Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Blowout Cards Promotions! (And Other FREE Giveaways!)

Blowout Cards Promotions! (And Other FREE Giveaways!) Try to Win a FREE Box of cards & other awesome free giveaways, contests, and promotions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #51 (permalink)

Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Period.

No one believed him and he played in a time when contracts and salaries cost pennies. He played during the deadball era, without ever knowing what steroids were, Nike, or Gatorade.

He played because he loved to play the game.

He got caught up in something that was unfortunate.

Joe Jackson!
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #52 (permalink)

going to have to save Tommy John, man was on pace to have his best season when he threw out his arm, was 12-3 at the time and did the surgery now known after his name........was a 3 time 20 game winner and 2 time cy young runner up has the highest win total at 288 of an eligible hall of famer thats alive.....

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #53 (permalink)

I've never understood why Pete Rose isn't in the Hall. He bet on his team to win. That's about the most confidence you can have in your guys.
Zoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #54 (permalink)

Pete Rose...The All-Time Hits Leader!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #55 (permalink)

For the sake of helping to turning around an entire ball-club and becoming the face of success in the majors has to be...

Jeff Bagwell for HOF'er!

Not only did he help dig the Astros out of bottom-scraper status in a major way, he elevated the Astos in such a way as to, in the mid 90's, find division success again and again and again! My perception may be a bit-skewed since the mid 90's were the time when I moved beyond baseball as fan of a simple sport to a fan filled with intrigue at the inner-workings of baseball in its entirety, but Bagwell was the face of the Astros at that time! Though the playoffs were unforgiving for the Astros - especially those darned first-round games - Bagwell gave Astros fans hope that they were on the cuff of something great. His play went beyond simple stats. His play built a story for Houston as a fan-base to become a part of. That's why we watch baseball anyway, isn't it!?

If you don't believe me, feel free to get into the inner-workings of his stats on wikipedia, ESPN or SI. I'm too lazy to cut-and-paste today!
tom849 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #56 (permalink)

Alright...I am gonna say it..Roger Clemens. Since nothing was proved in his case about steroids how can we doubt what he did on the field? The Cy Youngs, The World Series rings, The great and not so great moments of his career (such as the bat throwing incident) makes him a celebrity. He deserves to be in there until proven otherwise. We all have suspicions of his steroid abuse...but without proof and a guilty in court...he is innocent and one of the greatest pitchers of all time.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #57 (permalink)

Bill Dahlen Has to be in the Hall of Fame Before any disgraced player is even thought of.
Ev Cope HOF researcher had this to say.Bill Dahlen died on Dec 5th 1950 62+ years ago. However, he continues to suffer the fate of several of his contemporaries seemingly forgotten by Cooperstown despite a career that compares favorably with various honorees. How unfair that there HOF bids are overlooked for want of of research diligence. Such efforts would show Dahlens worthiness. Ninety Nine years after his retirement he still ranks in the top 100 all time in: Games, plate appearances, at-bats, runs, hits, singles, triples, times on base, hit-by-pitch, walks and stolen bases. His work at shortstop places him 11th all time in games at that position, 2nd in putouts and fourth in assists. The new Range Factor statistic ranks Dahlen sixth all time among shortstops. With the above how can this ballplayer not be in the HOF

Bill Dahlen played for the following Teams: Chicago Colts
Chicago Orphans
Brooklyn Superbas
New York Giants
Boston Doves
Brooklyn Dodgers
trubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #58 (permalink)

Pete Rose should be in due to his accomplishments on the field as a player. His screw up should not matter as to whether he should be enshrined in the HOF. And I have never been a big fan of him but respected his ability to play the game!!
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #59 (permalink)

Keith Hernandez deserves to be in the Hall. Hernandez batted over .300 seven times in his career. He also won 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards at first base, setting a Major League record for the position that still stands. He has 2 World Series rings and was a 5 time All Star. Yes, he did drugs but has successfully stayed sober, which shouldn't be a factor for getting in.
JohnnyG711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #60 (permalink)

Pete Rose. All-time Hit King. Nothing else needed to be said.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #61 (permalink)

Pete Rose is baseball. The man paid his dues and played his damn heart out every game. NEVER ONCE bet on his team to lose a game!!!!! Bud SElig needs to put this man in NOW!!
Texas Brave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #62 (permalink)

Jack Morris, four world series with three different teams. ERA and other stats like his wildness hold him down. But I find him very deserving of the hall.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #63 (permalink)

Pete Rose. The Hall doesnt have a problem showing some of his memorabilia, now its time to show him on the wall.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #64 (permalink)

Jack Morris for sure. I think his not so friendly pesonality with the idiot sportswriters who can't figure out Mayz, Mantle or anyone else should be a unanimous choice.

