Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kobe wins MVP !!!

this is awesome...they finally treat him right for the first time. he deserves this no doubt.
UCLAalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Chris Paul and Lebron Got Robbed! lol

Just kidding, at least half kidding.

Anu of them could have won it!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

woooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! its about time!

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Funny how a winning season covers up what a J.O. this guy has been on and off the court for the past few years.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

So does the MVP award go to the best player in the NBA or to the player that, as the award names suggests, is the most valuable to his team?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
So does the MVP award go to the best player in the NBA or to the player that, as the award names suggests, is the most valuable to his team?
In this case, it's more of a "lifetime achievement award" to make up for him not getting it in past years moreso than him being either the best or most valuable player this year, which he wasn't.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

personally I belive Lebron was takin to the cleaners on this one. You take him off the Cavs and they probably finish close to the basement in regular season. Whereas Kobe has players surrounding him that could win without Kobe in the lineup....A very rediculous MVP if you ask me!!!!
miller45452003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

kobe doesn't shoot as much as lebron to begin with...he only takes over when the rest of the team can't contribute...see game 4 against the nuggets? that's a good example of many instances...he took over in 4th qtr when the team struggled...he stepped up to finish it off....that's what makes him valuable.
and don't forget, kobe has been playing with an injured finger since last year !!

kobe is the best player since jordan...he is as good as jordan !!

when was the last time you have a player where fans chant mvp to, wherever he goes, from the west coast to the east coast to europe and to asia???

its unanimous he is the best in the game today...and will go down in history as one of the top 3 (mj, KOBE, and wilt) of all time. at this point, lebron is not even in the top 10 of all time.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to arodfan17

how does chris paul not even really come up in this thread yet?
the guy is the definition of MVP both individually and for his team
arodfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodfan17 View Post
how does chris paul not even really come up in this thread yet?
the guy is the definition of MVP both individually and for his team
Agree 100% but you could make a valid argument for any of the others as well this year. Paul would be my choice. The best player in the game right now is easily Lebron - he's got Kobe in a majority of statistical catagories and bottom line is his basketball instincts are just sick. Kobe has to try to keep the rest of his team involved where as Lebron doesn't, it just happens through the natural flow of his game.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAalumni View Post
kobe doesn't shoot as much as lebron to begin with...he only takes over when the rest of the team can't contribute...see game 4 against the nuggets? that's a good example of many instances...he took over in 4th qtr when the team struggled...he stepped up to finish it off....that's what makes him valuable.
and don't forget, kobe has been playing with an injured finger since last year !!

kobe is the best player since jordan...he is as good as jordan !!

when was the last time you have a player where fans chant mvp to, wherever he goes, from the west coast to the east coast to europe and to asia???

its unanimous he is the best in the game today...and will go down in history as one of the top 3 (mj, KOBE, and wilt) of all time. at this point, lebron is not even in the top 10 of all time.
OMG do you kiss his poster over your bed every night ? Sorry but Kobe is not now, nor ever will be as good as Jordan and why would anyone even mention LeBron AND top 10 all-time in the same sentence after only 5 years ?

I guess Kobe "stepping up" this year late in games makes up for the year he just quit on his team in the 4th quarter of an elimination playoff game when he just pouted and kept passing the ball instead of "stepping up" ?

No doubt about it, Kobe is a great player but he's selfish and immature even after getting his way and breaking up a dynasty. If he got his way last year, Bynum and Odom would be gone and the Lakers would never have got off to the start they had. You see how much the guy he was crying for helped the Mavs. Bynum for Jason Kidd would have been a great deal for GM Kobe.

I don't know which towns chant MVP for Kobe ? Is it San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland ? Philly maybe ? NOPE He has family ties in Philly and still gets booed religiously every time he comes back. A few transplanted Laker fans or fans on a road trip chanting MVP isn't anything unheard of in other sports. Ryan Howard got the MVP chant last year in every town he went to by local fans or road-trippers.

Kobe isn't the MVP this year. He is the best all-around player in the NBA today at his position (Tim Duncan is the best playing the game) but he isn't the most valuable. Where would the Hornets be without Paul ?

Root for whoever you want to root for but please don't paint Kobe as some great player and person who is finally getting his due. Not everbody has selective memories on this board.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

UCLAalumni Quote ****its unanimous he is the best in the game today...and will go down in history as one of the top 3 (mj, KOBE, and wilt) of all time. at this point, lebron is not even in the top 10 of all time.****

Unanimous in your mind only..........
How could you ever and I repeat EVER list your top # of all time and FORGET one of the BEST EVER Bill Russell,of the Boston Celtics ???
I`d put Russell 3rd and Wilt Chamberlain not even in the first 5...
HOW many NBA Championships did Russell win 11 "Wilt" Chamberlain 2.
But then again you can not compare different area of basketball the game was way different back in the 1956-70.....Kobe has still to prove he belongs in the top 10 of all time..
Just my opinion
Peter
Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bambam, If everything you say is true, why are there so many actual Sports commentators and former players who say the opposite of your thread. You simply don't like him and that shouldn't take away from what he does as a player. There are many pro players I dislike as people, but I won't say there not awful good at what they do. I'm not going to argue with you about this, but how can so many other's say differently. I guess Sir Charles himself doesn't know much about Basketball.

I have to say that i'm sure sick of hearing that Shaq B.S

I will agree that Tim Duncan is one of the best also but not the best in the league. I myself would put Garnett ahead of Duncan.

