Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 408
Default Anyone watched KOBE the last few games?

nobody currently in the league can ever do most of the things kobe can...sports analysts and nba stars are starting to mention kobe and mj in the same sentence...
UCLAalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massillon Ohio
Posts: 1,074
Default

Yeah that he carries MJ's gym bag during pick up games
sandlotsportcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Vintage Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,125
Default

They better hold off a bit with the Kobe/MJ comparison.

Let him win a few more MVP and Championships. Easier said than done.
__________________
Vintage Collector's Ebay ID is - Mitcards
All ebay auctions starting at 99 cents no reserve.
I will also buy or trade My Cards for your Silver or Gold!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Vintage Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,125
Default

Copied this off Denny Something from another forum but it pretty much says it all:

Kobe's a 22PPG career playoff scorer. Jordan averaged 33.4PPG for his career in the playoffs.

Jordan put up 32.4 PPG in 21 playoff games at the age of 34. Heck, Jordan was a top 15 player in the NBA with the Wizards at the age of 40.

Kobe still can't do what Jordan could do as a rookie and 2nd year player. Look at what Jordan singlehandedly did to the Celtics in the playoffs - 63 points against triple teams, often scoring against all 5 Celtics trying to defend him on a single play.

Jordan's game evolved as he grew as a player. Kobe looks like the same player he's been for years. Time will tell if Kobe can adjust and play at a high level well into his 30s.

Jordan turned himself into an effective power forward late in his career, scoring from the post with his back to the basket on play after play. Just when you thought you saw it all, he'd go nail 6 straight 3 pointers.

Jordan won 5 MVPs, 6 NBA titles, and led his team to near back-to-back 70 win seasons.
Jordan is 3rd lifetime in total points scored, Kobe hasn't broken the top 20 yet.

Kobe's 81 points in a game is an outstanding achievement. He scored 50 points in a game 23 times in his career. Jordan only scored 69 as his best and 50 points over 30 times. Kobe might catch him on that score.

Kobe's not done yet, that's for sure. The Lakers still have to prove they can win a championship with this current roster, let alone win 3 more to match Jordan's totals.

Kobe's career stats:
25 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 4.6 APG

Jordan's career stats:
30.1 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.3 APG

No Comparison, yet!!!
__________________
Vintage Collector's Ebay ID is - Mitcards
All ebay auctions starting at 99 cents no reserve.
I will also buy or trade My Cards for your Silver or Gold!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,442
Default

VC,
as much as I would love to agree with you I cant.. We all hate Kobe because he is a ja person and a bad teammate but his skills are just as good if not better than Jordan. You can not compare career stats because Kobe came right out of HS so you have to take out his first 3 yrs to make that arguement because was nothing more than a role player where jordan came out and was a superstar because of his days at UNC. but how dumb does Charolette look for trading Kobe... God how things would be so different.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blowout Forums
Posts: 2,155
Send a message via AIM to sblez
Default

KObe should be mentioned in the same sentence as Michael JOrdan. IF he wins the championship this year he will have 4 rings. Besides the spurs and a few others who was four rings? He is considered the best player in the Nba now for a few years and he is in his prime right now. He will get a couple more rings and then you have to compare him to jordan.
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
csun22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
Copied this off Denny Something from another forum but it pretty much says it all:

Kobe's a 22PPG career playoff scorer. Jordan averaged 33.4PPG for his career in the playoffs.

Jordan put up 32.4 PPG in 21 playoff games at the age of 34. Heck, Jordan was a top 15 player in the NBA with the Wizards at the age of 40.

Kobe still can't do what Jordan could do as a rookie and 2nd year player. Look at what Jordan singlehandedly did to the Celtics in the playoffs - 63 points against triple teams, often scoring against all 5 Celtics trying to defend him on a single play.

Jordan's game evolved as he grew as a player. Kobe looks like the same player he's been for years. Time will tell if Kobe can adjust and play at a high level well into his 30s.

Jordan turned himself into an effective power forward late in his career, scoring from the post with his back to the basket on play after play. Just when you thought you saw it all, he'd go nail 6 straight 3 pointers.

Jordan won 5 MVPs, 6 NBA titles, and led his team to near back-to-back 70 win seasons.
Jordan is 3rd lifetime in total points scored, Kobe hasn't broken the top 20 yet.

Kobe's 81 points in a game is an outstanding achievement. He scored 50 points in a game 23 times in his career. Jordan only scored 69 as his best and 50 points over 30 times. Kobe might catch him on that score.

