Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: What serial # cards do you consider rare?
# to 999 0 0%
# to 500 0 0%
# to 200 0 0%
# to 100 or less 34 100.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to collect?

I'm trying to decide on what serial # cards I should collect? I was going for the more rare cards. What would you all consider rare?

# to 500?
# to 200?
# to 100 or less?

Also, should I keep those type of cards that have (001 of ###) or the last number in the print run (example 500 of 500)? I know some people like trying to get the jersey # serial # of the player.

So, I was wondering what y'alls opinion on this?

(Collecting All Spurs Cards That Are ≤ /25 & RCs)
TMakAct7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rare for me would be #ed to like 5 or less.
bballcardheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcardheaven View Post
Rare for me would be #ed to like 5 or less.
Well not everyone can afford to collect 1/1 sets!!! but seriously for me, /10 or less is good for autos or jersey/patch autos, logoman, etc. /25 for patches isnt bad, since the patches within those 25 cards would be different where as an autograph would all be the same in that set
Old 08-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

It really depends on who the player is.

If its kobe or another superstar where a lot of people collect him, i'd say /100 is fairly rare. I know the prices don't always reflect that but you know there are atleast 100 people that supercollect Kobe.
Boondox_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, what are y'alls opinions on cards that are the first or last in the print run? Are they worth keeping?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMakAct7 View Post
Well, what are y'alls opinions on cards that are the first or last in the print run? Are they worth keeping?
Yes, & if the # matches the players jersey
|__...__...__________|_|__|__|..,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)********(@)
SelfDestruct808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I suppose a card with lower numbering would be more rare than a card with higher numbering. Or am I looking at this too simply?

Jersey numbers are probably the most significant of the numbered cards to get. First and last cards really have no meaning for me.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
I suppose a card with lower numbering would be more rare than a card with higher numbering. Or am I looking at this too simply?

Jersey numbers are probably the most significant of the numbered cards to get. First and last cards really have no meaning for me.
What???

In my opinion jersey #'d cards are unique to some but they are not '1/1''s no matter how you look at it.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcardheaven View Post
What???

In my opinion jersey #'d cards are unique to some but they are not '1/1''s no matter how you look at it.
The OP asked what was rare, 999 all the way down to 100. Isn't that kind of a simple answer. The lower the numbering, the more rare it is. A 1 of 1 is pretty much as rare as it gets.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
The OP asked what was rare, 999 all the way down to 100. Isn't that kind of a simple answer. The lower the numbering, the more rare it is. A 1 of 1 is pretty much as rare as it gets.
Yeah I thought you were saying if a card is numbered like 3/100 it is rarer than 87/100 which is why I was confused... my bad lol.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

personally, I find it odd that first card printed or last card printed or jersey #s are significant... i mean, in that sense, EVERY card with a serial number is a 1/1 because it's the only one with that #. but since people like that sort of thing, i list items on ebay saying it's 1/1 because that's what buyers are looking for. but i certainly would NOT pay a premium if the card is # 1/10, 3/10, 10/10 , etc. it's all the same to me. just as nice of a card & just as rare
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
personally, I find it odd that first card printed or last card printed or jersey #s are significant... i mean, in that sense, EVERY card with a serial number is a 1/1 because it's the only one with that #. but since people like that sort of thing, i list items on ebay saying it's 1/1 because that's what buyers are looking for. but i certainly would NOT pay a premium if the card is # 1/10, 3/10, 10/10 , etc. it's all the same to me. just as nice of a card & just as rare
Yeah, for me "special" serial numbers aren't something I personally care about or would pay extra for, but it's nice to pull them since they will bring some extra money if it's a card I'm not keeping.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

in my pc i try to stay at /50 and lower

the lower the numbering the beter the patch (shoukld be at least lol)

like this one

3/3

Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

this question doesn't make any sense
patchgenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
in my pc i try to stay at /50 and lower

the lower the numbering the beter the patch (shoukld be at least lol)

like this one

3/3

army, i hate the lakers but that octo-patch is INSANE! you shoulda put that in your youtube vid of TOP 10 PC bball!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's an opinion question. It's not hard to answer. What do you, the collector, consider rare (to you)? Since they make thousands of base and insert cards. Having a card that is less than 500 is rare, but not as rare as something numbered to 50, and 1/1 are the cream of the crop. So, as a collector collecting cards, what do you consider rare enough to collect? Don't bust a brain cell trying to answer this, please. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchgenie View Post
this question doesn't make any sense

Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMakAct7 View Post
It's an opinion question. It's not hard to answer. What do you, the collector, consider rare (to you)? Since they make thousands of base and insert cards. Having a card that is less than 500 is rare, but not as rare as something numbered to 50, and 1/1 are the cream of the crop. So, as a collector collecting cards, what do you consider rare enough to collect? Don't bust a brain cell trying to answer this, please. Thank you.
this is the dumbest thread i've read this year. No duh lower numbered cards are more rare anyone can figure it out; that's why the thread shouldn't have even been started in the first place.

Last edited by patchgenie; 08-29-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: -
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well, to some collectors, getting a card that is serial # to 999 is the coolest thing ever, and will forever be a part of their PC. Other collectors might just want to keep the cards numbered to 50, and throw the card that is numbered to 999 in a pile of base cards. This is why the question is asking collectors opinions on what they consider rare. I'm not asking what is rare? Everyone can figure that out. So, it really depends on the collector. I put the question out there to find out what other collectors thoughts were, that's it. As I said before, don't bust a brain cell trying to answer this question. It's not rocket science. It's a opinion question. Thank you.

Quote:
this is the dumbest thread i've read this year. No duh lower numbered cards are more rare anyone can figure it out; that's why the thread shouldn't have even been started in the first place.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Whats sad is that in this day of collecting, something #'ed out of 100 is not very rare, yet back in the early 90's if you pulled a Classic insert numbered "1 of 125,000" you really thought you had something. Personally, anything under 25 is good enough for me, unless its Panini of course

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/duplechien
duplechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

you should collect cards to 10000. they're rare
Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

For a card to be Rare, Id say about /5 or less than 10 made, anyways. I collect Jonny Flynn and have seen some of his cards #/10 and have seen 5 differnt ones of them. So in my mind, those cards /10 arent Rare. Cause I see them all the time. but some cards /5 I havent even seen yet . Even though I have more 1/1 J.Flynn than I know what to do with. But their are some oddball cards /5 that just dont pop up. In fact theirs a Flynn /300 I havent even seen yet (prestige Bouns shots Orange).
Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Trying to poke fun at me and this this post is very uncalled for. This is a site for collectors to communicate with other collectors about the hobby we all enjoy. If you want to go bash on someone, then go bash on someone who cares. As I stated before, this is a opinion question and post. I'm just curious on other collectors opinions. That's all. Thank you.

Quote:
you should collect cards to 10000. they're rare