Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question jerseys/patches question

So I just started busting boxes and collecting this past March, pretty new to it. I am curious as to how they have Patrick Ewing or Kareem or Robert Parrish, etc old school / legends "game-worn" memorabilia? Do companies like UD and Panini grab them from years and and just store those old uniforms in a warehouse somewhere and cut one up into a thousand pieces every few months? How authentic is it from like 20+, 30+ years ago?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are auctions all the time for older jerseys, I'm sure they get them from reputable sources/collections.
byronscott4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Or they may just go pick up a few at Champs or Foot Locker and slap them in the cards! We may never know

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/duplechien
duplechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

yea that's what i assume, when they still have like Joe Montana or Gale Sayers patches, and in football they only play 16 games a year... 20+ years ago... at least basketball has 82 games so you could have jerseys to cut up, but 16 games, hmm
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
yea that's what i assume, when they still have like Joe Montana or Gale Sayers patches, and in football they only play 16 games a year... 20+ years ago... at least basketball has 82 games so you could have jerseys to cut up, but 16 games, hmm
Montana played for 16 years, new jersey each game would make like 250 Montana jerseys out there. Add in Pre & Post season games, maybe a Pro Bowl or 8 (all can be considered "Game-Used") and thats a bunch of jerseys out there. Figuring in the thousands of swatches coming off of each one. Depending on how many products they include him in you can gets a few years out of one jersey by making cards.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Montana played for 16 years, new jersey each game would make like 250 Montana jerseys out there. Add in Pre & Post season games, maybe a Pro Bowl or 8 (all can be considered "Game-Used") and thats a bunch of jerseys out there. Figuring in the thousands of swatches coming off of each one. Depending on how many products they include him in you can gets a few years out of one jersey by making cards.
interesting theory... so I'm supposed to believe that if player played 1,000 games, that means Panini and Topps and UD have 1,000 jerseys from that one player? So I assume they dont get to keep any personal (highest scoring game or last game with a certain team, etc) or like wear again or give to fans/family or shops or displays, shows, exhibitions for sporting events or conventions i guess ALL bill russell jerseys from 40-50 years ago are still in Mint condition somewhere
Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
interesting theory... so I'm supposed to believe that if player played 1,000 games, that means Panini and Topps and UD have 1,000 jerseys from that one player? So I assume they dont get to keep any personal (highest scoring game or last game with a certain team, etc) or like wear again or give to fans/family or shops or displays, shows, exhibitions for sporting events or conventions i guess ALL bill russell jerseys from 40-50 years ago are still in Mint condition somewhere

Ummmm.... I dont see where you get that from my statement. Do you think it takes 1 entire jersey to make a card? I said you can get a thousand jersey "Swatches" from 1 entire jersey. So the card manufacturers would only need 1 jersey and that could get them through a few seasons depending on how many cards they make of that player. So even if they get to keep whatever jerseys they want, or give them away to fans etc. All it takes is 1 jersey to make a TON of cards. I am sorry if you do not comprehend basic math, but please do not try to insult me. As far as old jerseys being mint, do you think Bill Russell wore his out to the bar and played in the mud wearing it after a game? Or do you think he just sweated in it, had it washed and it ended up in a card years later.

I understand you are new to the hobby. And I am not trying to defend card companies that put their COA's on the back of every memorabilia card they make. But if you dont want to believe that these cards are Game-Used maybe you should collect comics or something. Why buy something you think is fake?