Kobe's not done yet, that's for sure. The Lakers still have to prove they can win a championship with this current roster, let alone win 3 more to match Jordan's totals.

Kobe's career stats:
25 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 4.6 APG

Jordan's career stats:
30.1 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.3 APG

No Comparison, yet!!!

Well quoted VC. I am so tired of hearing the MJ comparison. He isn't and never will be MJ and vice versa, no one is or ever will be Kobe......but if there are going to be comparisons, Kobe still has quite a ways to go before he's on the same level as MJ.
csun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
deuxmachinax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 841
Default

Shouldn't be compared I think. But IMHO Jordan was playing in an era where the NBA was easier than what it is today.

In the present, you could play the team with the worst record and still end up playing players like Dwayne Wade.
__________________
Currently buying/trading for:

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

For starters...one year ago today EXACTLY, Kobe said...

TRADE ME
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Secondly, Kobe has 3 rings right now....

If I was the starting point guard on a team with Shaq as the starting center IN HIS PRIME, I'd have 3 rings right now.
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Lastly...why does Kobe have the POSSIBILITY of winning a 4th ring?

Because the guys he wanted off the team (specifically, Odom & Bynum) have blossomed this year.

Oh yeah - and they got one of the best 3 centers in the NBA for a dozen doughnuts...

Great quote from Kobe after the game - something along the lines of letting the young guys mature and develop - the same young guys that caused him to want to be off the team.
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

I'm POST-PADDING!!!!

My last thought - EASILY top-5 talent all-time...but if I were starting an NBA team today and had my pick of CURRENT players, it would be quite awhile before I got to Kobe.

LeBron on that team - absolute "LOCK" to win the title. Kobe...will be interesting with either Boston or Detroit. Is a one-man show plus a 4-man show enough?

C'mon (a) you guys from LA, (b) who have "Kobe" in your screen name or (c) are too young to know what REAL NBA Talent is, or more importantly "TEAMWORK" ... His "ME" attitude is somewhat neutralized because so much of the NBA has reverted to a selfish style of basketball that was not around in the "good old days"!!!

He's a terrible teammate (on and off the court - doesn't make anybody better IMHO "ON" the court) and his teams win in spite of him, not BECAUSE of him

Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"...
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
csun22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekramers5 View Post
I'm POST-PADDING!!!!

My last thought - EASILY top-5 talent all-time...but if I were starting an NBA team today and had my pick of CURRENT players, it would be quite awhile before I got to Kobe.

LeBron on that team - absolute "LOCK" to win the title. Kobe...will be interesting with either Boston or Detroit. Is a one-man show plus a 4-man show enough?

C'mon (a) you guys from LA, (b) who have "Kobe" in your screen name or (c) are too young to know what REAL NBA Talent is, or more importantly "TEAMWORK" ... His "ME" attitude is somewhat neutralized because so much of the NBA has reverted to a selfish style of basketball that was not around in the "good old days"!!!

He's a terrible teammate (on and off the court - doesn't make anybody better IMHO "ON" the court) and his teams win in spite of him, not BECAUSE of him

Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"... Ko"ME"...
I guess only "a" applies to me

I love the Lakers......but not Kobe. Am I happy he's on the team? he's a great player, but definitely not my favorite....not even close...

Would I go out and buy his jersey to wear around town? not in a million years....

Would I be upset if he had left the Lakers? probably not.....

I was happy to see Shaq go when he did after some of the crap he pulled towards the end of his Lakers day
csun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblez View Post
KObe should be mentioned in the same sentence as Michael JOrdan. IF he wins the championship this year he will have 4 rings. Besides the spurs and a few others who was four rings?
Derek Fisher. Does that make him the next MJ?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,048
Default

Let's face it, Bryant has three rings because of Shaq. No one talks about how Scottie Pippen has all the rings. Because everyone knows he has them because of MJ. Bryant has his three rings b/c of Shaq -- plain and simple.

I loved how Bryant last night on offense just pushed Bowen (and the usual no-call of course since the officials get so tired of his whining and berating them over every foul he commits actually being called). Anyway, the push on Bowen is a microcosm of all things Bryant: if I don't get my way, I will throw some sort of temper tantrum. (pushing, whining to be traded, arguing with officials instead of playing defense, raping a woman when she said no, etc.)

Biggest LOSER in all of sports when taken as a complete package.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Let's face it, Bryant has three rings because of Shaq. No one talks about how Scottie Pippen has all the rings. Because everyone knows he has them because of MJ. Bryant has his three rings b/c of Shaq -- plain and simple.

