Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #76 (permalink)

Only reason why Metals and Oil is going up is because of Syria, plain and simple
Diem926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #77 (permalink)

Whoever they are I DO NOT want to shake their hand. Life was good when silver was 18-20 I was buying them non-stop day and after day.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diem926 View Post
Only reason why Metals and Oil is going up is because of Syria, plain and simple
Oil, yes. Precious metals, up until now, no. Although once the whole Syria crisis really starts to set in, precious metals will experience a very nice increase.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #79 (permalink)

Really? It has everything to do about syria and the potential for war. Did you look at the charts? Metals turned sharp north the same time it started to get reported for the US might step in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Oil, yes. Precious metals, up until now, no. Although once the whole Syria crisis really starts to set in, precious metals will experience a very nice increase.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Really? It has everything to do about syria and the potential for war. Did you look at the charts? Metals turned sharp north the same time it started to get reported for the US might step in.
Yup. This is why I said it will come back close to 20 again. When this is over and forgotten it will come back down unless we're headed to WW3. My dry powder is just sitting there, most likely being used on cards lol, but I wont buy much silver as long as this spike is happening.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't phrase it properly. I don't think the only factor driving the price of PM's up is the Syria crisis, there's no doubt it has had an effect on the price, especially in the past week or so.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #82 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

I'm kind of playing the wait and see game. I bought in a decent chunk (around 80 oz or so) when it was at about $20/oz. I told myself then that if it got up to $45/oz I'd sell it all and double my money (taking premiums paid into account). So I for one am hoping it'll get up to that so I can sell it all and then maybe it'll dive back down to $20 or so and I can buy up double what I had before for the same initial investment.

Not saying this is a terribly likely scenario...but it'd be nice
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #83 (permalink)

When fiscal policy tightens and interest rates are allowed to naturally rise (will be healthy for our economy) money will shift back into bonds. Right now 'safe' bonds yield next to nothing and money has shifted toward other things, including commodities. India and China's gold lust will slow, still grow, but not at current rates.

I stand on my previous estimates. Make your money short-term, but I wouldn't touch either metal for the long. Remove the Syria crisis and the current spot eases to $19-20. It will drop below $14 late next year, possibly in Q3.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
I'm kind of playing the wait and see game. I bought in a decent chunk (around 80 oz or so) when it was at about $20/oz. I told myself then that if it got up to $45/oz I'd sell it all and double my money (taking premiums paid into account). So I for one am hoping it'll get up to that so I can sell it all and then maybe it'll dive back down to $20 or so and I can buy up double what I had before for the same initial investment.

Not saying this is a terribly likely scenario...but it'd be nice
This is similarly why I got into silver. More so the reason that it will get that high. I do not wish it to get that high because the result will be further damaging to our way of life but I am saving just incase. I would much rather hold 4000 ounces of $10 silver than have/need 4000 ounces of $100 silver at this point in time. 30 years from now not so much lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
When fiscal policy tightens and interest rates are allowed to naturally rise (will be healthy for our economy) money will shift back into bonds. Right now 'safe' bonds yield next to nothing and money has shifted toward other things, including commodities. India and China's gold lust will slow, still grow, but not at current rates.

I stand on my previous estimates. Make your money short-term, but I wouldn't touch either metal for the long. Remove the Syria crisis and the current spot eases to $19-20. It will drop below $14 late next year, possibly in Q3.

I agree to an extent with this. Take Syria out of the equasion and we're still buying $20 silver. I dont see anything happening, or anyone letting happen, anything to cause silver to go to $30-$40 any time soon. Times will catch up to where we are now. $100 oil isnt going anywhere, $15-$20 silver isnt going anywhere, $3.50 gas isnt going anywhere and people and times will adjust. It always takes time for wages and such to catch up.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #85 (permalink)

Silver certainly has interesting drops and rises. Last night when the market opened it dropped almost $0.50 in minutes, within a couple of hours it had reversed and made up that drop, and now it's up almost $0.75.
Quite the interesting start to the week.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #86 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
Silver certainly has interesting drops and rises. Last night when the market opened it dropped almost $0.50 in minutes, within a couple of hours it had reversed and made up that drop, and now it's up almost $0.75.
Quite the interesting start to the week.
That is the one thing that absolutely blows my mind of how this is even possible?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #87 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Can someone explain what a war has to do with silver/gold going up an down, in English?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Can someone explain what a war has to do with silver/gold going up an down, in English?
any regional or global conflict pushes the prices of commodities up
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #89 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
any regional or global conflict pushes the prices of commodities up
But what does the war actually have to with the price?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
But what does the war actually have to with the price?
investors consider it a "safe haven" for their money during times of conflict..due to in volatility of most things that war times bring...as the past shows even rumors of wars have slightly increased gold prices

you can keep your money in the unknown or you can slip it into the safe haven of the gold market and make a little money and then when the volatility is gone or the war is over then move it back into the higher risk areas of the market
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #91 (permalink)

A few air strikes isn't boots on the ground. I don't even see that happening now. China owns us. We have no money to fight a war. Whatever happens should be a joint Nato operation.PM's moving back up in the foreign market right now.
JJ53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #92 (permalink)

wow down almost a dollar today
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #93 (permalink)

This market is crazy. When I bought yesterday it was down .11, this morning when I bought it was down .96, now its down .80.

I have to stop watching lol
Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEARYCOLBERT83 View Post
wow down almost a dollar today
Liquidate metals and buy stock today. That is the trend.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #95 (permalink)

Watching the metals on days like today is always fascinating.

Silver was down over $1, but in the last few minutes has recovered nearly $0.50

Gold was down about $50, but hasn't recovered much at all yet.

I just wish I was able to buy some today, but I was laid off for 3 weeks (we landed a big job and I start back tomorrow thankfully) and have need of my reserve cash. No more buying silver or gold until I replenish my cash reserves.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
Watching the metals on days like today is always fascinating.

Silver was down over $1, but in the last few minutes has recovered nearly $0.50

Gold was down about $50, but hasn't recovered much at all yet.

I just wish I was able to buy some today, but I was laid off for 3 weeks (we landed a big job and I start back tomorrow thankfully) and have need of my reserve cash. No more buying silver or gold until I replenish my cash reserves.
Ive been watching as well...its like watching your favorite team in overtime. Its fun though.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEARYCOLBERT83 View Post
This market is crazy. When I bought yesterday it was down .11, this morning when I bought it was down .96, now its down .80.

I have to stop watching lol
Only 'watch' any price movement if you are in the extreme shortterm. Most of use don't have the ability to work in those constraints anyway. HFT are only earning about a penny for every 20 shares traded. And they move assets in 1/1000ths of a second

If you are in for the long then just buy and don't worry about daily, weekly or even monthly movements.

NOTE: I'm not giving investing advice, but if I were I would recommend you stay far away from metals if you are in for the long.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #98 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Only 'watch' any price movement if you are in the extreme shortterm. Most of use don't have the ability to work in those constraints anyway. HFT are only earning about a penny for every 20 shares traded. And they move assets in 1/1000ths of a second

If you are in for the long then just buy and don't worry about daily, weekly or even monthly movements.

NOTE: I'm not giving investing advice, but if I were I would recommend you stay far away from metals if you are in for the long.
Pretty solid advice^^^^^
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:

what do you consider long term? where do you draw the line between long term and mid term?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #100 (permalink)

I guess im in it for the long term but if it "hits" im sure im going to sell off and then rebuy when it goes back into a decline ( If it does )

This is not just an investment for me though. I like coins and enjoy buying and collecting silver. I still have a lot to learn but its been fun so far.