Last edited by Grid; 08-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Since I like teaching math on the boards, figure an average jersey is 2' X 3' to be fair. You can get 144 1" Swatches/Patches out of just a 1' X 1' piece of jersey. Thats over 1,700 swatches per jersey. Figure in your jumbo swatches or nameplates and we'll say 1500 Game-Used cards can come off a jersey. UD put out 20 different Jordan Game-Used cards numbered to 50 each on average (some /99 some /1 or some /75 some /25, you get the picture) thats still only 1/2 a jersey used in an entire season's worth of cards. Now you can see why card companies do not need 1,000 jerseys of each and every player used in their products.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

ahh i see i see, everyone thanks. I wasnt try to be insulting; i am simply confused and somewhat skeptical. although with someone like kobe for Panini, there is a lot more pieces of jerseys than jordan in a UD product and a lot more than just small squares. Also, if anyone has noticed, they must have cut up several jerseys for the RPAs for NT... just check out all the ones of blake griffin or stephen curry, and you can see the amount of letters and logos that are in those. no way that is from even as little as 3 jerseys. those NT RPAs are HUUGE and they're all like legit from logo/name
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
ahh i see i see, everyone thanks. I wasnt try to be insulting; i am simply confused and somewhat skeptical. although with someone like kobe for Panini, there is a lot more pieces of jerseys than jordan in a UD product and a lot more than just small squares. Also, if anyone has noticed, they must have cut up several jerseys for the RPAs for NT... just check out all the ones of blake griffin or stephen curry, and you can see the amount of letters and logos that are in those. no way that is from even as little as 3 jerseys. those NT RPAs are HUUGE and they're all like legit from logo/name

Since we are friends again, I'll answer this one for you as well. All the card companies bring dozens of jerseys for each player to put on for a few minutes or less. It only cost them whatever a jersey goes for at the time. $100.00 each if you buy them in bulk I would guess. So after the Premiere they go home with a hundreds of rookie worn jerseys to cut up. Thats why all products, football too, are so rookie memorabilia heavy. They are cheap and plentiful. I think its a cop out when the companies use these same jerseys after the rookie season and call them "Flashbacks" or something.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
And that is why NT (and similar high-end products) are so expensive.

It's not rocket science. And yes, you are indeed skeptical. I'd hate to be like that (no offense, just saying).
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

hahah well that all explains a lot, the both of you, thanks. as much as i dislike Panini for the sticker autos and the fact taht kobe is the only 'superstar' spokesman and the repetitive r&s/threads/studio/prestige, etc., i do like some of their themes. for example, from Timeless Treasures, I just pulled a Garnett rookie year material patch /25, and so was curious as to how they still had jerseys that old and specifically from that year. but I agree the 'flashback' or like "sophomore smething something' those really are like cop-outs. also, for all the skepticism, i have still consistently bought a box 7-10 days just to feed my addiction :P
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
hahah well that all explains a lot, the both of you, thanks. as much as i dislike Panini for the sticker autos and the fact taht kobe is the only 'superstar' spokesman and the repetitive r&s/threads/studio/prestige, etc., i do like some of their themes. for example, from Timeless Treasures, I just pulled a Garnett rookie year material patch /25, and so was curious as to how they still had jerseys that old and specifically from that year. but I agree the 'flashback' or like "sophomore smething something' those really are like cop-outs. also, for all the skepticism, i have still consistently bought a box 7-10 days just to feed my addiction :P
Dont worry my friend, this addiction will only get worse with time! Good luck on the collection
Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
also, for all the skepticism, i have still consistently bought a box 7-10 days just to feed my addiction :P
Just imagine if you were a "glass half full" kind of guy - you'd be broke

In all seriousness, there's nothing wrong with being slightly skeptical about the authenticity of the jerseys. Panini have actually fuelled some skepticism in me with their wording on the back of jersey cards: "Panini guarantees the jersey featured on this card". Wtf does that mean? It's like they missed out the words "....was worn in an NBA game by the player featured on this card" or something.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to boombaby_rm31

for the rookies in NT theres a /5 colossal logoman, colossal logoman auto /5, nba logoman /5(some are /1), nba logoman auto /5(some are /1) and the true rc logoman/1

in absolute theres a /1 rc auto logoman, and a /1 rc logoman

so probably they used around 23 jerseys for the rookies

the laundry tags, team logo, etc were used in timeless treasures and absolute

@boombaby_rm31
boombaby_rm31 is offline   Reply With Quote