I loved how Bryant last night on offense just pushed Bowen (and the usual no-call of course since the officials get so tired of his whining and berating them over every foul he commits actually being called). Anyway, the push on Bowen is a microcosm of all things Bryant: if I don't get my way, I will throw some sort of temper tantrum. (pushing, whining to be traded, arguing with officials instead of playing defense, raping a woman when she said no, etc.)

Biggest LOSER in all of sports when taken as a complete package.
Great call Tim...

Good way to sum up Ko"ME" in a nutshell - on and off the court.
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
kobemagee29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rockford
Posts: 2,290
Default

Tim and Kramers, I hope someday I might be able to meet Kobe myself so I can get to know him as well as you two guys seem to.
Are there any other things you can tell us that we don't know.
Sure gets old listening to both of your 2 cents of B.S about him.
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
arodfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 604
Send a message via AIM to arodfan17
Default

no offense but part of the reason they don't really take what you say seriously is becuase it would be like me defending arod (ie the name in your screen name). Obviously we are biased towards that player (although arod need no defending he's amazing) but if you think kobe is on the same level as mj, I htink you are krazy...
arodfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobemagee29 View Post
Tim and Kramers, I hope someday I might be able to meet Kobe myself so I can get to know him as well as you two guys seem to.
Are there any other things you can tell us that we don't know.
Sure gets old listening to both of your 2 cents of B.S about him.
Do you live on a secluded island or in a bubble? Because you obviously have no access to the internet or a sports page to read about the FACTS of what he says and does.

Do you watch many games that he plays in and see HOW IN ANY WAY he makes the players on the team better?? Or...do you only watch Lakers games and don't realize what a REAL team player plays/looks like?

Like I said - his talent is matched by only one current NBA player (LeBron), but it is talent alone and 00000000.000000000 about teamwork.

My 5-year old even said last night - "that boy's pretty good - but does he give the ball to the other boys?" A freakin' 5-year old can see that ...

I don't need to let you know anything else about him - he's such an open book and let's the entire world know about what a QUALITY PERSON he is.

I've liked "bad boys" in my sporting life ... but I'm the first to admit who and what they are.

If you REALLY think Kobe is a stand-up person and a good team-player ... I'm very sorry....VERY SORRY!!
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodfan17 View Post
no offense but part of the reason they don't really take what you say seriously is becuase it would be like me defending arod (ie the name in your screen name). Obviously we are biased towards that player (although arod need no defending he's amazing) but if you think kobe is on the same level as mj, I htink you are krazy...
Not to hijack the thread...but if A-Rod didn't get the $250 million contract, there wouldn't be so much negative written about him. Of course, he got $25 million a year at a time when Manny got $20 million a year (and Manny was a horrible defensive player and A-Rod was the best fielding SS in the game). And A-Rod was a much better offensive player AT THAT TIME. Manny was ridiculously overpaid at that time, but for some reason A-Rod was the lightning rod.

So he has cratered in the playoffs a couple years - YES, he has. But, there is not one single player in baseball who can single-handedly help his team get to the playoffs more than A-Rod was capable of for most of those years. (as an aside, Utley is the current all-around complete player, IMHO) Babe Ruth could have played on the Rangers teams that A-Rod played on - and still, NO PLAYOFFS.

Problem is, for most fans who have never played baseball, they don't understand that Baseball is the one sport where if you take the hands-down best player (A-Rod for MANY years), there is absolutely no guarantee that their team will make the playoffs. In basketball or football (as long as QB or RB), that team WILL make the playoffs (Barry Sanders in Detroit, for example).
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,247
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Kobe is a better pure shooter, also they try and play Defense in the NBA nowadays
fm8418 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Kobe is a better pure shooter, also they try and play Defense in the NBA nowadays
Agreed - Kobe is one of the best defenders in the NBA...when he wants to be. Ko"ME" ... Ko"ME" ... Ko"ME" ...
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,247
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

I meant teams play better defense now(or teams suck at shooting), not Kobe himself. the scores were regularly in the 120's , now there happy to crack 100.
fm8418 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
VC,
but how dumb does Charolette look for trading Kobe... God how things would be so different.
Maybe their dumb for drafting him but not for trading him. Remember WHY the traded him ? Thats right... because he cried and whined that he didn't want to play for them and that he would never sign, just sit out until he could re-enter the draft. Yet another great moment of class and character in his storied career.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.