Blowout Cards Forums
Save big on officially licensed NFL fan merchandise at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > COINS & CURRENCY BUY/SELL/TRADE

COINS & CURRENCY BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your Coins, Currency, & Precious Metals Buy/Sell/Trade needs here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ancient Coins---Too good to be true?

I had went to a museum a bit over a week ago and they had a bunch of ancient coins there. I had thought that it was really cool as I collect hockey cards and coins and cards are not that far off from one another.

I had checked eBay and could not believe how cheap that ancient coins sell for. These lots have all sold just over the last 24 hour period:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Lot-Jo...item41867571ca
$1.52 a coin

Ancient Roman Coins Lot | eBay
$2.33 a coin

Uncleaned Ancient Roman Coins Lot of 15 as Found II | eBay
$1.23 a coin

Lot of 10 Assorted Ancient Roman Coins | eBay
$0.80 a coin

Uncleaned Ancient Roman Coins Lot of 10 as Found I II | eBay
$2.50 a coin

High Grade Lot 9 Extra Large Uncleaned Roman Bronze Coins AE1 Size 24 29mm 99g | eBay
$2.89 a coin

Premium Lot 14 Uncleaned Roman Bronze Silver Coins AE2 AE3 Denarius 17 25mm | eBay
$2.93 a coin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Lot-...item35dc30b90a
$1.47 a coin

Lot of 80 Ancient Roman Uncleaned Bronze Coins Follis 15 | eBay
$1.29 a coin

Lot of 80 Ancient Roman Uncleaned Bronze Coins Follis 16 | eBay
$1.29 a coin

Lot of 100 Uncleaned Byzantine and Roman Coins Perfect R 591 | eBay
$1.96 a coin

Lot of 10 Ancient Roman Coins 13 20mm | eBay
$1.70 a coin

Those are just some of the lots that have sold only over the course of the last 24 hours. Sorry very dumb question but why do they sell for so low of prices? In my mind something that is that old should sell for a lot more money. I can assume that millions of coins are available and is that the reason?

Thanks for any opinions.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscards View Post
I had went to a museum a bit over a week ago and they had a bunch of ancient coins there. I had thought that it was really cool as I collect hockey cards and coins and cards are not that far off from one another.

I had checked eBay and could not believe how cheap that ancient coins sell for. These lots have all sold just over the last 24 hour period:

Great Lot Job of 8 Unclean Roman Coins Unresearched 234 476 Ad | eBay
$1.52 a coin

Ancient Roman Coins Lot | eBay
$2.33 a coin

Uncleaned Ancient Roman Coins Lot of 15 as Found II | eBay
$1.23 a coin

Lot of 10 Assorted Ancient Roman Coins | eBay
$0.80 a coin

Uncleaned Ancient Roman Coins Lot of 10 as Found I II | eBay
$2.50 a coin

High Grade Lot 9 Extra Large Uncleaned Roman Bronze Coins AE1 Size 24 29mm 99g | eBay
$2.89 a coin

Premium Lot 14 Uncleaned Roman Bronze Silver Coins AE2 AE3 Denarius 17 25mm | eBay
$2.93 a coin

Premium Lot of 16 Genuine Uncleaned Roman Bronze Coins AE2 AE3 16 22mm 36 5g | eBay
$1.47 a coin

Lot of 80 Ancient Roman Uncleaned Bronze Coins Follis 15 | eBay
$1.29 a coin

Lot of 80 Ancient Roman Uncleaned Bronze Coins Follis 16 | eBay
$1.29 a coin

Lot of 100 Uncleaned Byzantine and Roman Coins Perfect R 591 | eBay
$1.96 a coin

Lot of 10 Ancient Roman Coins 13 20mm | eBay
$1.70 a coin

Those are just some of the lots that have sold only over the course of the last 24 hours. Sorry very dumb question but why do they sell for so low of prices? In my mind something that is that old should sell for a lot more money. I can assume that millions of coins are available and is that the reason?

Thanks for any opinions.
bingo...especially the roman coins. they made a TON of those back then.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yup, generic uncleaned bronzes showing lots of wear are quite common. I love buying uncleaned coins personally. I clean off as much dirt as I can to be able to read what's left to be read on the coin, and then do as much research as I can to identify the period the coin was minted, the emperor depicted on the coin, and you can even identify the coins to which Roman mint they were produced at. I've found that if I buy a lot of 20 coins, 1 or 2 will be identifiable and interesting, you'll probably get 2-4 more identifiable commons like Constantine or something, and then you'll probably have about 6 that have definition but not enough legible writing to be able to identify the coin, and then 10 or so that are blank worthless slugs.

One of the most interesting finds I was able to identify from one of my lots of 20, were a set of 2 coins. The first coin I identified from the lot was attributed to Byzantine Emperor Arcadius, which would've been minted from somewhere between 383 - 408 AD when he held power. It was an unusual find, but what made it really cool was the 2'nd coin I identified from the lot. The other coin I was very interested in because it depicted a female bust, which obviously wasn't as common to find as the many male emperors. It turned out to be attributed to the wife of Arcadius, Empress Aelia Eudoxia which would've been minted between 395-401 AD. That just goes to show that the hordes of coins found will often contain coins from similar time periods and to find a set depicting a ruling husband and wife was pretty cool, both being completely identifiable. The oldest coin I've fully identified was an Antoninus Pius from between 138-161 AD

It's a really fun hobby, if you've got patience and good eyes. Although after so many lots of coins you'll learn to hate Constantine the Great. Since he was so famous and ruled for so long, he produced coins out the wazoo and every lot you buy is GUARANTEED to have at least a couple of em.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

So the bigger question is; is their money to be made on ancient coins and are many coins counterfitted/fakes?
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscards View Post
So the bigger question is; is their money to be made on ancient coins and are many coins counterfitted/fakes?
It's a slow process, but if you have patience and low overhead, you can make money with ancients.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote