Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Blowout Cards Promotions! (And Other FREE Giveaways!)

Blowout Cards Promotions! (And Other FREE Giveaways!) Try to Win a FREE Box of cards & other awesome free giveaways, contests, and promotions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Don Mattingly.
He had >2000 hits and around 250 HRs, a .307 career BA, no personal problems, and he retired at 35. Not only all that but he is proving to be an unbelievable manager.

My Bucket: http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/Thommy69/library/?sort=3&page=0
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Roger Maris.

Although I never saw him play (and am not a Yankee fan) I enjoyed reading about him and the movie *61. He had great numbers and was a big piece of those great Yankee teams. He got overlooked because of Mantle and from what i learned it was incredible the way he held himself given the abuse he took. The 61 homers should be almost enough by itself as he not only beat the Babe's record but is probably the record holder for HR's is a season that actually did it clean.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Pete Rose is the obvious answer here, the only reason he is not in the hall yet is because we have Bitter Bud Selig as our commish.

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Simple, Pete Rose, but I agree with every other player listed thus far!
mikemaynard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

My vote goes to Pete Rose as well.
Plain stupid not to have the guy with the most hits ever in the Hall of Fame.

-Brandon

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) I am the proud 3 time recipient of Blowout's Jester of the Year Award (Funniest Member of the Year) - 2011, 2012, 2013
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Barry Bonds

not a popular choice, but dude could send the ball flying. He may have gotten into PEDs during the steroid era in baseball, but as we've seen lately, the steroid epidemic isn't gone.

He belongs in the hall for his HR record.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Pete Rose

greatest hitter of all time

/thread
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

Jeff Bagwell....

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #34 (permalink)

Default Lee Smith!

There are a lot of great options, but the easiest and best choice is closer Lee Smith. When it comes down to it...to be an elite closer for as long as Smith was...should be enough to get him in. For 14 years he held the all time saves record with 478. Trevor Hoffman broke his record (which now belongs to Mariano Rivera). The best part about Lee Smith is that he did it on 8 different teams...and did it well. This guy passed the eye test. Ask any real baseball fan during the 80s...who the best relief pitcher was and they would say LEE SMITH.

One endearing quality is that he played the majority of his career on the two most tortured franchises in history...the Cubs and the Red Sox.

There are only 5 pitchers in the hall based solely on being a reliever...that needs to change. The 7 time all-star should be in the hall of fame. Period.
CoachBill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #35 (permalink)

I think it is a crime that Ted Simmons is not in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best hitting catchers to ever play the game. He had almost 250 HRs, 1400 RBIs, 500 doubles, and 2500 hits while batting .285 for his career. He is arguably the best switch hitting catcher of all-time. He held the record for his position in the career hits and doubles category, until Ivan Rodriguez broke them (possibly with a little help...wink wink) For 7 seasons, he led the Cardinals in RBIs, which is quite an accomplishment of someone who plays his position. He was an 8 time all-star, won a Silver Slugger award, and caught 2 no-hitters. He was unfortunately overshadowed by the other great NL catcher of his era, the immortal Bench. I really hope that he is voted in one day by the Vet Committee because he truly deserves to be enshrined, especially considering the borderline members who were voted in by the writers as of late.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Pete Rose - Amazing hitter, just messed up once
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #37 (permalink)

Ken Griffey Jr. of course, 22 years in baseball, I watched him as a kid and as an adult. I had the Ken-etics poster on my wall in high school, he was a great role model. I don't think he is actually eligible until 2015 though.

13-time All-star, 10 Gold Glove Awards, 630 home runs, 2,781 hits, .284 career average, 3 home run derby winner, etc, etc.
Poonchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #38 (permalink)

Pete Rose without a doubt...maybe one day the all time hits leader will get his due!!!
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #39 (permalink)

Barry Bonds.

He was the best player I have ever seen play the game.
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

I would say Rose or Jackson, but just to be different I'll go with Doc Gooden. He really helped turn the Mets around and win them a championship. He has a .631 win percentage, and was a strikeout leader a couple of times.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Jeff Bagwell. Just shy of a .300 career hitter, 449 Hrs, over 1500 RBI's and Runs, and over 200 SB.
OSUVaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Pete Rose.......only major issue: gambling. Not drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, steriods, etc......

A hitting machine and a record that is likely not to be broken.

NEED HELP FINDING: 2001 SP GAME USED EDITION - CAL RIPKEN JR (GU JSY - GOLD #/25)
grandslam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #43 (permalink)

Default why not the hall ??

greg maddox
this guy was a true pro on and off the field, did not have over powering fastball or knee breaking curveball , this guy could just pitch ,put the ball where he wanted ,he had three go to pitches but threw them seventeen different ways ,he improvised with what he had in the middle of the steriod era and the numbers speak for them self 355 wins - 3.16 era - over 3300 k*s - over 5000 ings pitched - 4 cy*s automaddox first ballot, easily over 95% on all ballots
tjslav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

I have to go with Tim Raines, the guy was one of the most under appreciated hitters in the 80's-90's had a amazing on base percentage, 1,571 runs and 64.6 WAR. He really deserves the bid in my opinion.

http://yankeesgofor28.blogspot.com/
Cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #45 (permalink)

Would have to go with Barry bonds. Steroids cant help with his stats!

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

Maybe this is a homer answer, but I like to say Joe Carter should be in the hall. 396 career home runs, 5x All-Star, 10 25+ home run seasons, and of course one of the most famous home runs in baseball history and the greatest moment in Canadian baseball history (other than the diving catch made this year in the LLWS!).

Again, probably a homer answer, but I think he deserves a spot. Plus, I didn't want to go with the typical Pete Rose or Barry Bonds answer!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #47 (permalink)

Location: Looking for Jayhawks any sport, KC Royals, KC Chiefs, and Philadelphia Flyers.

Orel Hershiser:

It’s hard to blame the BBWAA for not voting for a man with a career 204-150 record, 3.48 ERA, and zero dominant seasons after the age of 30 to be in the Hall of Fame. Overall, his career numbers come up short.

But, Orel should really be in the Hall of Fame anyway – on the basis that he earned three straight Cy Young awards. In actuality, he won just once for his historic 1988 season when he shutout opponents for 59 consecutive innings (and probably should have been MVP). But Hershiser was also the National League’s best pitcher in both 1987 and 1989.

In both those seasons, Hershiser led the league in Wins Above Replacement and innings pitched, putting up ERA’s of 3.06 and 2.31 respectively. In both seasons, his Win-Loss percentage was only .500, due to poor performance by teammates. Also in both seasons, he saw his award given to closers who pitched under 100 innings.

If he receives those well-deserved Cy Youngs, Hershiser goes from “solid pitcher with dominant shutout record” to “3-time Cy Young winner.” Only Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson have ever won as many as three consecutive Cy Young awards.

He’s still a better candidate than Jack Morris though.
mrhall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #48 (permalink)

Gotta agree with Rose, brushing his career under the carpet was ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #49 (permalink)

PETE ROSE for sure. He was one of the greatest to ever play. He has paid his debt for his lack of honor and commitment
navydude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #50 (permalink)

I'm gonna have to go with Roberto Alomar: There is just one reason why Roberto Alomar was not elected to Cooperstown in his first year of eligibility, because he spit on an umpire back in 1996. I just don't understand, What other reason could there be for denying a career .300 hitter, who was known as a great defender, and had speed as well as some power. He was a 12 time all star and finished in the top five in MVP voting five times.