Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUT TV closed > Blowout Blogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Tim Tebow Justifies Early Collector Interest in Preseason Debut

Tim Tebow Justifies Early Collector Interest in Preseason Debut
August 16, 2010, 1:28 am

OK, so Tim Tebow‘s unbelievably ballyhooed NFL debut during the second half of Denver’s preseason opener in Cincinnati on Sunday night wasn’t necessarily Phil Simms in Super Bowl XXI.

Still, the polarizing project passer from the University of Florida did provide a few highly improbable outcomes: He made an NFL preseason game legitimate must-see TV, he outperformed fellow rookie classmates Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy, and he gave all those collectors throwing crazy cash at his Rookie Cards the right to say “I told you so” — if only for one week.

Granted, Tebow wasn’t exactly facing the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, the Monsters of the Midway or Doomsday, but neither were Clausen, McCoy and Bradford. Tebow threw for more yards than the other three first-year QBs, and was the only one of the four to complete better than 60 percent of his passes and produce a touchdown.

Here’s how the four stacked up statistically during their respective NFL preseason debuts:

Tim Tebow: 8-of-13, 105 yards passing; 10 yards rushing, one touchdown
Jimmy Clausen: 8-of-15, 80 yards, one interception passing; 11 yards rushing
Sam Bradford: 6-of-13, 57 yards passing
Colt McCoy: 5-of-10, 25 yards, two interceptions passing; 25 yards rushing

In the grand scheme of things, Tebow’s promising performance against the Bengals’ third-string defense won’t mean much come September. Heck, it might not mean much by Tuesday, aside from the possibility that Tebow surpasses Brady Quinn on the Broncos’ depth chart.

But on a night when ratings for a Cincinnati Bengals exhibition game inevitably were higher than they’ve ever been, the kid shouldering all the pressure delivered more than he didn’t. And for now, that’s all I need to justify my costly stash of Tebow trading cards.

That’s all I’m saying.

Tim Tebow Justifies Early Collector Interest in Preseason Debut The Beckett Blog