Morris was the winningest pitcher of the 80's, winning over 250 games in his career. A 5-time All-Star with a solid 7-4 post season record including MVP of the 1991 World Series. He wasn't flashy or a powerhouse, just a consistent workhorse over the years who was usually at the top in complete games for many mediocre teams.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #65 (permalink)

Most definitely Pete Rose. Charlie Hustle went 100 percent every play. The Hit King most hits in Baseball. The gambling happened as a manager, not a player. He has the respect of the fans and his peers. It has never been proven nor do I ever think it will be proven that Mr. Rose bet against his own team. I just don't see a player that Hustled out each and every play trying to help his team win, betting against his own team.
IUFan829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

Roger Maris. If you ask anyone under the age of 30 if Roger Maris is in the Hall of Fame, I'm guessing 90% of them will say "yes". Broke Babe Ruth's single-season home run record and held it until steroids came along. League MVP once and World Series MVP twice. He had a short career (12 years), but so did Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean, who are current HOFers. If you look at his lifetime stats, they don't scream "Hall of Fame", but the seasons in which he played considerable time his stats are excellent. Besides, just the name Maris is certainly Hall of Famous.
kencope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #67 (permalink)

Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame because he was the greatest hitter of all-time, and the bets he placed on baseball did nothing to hurt his personal or team performance on the field. He betted FOR his team which, if anything, gave him more motivation to play better! I do not see how that's detrimental to the game, at all! It motivated him to be a better player and put on a better show for the fans. His gambling had nothing to do with his on-field performance, and the Hall of Fame should reward those who worked hard and produced outstanding results, which Rose did.

Bring me your Dan Haren, Maurice Jones-Drew, Bobby Shantz, & Oregon State Beavers!

Bucket: http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/RichSlyFox14/
RichSlyFox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #68 (permalink)

Luis Tiant! His numbers compare very well with HOF'er Catfish Hunter. Pitching in the same era here are some comparisons:

Wins - Tiant 229 Hunter 224
ERA - Tiant 3.30 Hunter 3.26 (Tiant also had 2 seasons with an ERA under 2.00)
20 win seasons - Tiant 4 Hunter 3
Sub 3.00 ERA seasons Tiant 6 Hunter 5
Complete Games Tiant 187 Hunter 181
Shutouts Tiant 49 Hunter 42

I thank the internet for my info.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/spud1972_bucket/
spud1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #69 (permalink)

Definetely Joe Jackson because he was a great player. It shoulden't matter what he did off the field, it didn't enhance his abilities.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/nibrugnerotto/a/ft-fs
nibrugnerotto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #70 (permalink)

So many great choices have been brought up and hard to compete with. While I agree with many of them and the stats, I would have to also say Pete Rose.

As a player he was out to play the game hard every day he put on a pair of spikes. His stats are well known and rivaled by his style of play. The sad thing is he was banned from baseball for gambling on baseball. The travesty is MLB has nothing to do with the HOF. He should be in the HOF and we all know that the amount of money and pieces of history that are worked in to the HOF from MLB is the reason why he is not in. We all know that politics are a part of everyday life in everyones life. this is no different.

The only other sad story of who is not in is Buck O'Neil. Buck was an ambassador to the game after putting up great numbers while over coming the hardship of racism. It is terrible that he was not put in before his death and to TRY to fix that mistake the HOF put a statue and award in his name. Not what should have been done. Anyone who ever met Buck would know he belongs.
promodeltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #71 (permalink)

PETE ROSE...because:
NO ONE WILL EVER BREAK HIS HIT RECORD...!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #72 (permalink)

Dale Murphy! 2x NL MVP. If he were on a decent team during his career and not the worst team in the bigs at the time (Braves) He would have been in.

I still however think he should be in for what he did for the Braves when he was there. 2x Mvp !!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #73 (permalink)

Barry Bonds. Most Homeruns and he was the best power hitter of his era.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #74 (permalink)

Edgar Martinez.. A nightmare at the plate. His offensive prowess more than makes up for his not playing on the defensive side of the game.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #75 (permalink)

^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy because he wears women's sunglasses and is the greatest hitter of his generation.

Bucket: http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/gryder35/library/Baseball%20-%20For%20Trade
BucksBandit is offline   Reply With Quote