Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gold or Silver

I have a question for all of you who have had experience with the ups and downs of precious metals. I have been buying gold here and there for the last 2 years. At this point I have about 9 ounces. When silver was at $20 an ounce I started thinking of converting the gold to silver. What are your thoughts. I really like those 100 oz silver bars. I also thought of focusing on silver and not so much on gold from this point on so I don't have all of my eggs in one basket. At this point it is an investment for my retirement. I have a 401k at work but the way that has been going I will never see retirement, which I am hoping to do in about 25 years. Any advice is much appreciated.
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

The big thing with swapping gold for silver and vice versa, is to know the GSR(Gold to Silver ratio) right now it is around 58. 58 ounces of silver for 1 oz of gold. It has been as high as 83, and as low as 31 for the last 10 year period, but going further back in history it was around 12-15 ounces of silver to gold.

Since you own gold you want to wait until this number is as high as possible. I would usually start trying to swap the two when the GSR hits 61 or 62.

And your best bet is to own both gold and silver, they both have their beneifts and shortcomings, but it is great to own both of them. Gold is a little more stable than Silver, but the potential win fall will be greater with Silver, if it takes off(due to supply) like it should.

Not sure on your startegy, but I would split the gold this way if it was mine. I would keep 4 ounces of gold, sell/trade off 4 ounces for silver. And then sell the last ounce of gold, and put it into my Nusimatic coins(graded gold, graded pennies) you may only be able to get 1 coin for the price of an oz of gold. But if you pick the right coin, it will appreciate year or year.

If you are looking to swap gold for silver, pm me and I will give you info, on one of the best PM websites for buying/selling/trading there is. (I have done Gift deals in the 4 and 5 figures multiple times with no problems)
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Only thing I would would do that hasn't been stated is stear clear of the 100 ouncers as when it becomes time to move they can be a little hard to move as not as many people will buy a 100 oz bar from an individual. Id buy 100 1 ounce bars or 10- 10 ouncers or ase's a lot of options it depends on where premiums are when you decide to make the move
Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Only thing I would would do that hasn't been stated is stear clear of the 100 ouncers as when it becomes time to move they can be a little hard to move as not as many people will buy a 100 oz bar from an individual. Id buy 100 1 ounce bars or 10- 10 ouncers or ase's a lot of options it depends on where premiums are when you decide to make the move
This is great advice. Especially for stackers ona budget. Until you reach around $10k or more, at that point, you can sell the 100 oz bars back to APMEX for spot price(you can usually get them for .89 per oz over spot). Know you are going to get paid, and only have to deal with 1 buyer.

Now don't go buying 1,000 oz bars, lol.
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can make more money in the stock market VS PM. The main thing is to be diversified. People smarter then me will tell you don't have more than 10-20% in PM. In 25 years the market will be up and down several times. My retirement funds are split into different risk factors, High, Medium, low. Even with all the market ups and downs in the last 5 years the high risk has out performed them all. I have PM mostly in coins with numismatic value worth more than bullion value.
JJ53 is offline   Reply With Quote