Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where do you buy?

Just wondering where everyone buys their gold/silver/bullion/etc...
A member on the Gold/Silver prices thread in the off topic section that got closed turned me onto Scottsdale Silver, which is where I have bought my first three rolls of 2013 $1 Silver American Eagles. Also have about another loose 40ozs of 2012/13 Silver Eagles. Silver is the only precious metal I currently have.

SLV ETF currently at $21.10, 52 week high at $34.07, low of $20.76...
Anyone have any thoughts as to what may happen with Gold/Silver/Platinum/Palladium prices?

Thanks for any input!!!
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I buy locally from a dealer - used to buy on ebay until someone scammed me on a graded Morgan dollar (MS64) - got an empty package in the mail - too many fake coins and people selling fake "toned" coins.

I've never purchased from them, but I know APMEX is a good site to buy from. Also, I used to get deals once in awhile on gold/silver eagles thru certain magazine retailers (from the ads in gun mags/NRA etc).
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

APMEX is a good site, as they have many more options than Scottsdale, but when it comes to $1 Silver American Eagles, I have not seen many places beat Scottsdale. Only drawback with Scottsdale is that you have to purchase in rolls of 20, they do not sell individual Eagles.
When I first started, I bought some off EBay and then realized I was paying more than I should have been.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ill have to try Scottsdale, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep no problem ... Just checked..

Roll of 20 from APMEX is $533 in stock, shipping would run you $19.95..

Roll of 20 from Scottsdale is $521.44 2-3 weeks for shipping with free shipping.

That is the other problem with Scottsdale, shipping can take a few weeks, but if you are stacking, waiting is no big deal when you are saving $31.51 comparing APMEX and Scottsdale as of today's prices
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I buy my silver bars and wafers from Scotia Mocatta. Cant go wrong buying direct from a bank.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow that Scottsdale price is awesome for online! Same amount would be $515 for me locally (at a dist. that is always in stock, but charges like $4 over spot per oz). The main dealer I like (who is not always stocked, just depends) only charges me $2-3 over spot/oz.

I'm definitely going to try Scottsdale for my next purchase, would be nice not having to drive anywhere - thanks for pricing that out!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Glad to help
Scottsdale also has better pricing on multiple rolls. APMEX price in the earlier price is for 1-4 rolls, the Scottsdale price is for one roll.
Order 2-4 rolls from Scottsdale and it goes down to $508.80 each
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I buy them from smackvay here on this website, it was my first time ever buying silver coins and bar.

The 2nd time I ordered some more 1 oz silver bar from the website Silvertowne. They seems to always be out of stock . I like them because I get to use PAYPAL.

My next purchase will be from that Scottsdale site you guys are talking about.

Last edited by IronMonkey415; 06-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I must have lucked out with scottsdale as I get my stuff from them in usually a day or 2 or less and that is with their regular shipping. Maybe since I'm only miles away from them. It would be nice if I could just go there and pick up to save even more time. I've also purchased singles and not full rolls from them.

Apmex is good, but the shipping hurts if you don't use the offshore depository

mint.ca is so so because of shipping and they do a lot of novelty items or weird weights

also colonial acres was good to me.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have never noticed how cheap(compared to the $1600~ last time I've checked the chart) gold was until today. Usually I check silver every 2 weeks or so. I don't usually pay attention unless I have spare change for a silver bar or two. And I usually buy off ebay/craigslist/or the local coin/currency store.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a local coin store here in st louis that gets me whatever i want and he doesnt charge me for using a credit or debit card no tax and no shipping so i get more for my money.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I get alot of my Gold and Silver information from Kitco with great articles and goto Coinflation where it will break down each coin telling you how much the actual gold and silver value is and the percentage of how much is in the coin. Providentmetals has the cheapest Eagles at $24.22 each. right now.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
I buy them from smackvay here on this website, it was my first time ever buying silver coins and bar.

The 2nd time I ordered some more 1 oz silver bar from the website Silvertowne. They seems to always be out of stock . I like them because I get to use PAYPAL.

My next purchase will be from that Scottsdale site you guys are talking about.
Scottsdale accepts Paypal, you don't see that option until you get ready to checkout.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Here is my 2 cents. Please take it with light heart.

Its not only about where to buy, but also what to buy. Quality makes a huge difference to investors when selling. For this reason, I will ONLY purchase bars/ignots of certain refiners.

In my opinion and my strategy, I only buy the following..

J&M
Englehard
Scotiabank (Cant go wrong with banks)
TD Bank

and if I can find .9999 if possible. I would consider Pamp! But their markup is too much. I collect their signature stuff like special dragon editions etc..

Like I said, To each their own!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

JM Bullion.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Is J&M also Buy Gold and Silver Online - Quality & Service Assured - JM Bullion or is that something else?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

JM Bullion, Provident, Modern Coin Mart, Liberty Coin & Precious Metals, Silvertowne, Gainesville Coin, Goldmart and Monarch Precious Metals are good.

I've personally dealt with: JMB, Provident, MCM, Liberty, Gainesville, Goldmart and Silvertowne. The only one I can't vouch for is Monarch but I have heard they are quite good as well.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

So far I only buy locally from The Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange. It's well established having been here for 25 years, it's nearby and there is no tax or shipping charges, I walk in with cash and walk out with my metal.

The only downside is limited selection, for gold they only sell Maples, Eagles and Krugerrands and various bars (only Maples for fractionals).

For Silver it's just Generic, Eagles, Maples and Wildlife rounds. Generic rounds and bars all seem to be A-Mark silver.

I'd like more variety, but I can't complain about the convenience.

My most recent purchase:

With today's price dip I'm tempted to make another visit.

Last edited by Incarnadine; 06-19-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Mostly from a few dealers I trust. The only time I buy online is if its something I can't get from them. Apmex, mintproducts.com and USMint
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

I buy anywhere i can get a deal.
Just got 923 40% kennedys in the mail today and their was actually 14 1964 90% ones mixed in? lol but with the dip in silver it wont be going anywhere lol
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have been buying on ebay more than anywhere. Only one real shop around here and they are wanting more than I would pay on there. I have looked at ordering directly through Scottsdale, but usually not ordering enough to negate shipping, so works about the same or lower.

Usually buying through Scottsdale on ebay anyhow. I tend to like their auctions where you don't know what bars you are getting other than it is a name brand. Usually you end up with 10 oz bars, but I have paid less for those than I have for 10 oz bars themselves. They are "circulated" only in the sense they are not sealed, at least that is how all mine have been. Even gotten a few stackers from them that way. Smallest I have gotten was 2 5 ounce prey bars, which are very nice.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004 (Needs heavy updating.)
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

anyone w/meritgold.com experience? Free shipping in June and not too bad over spot. I looked at ebay and lots of silver is going for around $25/oz right now...seems weird they are getting bid up like that (IE saw a roll of 20 Silver eagles for $500 w/a bid, but @ most places you can get that for under $470 shipped right now)
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

FYI

Gainesville coins is running a sale right now, generic rounds for $0.99 over spot. (credit card payments are a bit higher)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanxs I just bought like $250 worth because of your tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
FYI

Gainesville coins is running a sale right now, generic rounds for $0.99 over spot. (credit card payments are a bit higher)