:
I imagine the next comparison would be bill walton, he did win 2 championships (integral part on both) and is one of the most decorated college players of all time. But I agree with anyone who says walton in the hall of fame is a tough choice.

funny video: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto

Last edited by clipperboy24; 10-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Loser vs the stacked lakers? You mean he lost due to rigged game? You mean he lost due to the lucky shot by Horry? You mean his career is lowlighted by his infamous timeout?

Come on. Can't be serious.
My point is the common perception is that he always lost. It's unfair, but some people just don't care. Some people rank Russell as the greatest Center because of the rings, when it should be so obvious Wilt is the guy, no matter how many times his team lost to Russell's.

Another example: the perception is Mitch Richmond is a fringe Hall of Famer and some think he doesn't belong, yet he's one of just 11 guys to average 20+ ppg in each of his first 10 NBA years; Iverson and Carmello are the only on the list not in the Hall. If you take away the paper title he got as a deep bench player for the Lakers his last year, or the Gold medal on Dream Team III, he'd probably still be outside the Hall because too many people remember him as never winning in Sacramento.

I think Webber is a Hall of Famer, but I can also see the voters waiting 5 to as many as 15 more years (depending on who else they want to elect) and holding the no championships/olympic medals against him to delay the process.
fezziwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
My point is the common perception is that he always lost. It's unfair, but some people just don't care. Some people rank Russell as the greatest Center because of the rings, when it should be so obvious Wilt is the guy, no matter how many times his team lost to Russell's.

Another example: the perception is Mitch Richmond is a fringe Hall of Famer and some think he doesn't belong, yet he's one of just 11 guys to average 20+ ppg in each of his first 10 NBA years; Iverson and Carmello are the only on the list not in the Hall. If you take away the paper title he got as a deep bench player for the Lakers his last year, or the Gold medal on Dream Team III, he'd probably still be outside the Hall because too many people remember him as never winning in Sacramento.

I think Webber is a Hall of Famer, but I can also see the voters waiting 5 to as many as 15 more years (depending on who else they want to elect) and holding the no championships/olympic medals against him to delay the process.
Great post and examples. Should Webber get in, I'd imagine it will take a few tries if he gets in at all.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
And unfortunately that was only 4 years. He couldn't even break 7500 career points and 5000 career rebounds. Good player when he was healthy but you can't base it on what he could have been had he been healthy.

Edit to add:
I imagine the next comparison would be bill walton, he did win 2 championships (integral part on both) and is one of the most decorated college players of all time. But I agree with anyone who says walton in the hall of fame is a tough choice.
Fortunately for Ralph Sampson, that is enough. This isn't the Baseball Hall of Fame where 10 years service is required to be eligible. Even, then Sandy Koufax was a 1st ballot HOFer based on 6 full seasons. Gale Sayers was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame based on 5 seasons. Joe Namath made it with mediocre credentials. Career ending/altering injuries are always a mitigating factor for electing players with lesser career stats.

Bill Walton is one of the most decorated college players and Ralph Sampson is not? Both are among only 4 players to be POY 3 times. Sampson is one of only 3 to also be an All Star his first 4 years in the NBA. Walton only scored 6215 points, so Sampson's 7039 are clearly enough for the HOF. He didn't win a championship, but he did get his team to the Finals by beating the defending champion Lakers. Championships are not needed to be in the HOF. Baylor, Barkley, Ewing, ect. If you didn't have players like Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson in the HOF, you might as well not have one. Clearly the electors saw Sampson as a HOFer when healthy and rightfully elected him to the HOF.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Fortunately for Ralph Sampson, that is enough. This isn't the Baseball Hall of Fame where 10 years service is required to be eligible. Even, then Sandy Koufax was a 1st ballot HOFer based on 6 full seasons. Gale Sayers was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame based on 5 seasons. Joe Namath made it with mediocre credentials. Career ending/altering injuries are always a mitigating factor for electing players with lesser career stats.

Bill Walton is one of the most decorated college players and Ralph Sampson is not? Both are among only 4 players to be POY 3 times. Sampson is one of only 3 to also be an All Star his first 4 years in the NBA. Walton only scored 6215 points, so Sampson's 7039 are clearly enough for the HOF. He didn't win a championship, but he did get his team to the Finals by beating the defending champion Lakers. Championships are not needed to be in the HOF. Baylor, Barkley, Ewing, ect. If you didn't have players like Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson in the HOF, you might as well not have one. Clearly the electors saw Sampson as a HOFer when healthy and rightfully elected him to the HOF.
Yes Sampson was a highly decorated college player also (never said he wasnt) but he also never won an NCAA title of which walton won 2. If I could vote walton MIGHT make it based on his heavy contributions to championship teams (both pro and college) but I wouldn't have selected Sampson. Again, that is just me.

funny video: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote