Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to begin a collection in Silver, where should I start?

I am looking to start a "career" into collecting silver mainly but also gold too. I'm currently a college student, but i'd like to have something to invest in. Cards is great, but its just the chance of hitting something big.

I have a few items that are silver, Quarters, Sitting/mercury/barber, War Nickles, Walking Half dollars, Benjamin Half. Mostly got them from looking through loose change or my uncle.

Where is a good place to get silver from? Any "Trustable" websites/companies besides Ebay? What should I look for? I'm currently an Economics major, so I know the importance of investing, and business cycles, from what I can see the market is going down, but will eventually pick back up.

Anyone open to card deals for silver btw?

Thanks
TexAggie_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've used Apmex (American Precious Metals Exchange) in the past and they are solid. Might not be the cheapest, but they deliver without any hassle. You will get your best buys on eBay, but you need to be careful. Buy only from folks with solid feedback. GL!
webb_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

My suggestion is to find a local store near you. Go in and take a look at whats out there and see how the store owner is. Its always better to buy from a store that you can trust.

As far as collecting you need to decide if you want coins that have numismatic value or bullion value. If numismatic value is what you want I would suggest a classic series.

Indian Head Cents, Wheat Pennies, Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Franklin Halves, Morgan Dollars and Peace Dollars are all good numismatic valued coins.

If you want bullion coins, I would suggest American Silver Eagles, American Gold Eagles and some of the higher minted gold series. And right now may be the time to get them while silver and gold values are down.
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Started out collecting mercury dimes. They are nice to look at. They do have a considerable amount of silver in them.

My favorite are Morgan dollars and also early Kennedy dollars.

Just have fun and don't waste your money on one egg...diversify and enjoy the hobby.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie_2014 View Post
Mostly got them from looking through loose change or my uncle.
Or my uncle made me lol Yeah yeah I know lol
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

If your serious hit me up as im moving LOTS of ounces cheap
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Provident Metals is a great site too...

1.) I'd start out with a few 1oz coins/bars that are closest to spot. "Buffalos Too"
2.) Buy some scrap Half Dollar 90% Halves IF close to spot, stay away from 40% junk
3.) When you feel like spicing it up a little bit... Try buying some Pre-2012 1oz Silver Pandas. Meaning no 2012 or 2013, Just 2011 and below. Make sure you can spot fakes when doing this. Check what Ebay completed sales of each year are going for so you don't overpay at a dealer or elsewhere.
4.) Silvertowne is a good brand for 5-10oz bars when you get there.
5.) Always keep an eye out for silver coins in circulation and ask your banks for ANY and ALL rolls of 50 cent Halves that they have.

Happy Collecting
gmoney000 is offline   Reply With Quote