Last edited by kobemagee29; 05-04-2008 at 02:22 PM.
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow there is a shocker - a 23 year old who has not even reached his prime years yet is not even in the top 10 of all time. Considering how statistically dominant Lebron's 1st five years have been over Kobe's, my guess is when Lebron reaches the same number of years in the league as Kobe currently has, Lebron will undisputably be consisdered the better all around player. Kobe is in his prime, playing great basketball, and deserves the MVP award as much as anyone BUT the award does nothing to take away from what Lebron has already accomplished at such a young age.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobemagee29 View Post
Bambam, If everything you say is true, why are there so many actual Sports commentators and former players who say the opposite of your thread. You simply don't like him and that shouldn't take away from what he does as a player. There are many pro players I dislike as people, but I won't say there not awful good at what they do. I'm not going to argue with you about this, but how can so many other's say differently. I guess Sir Charles himself doesn't know much about Basketball.

I have to say that i'm sure sick of hearing that Shaq B.S

I will agree that Tim Duncan is one of the best also but not the best in the league. I myself would put Garnett ahead of Duncan.
Did you really read my post ? What are you talking about ? Where in my thread did I say Kobe sucks as a player ? What in my thread isn't true or never happened that sportswriters and commentators could disagree with ? EVERYTHING in my thread happened and is fact except where I gave my opinion on Duncan and Paul.
IF YOUR GOING TO CALL ME OUT ABOUT A POST AT LEAST MAKE A VALID POINT AND LMK WHAT I PUT THAT WAS SO FICTICIOUS. I promise I won't go all Rabbit style on you. I just am lost at where you came up with that I'm taking away from him as a player

Old 05-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
No doubt about it, Kobe is a great player but he's selfish and immature even after getting his way and breaking up a dynasty.

Kobe isn't the MVP this year. He is the best all-around player in the NBA today at his position (Tim Duncan is the best playing the game) but he isn't the most valuable. Where would the Hornets be without Paul ?

Just figured I'd make it easy for you since you missed it the first time. "Kobe is a great player" and "Kobe is the best all-around player in the NBA today at his position"

Yeah with those statements I can see how I'm really slighting him as player because I think he's a J.O. of a person.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was just referring to your comments about comparing him to Jordan and your other post about him just being the best in the league at his postion.
Also about you saying he isn't the MVP.
Heck, he didn't even win the MVP yet. I don't think anybody has yet.
No big deal Bambam

Last edited by kobemagee29; 05-04-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
OMG do you kiss his poster over your bed every night ? Sorry but Kobe is not now, nor ever will be as good as Jordan and why would anyone even mention LeBron AND top 10 all-time in the same sentence after only 5 years ?

I guess Kobe "stepping up" this year late in games makes up for the year he just quit on his team in the 4th quarter of an elimination playoff game when he just pouted and kept passing the ball instead of "stepping up" ?

No doubt about it, Kobe is a great player but he's selfish and immature even after getting his way and breaking up a dynasty. If he got his way last year, Bynum and Odom would be gone and the Lakers would never have got off to the start they had. You see how much the guy he was crying for helped the Mavs. Bynum for Jason Kidd would have been a great deal for GM Kobe.

I don't know which towns chant MVP for Kobe ? Is it San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland ? Philly maybe ? NOPE He has family ties in Philly and still gets booed religiously every time he comes back. A few transplanted Laker fans or fans on a road trip chanting MVP isn't anything unheard of in other sports. Ryan Howard got the MVP chant last year in every town he went to by local fans or road-trippers.

Root for whoever you want to root for but please don't paint Kobe as some great player and person who is finally getting his due. Not everbody has selective memories on this board.
I was just getting ready to spend ten minutes explaining why Bryant is a great talent but still a loser as a teammate and person, but I see I don't have to! Thanks Bam - I agree with every word of this post.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

A couple of my key criteria for who is an MVP-caliber player, which obviously helps support the discussion of who is the greatest player of all-time...
  • This person makes players around him/her better
  • This person's team normally exceeds expectations
  • This person has the ability to will his team to victory almost single-handedly
  • This person will never quit on his team or mentally bail when the going gets tough
Sorry, Kobe only makes one of the above criteria, and is an absolute NO on the other 3. GREAT players are ALL OF THE ABOVE, PERIOD.

I do believe he's one of the greatest TALENTS of all time (top 5 easily), one of the greatest PLAYERS...not close. Talent takes Heart, Soul & Commitment mixed in to make a PLAYER. Sorry...he's never been close to those other areas...

LeBron's first 5 years compared to Kobe's first 5??? Give me a break - LeBron is absolutely on track to leave NBA fans saying "Kobe-who?"

Did I mention what a loser of a person he is? No, I didn't - it wasn't even necessary to define where he stands in this discussion.
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

1 out of your 4. come on.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

The dude knows nothing about the lakers or kobe or even basketball...he's simply a hater...
i can easily bring a few examples that otherwise counter all these misjudgments of kobe...but need not bother...he's simply a hater...not speaking of facts...just a bunch of bs assertions...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
The dude knows nothing about the lakers or kobe or even basketball...he's simply a hater...
i can easily bring a few examples that otherwise counter all these misjudgments of kobe...but need not bother...he's simply a hater...not speaking of facts...just a bunch of bs assertions...
LOL - - this coming from the best "predictor" in sports history.

kramers -- couldn't agree more with what you said.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

so hey, is he going to be named mvp or what? because i put up a manufactured patch of his from premier for a one day auction after reading a report he was supposed to be named today lol.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
LOL - - this coming from the best "predictor" in sports history.

kramers -- couldn't agree more with what you said.
i don't need to be a good sports predictor...its just entertainment...not the most important thing in life...
as long as i keep my winning streak going in the stock market, that's more important...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
i don't need to be a good sports predictor...its just entertainment...not the most important thing in life...
as long as i keep my winning streak going in the stock market, that's more important...
I know -- I was just needling you. It's fun ya know.