Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 09/10 National Treasures a good buy?

Hello all, I'm not new to the hobby, but new to this forum! I collect strictly basketball and D Rose is my main, followed up with E Gordon and soon John Wall. My last case purchase was UD Exquisite. I wasn't a big fan of Panini at all, but have been very impressed with NT. Looking to see if the value of cards received is worth the 400.00 investement....let me know your thoughts!
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's been out for a few weeks already so some of the hype has died down. But it still looks like it's selling on eBay. NT might stay that way until the first 10/11 product, which I believe is Sept 29th with Prestige?

$400 per box is high. I'm not sure I'd do it. Some boxes don't have nice hits in them, so maybe you need to get 2-4 boxes to really have a chance at some nice case hits. But then your cost is higher.

But the product is so amazing and so cool, if you really want to open something nice, I say go for it. Odds are you won't make your money back, but what the hey, that rarely happens when opening boxes. I still think NT gives you a better shot at a profit than most other products.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

in a word...

No

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Laila Ali
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

stick to singles, if your a gambler then get a box. But dont expect to get your money back
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for all the replies!!! I wouldn't mind cracking one open, but I may stick to just getting the single RPA's.
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I spent $730 on two boxes over the weekend. I opened them and one box I loss about $240 when I resell it, and the other box will probably make me about $180....(net loss of $60) so the bottom line is, if you like cracking then do it... It doesn't hurt that bad with only one boxes. If you want a nice RAP, the just go buy it... simple enough??
wegoingsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

i think it depends on what you are looking at getting. let's say that you want a curry rpa. for about the same price as a box (maybe another $100 on top), you can just pick one up on ebay provided that there's some available. if you're shooting for a logoman, than i'd say you should take your chances and crack some wax. gl either way.
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

i def say YESSS altho maybe wait til it drops from 400. for those ppl who said you cant really make your money back in these boxes, umm you cant make money back in most box from most products. The difference in NT besides quality of cards is the actual value. Even though you might lose some, you still won't lose as much as if you were to open, say court kings or crown royale, percentage wise, and the odds are certainly better than all other NBA products this year to actually make your money back plus some
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

National Treasures = Best High End Product of 09/10 for Basketball

With UD gone this is the product to have. I agree with the poster above. If there is a certain RPA you want buy it on ebay and pay the premium vs the box, but if you like busting boxes, this is the one you want.
Thunderdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again for all the comments! I was a huge UD fan....primarily Exquisite, and until NT, I was extremely disappointed with Panini....but NT does seem to be their closest answer to a high end product like Exquisite...huge patches for the Rookies, and nice on card autos....think I'll buy a single or two, and try my luck at ONE box...just to satisfy my craving....
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Simply because Panini overproduced nearly everything in this product (except for RPA's), most of the stuff will drop in values. Some Rookies have 15+ Logomen in this product and once collectors get the amount they want the rest will sell like dirt. The fact that you can pick up a Brandon Jennings Auto Dual Patch out of his best Rookie Year product for $40 scares me.
bballcardheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ill agree with this. RPA are where its at with only the #99, #25 #5 and #1. Only 130 RC's per player with some SICK patches. Plus the draft class from 09/10 is pretty darn good. I think the RC's will continue to climb once people realize how nice this product is and they have no other alternative from UD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcardheaven View Post
Simply because Panini overproduced nearly everything in this product (except for RPA's), most of the stuff will drop in values. Some Rookies have 15+ Logomen in this product and once collectors get the amount they want the rest will sell like dirt. The fact that you can pick up a Brandon Jennings Auto Dual Patch out of his best Rookie Year product for $40 scares me.

Last edited by Thunderdunk; 08-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Welcome to the site Bill! Good luck if you do end up buying a box or two bro. Just don't plan on pulling any Rose Logomans because I have them both...lol
Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

hehehee.....thanks Rick!!! If you EVER decide to sell either of those, give me the first opportunity!!!!
Lots of interesting info on this forum....I like it!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

If I do buy any, I'll let you know how I do!!! Got trainwrecked with Exquisite, so I'm due for a good hit....lol....
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to boombaby_rm31

base = big resemblance to topps big game 06-07

sick rpa = 10-15 event used jerseys that were probably worn for 2 seconds maybe even less(thats the theory of most skeptics). lol

notable nicknames = good idea, but lacks creativity

timeline = meh

all decade auto/gu = meh

biography = rare cards, but doesnt have much value

collossal = wtf patch dump

nba gear = omg another patch dump

im disappointed. were stuck with panini right now so we have no choice.

they really need to do something with their creative team.

@boombaby_rm31
boombaby_rm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Again,

By the looks of your bucket you have opened your fair share of NT. And have pulled some nice pieces. I think you could break down UD this way as well if you choose to look at the negative. Take it or leave it but this IS the best we are going to get for a long time and I think the quality is great. Sounds like your bitter that UD is gone. Im not, competition in the market only benefits the consumer. Dont get me wrong. I have a lot of UD items from SP to exquisite, but I think Panini NT is just as good as anything UD has ever put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombaby_rm31 View Post
base = big resemblance to topps big game 06-07

sick rpa = 10-15 event used jerseys that were probably worn for 2 seconds maybe even less(thats the theory of most skeptics). lol

notable nicknames = good idea, but lacks creativity

timeline = meh

all decade auto/gu = meh

biography = rare cards, but doesnt have much value

collossal = wtf patch dump

nba gear = omg another patch dump

im disappointed. were stuck with panini right now so we have no choice.

they really need to do something with their creative team.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

I really thought they would deliver, but didnt... NT seems rushed.. the inserts are not well thought. it really looks like it was done in an hour or less(per insert). they seem to be always rushing for deadlines..

dont get me wrong i like some of their products like timeless treasures and crowne royale, but for me NT is a huge disappointment

@boombaby_rm31
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

You could say the same thing for every product out there. I guess they cant please everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombaby_rm31 View Post
I really thought they would deliver, but didnt... NT seems rushed.. the inserts are not well thought. it really looks like it was done in an hour or less(per insert). they seem to be always rushing for deadlines..

dont get me wrong i like some of their products like timeless treasures and crowne royale, but for me NT is a huge disappointment
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

ud, fleer and topps set the standards for basketball, so i guess people are basing their expectations from them

the thing is panini is doing their own thing.... i noticed that they have a certain formula/template that they do in most of their products and i believe if im not mistaken they do it in all the sports that they are making. and i doubt it will be changed, so this looks like will be the pattern for the coming years, so we all better get used to it... unless something comes up and they want to do something innovative

@boombaby_rm31
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've known boombaby on this forum since I joined early this year, and he's always knowledgeable and understands the hobby very well. I don't see why he dislikes NT so much. I do understand some of his points, but comparatively to what is out there, I don't see what he does with NT. I dig his opinions though and want to hear them.

I've never opened a case of Exquisite. I've opened many cases of Panini. Maybe I'd think differently if I opened some Exquisite and learned what it is about. Of course I've seen Exquisite cards, and own one nice one. But I just can't pull the trigger on Exquisite, I mean, if I pull a redemption, I'm hosed. Right? It just seems like it's already a risk paying top dollar to open product you will most likely lose money on, but then to add the risk of getting a redemption that you can't redeem, that's even worse. Plus Exquisite is like twice as much as NT, right?

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 08-30-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
Hello all, I'm not new to the hobby, but new to this forum! I collect strictly basketball and D Rose is my main, followed up with E Gordon and soon John Wall. My last case purchase was UD Exquisite. I wasn't a big fan of Panini at all, but have been very impressed with NT. Looking to see if the value of cards received is worth the 400.00 investement....let me know your thoughts!
I enjoyed National Treasures and also enjoyed Exquisite. National Treasures is the best basketball product Panini has produced for 09-10. If you were able to break a case of Exquisite and enjoy high end, it's worth a case. Take a look at what the product offers....if you like it....go for it. Enjoy the hobby as long as you are not hurting yourself.
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
I've known boombaby on this forum since I joined early this year, and he's always knowledgeable and understands the hobby very well. I don't see why he dislikes NT so much. I do understand some of his points, but comparatively to what is out there, I don't see what he does with NT. I dig his opinions though and want to hear them.

I've never opened a case of Exquisite. I've opened many cases of Panini. Maybe I'd think differently if I opened some Exquisite and learned what it is about. Of course I've seen Exquisite cards, and own one nice one. But I just can't pull the trigger on Exquisite, I mean, if I pull a redemption, I'm hosed. Right? It just seems like it's already a risk paying top dollar to open product you will most likely lose money on, but then to add the risk of getting a redemption that you can't redeem, that's even worse. Plus Exquisite is like twice as much as NT, right?
Actually, I've got many redemptions in to Upper Deck now....some go back to February of 09!!!!! Believe it or not, a few are in the "IN STOCK AND SHIPPING SOON" process after a year and a half. I believe they will honor all redemptions, with the exception of any Durant autos....I did get hosed on one and had to take a replacement...who knows who I'll get.
I cracked open a lot of Exquisite, and while I got a nice box or two, for the most part I came up short...as most of us do in the hobby, but I still love opening high end product! Think I'm going to try my luck at a couple boxes of NT!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
Actually, I've got many redemptions in to Upper Deck now....some go back to February of 09!!!!! Believe it or not, a few are in the "IN STOCK AND SHIPPING SOON" process after a year and a half. I believe they will honor all redemptions, with the exception of any Durant autos....I did get hosed on one and had to take a replacement...who knows who I'll get.
I cracked open a lot of Exquisite, and while I got a nice box or two, for the most part I came up short...as most of us do in the hobby, but I still love opening high end product! Think I'm going to try my luck at a couple boxes of NT!
So what's a decent Exquisite to bust these days? My first choice would be 07-08 NBA, but not if I can't pull a Durant RC, were those redemption's? What else is good to break in Exq? NFL or NBA?

Good luck on your NT break. I think a couple of boxes is the way to go, lessen the chance of getting a single dud box.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
So what's a decent Exquisite to bust these days? My first choice would be 07-08 NBA, but not if I can't pull a Durant RC, were those redemption's? What else is good to break in Exq? NFL or NBA?

Good luck on your NT break. I think a couple of boxes is the way to go, lessen the chance of getting a single dud box.

I liked the 08/09 Exquisite...lots of good boxes out there, but just the same...many bad boxes. If you can get your hands on 07/08 I don't think I'd buy it...other than Durant, no other decent Rookie cards out there to justify the value...unless you can pull a Jordan or Lebron. I DEFINITELY wouldn't waste my time or money with 09/10 Exquisite.