Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How tight are air-tites?

1 Cap Tube? 20 Silver Eagle H 40 Direct Fit Air Tite Coin Holder Capsules | eBay

I bought those for 1 oz ASE. I have three coins from three different sellers. Two went in fine where I just had to drop it in and put the cap on. It doesn't move around at all. The third one I had to push in there to get it in. It goes in, but then is really hard to come out. I tried looking for videos of people putting their coins in, but couldn't find any.

So how tight are air-tites?

I left my coins at home, so I can't weigh them until tomorrow. They all look the exact same. I checked for all the known counterfeit flaws. But I would like to know ASAP if one or two of them are fake.
tommyVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help as I use the airtites with the foam rings on them so it's a little different story.
Texans81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Every one of my Eagles have gone in perfectly. I have never had to push one down.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Every one of my Eagles have gone in perfectly. I have never had to push one down.
That what I would think. But everything I'm reading is that fake coins are actually smaller than real ones. I guess I just have to wait until tomorrow when I can do all the easy tests.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post some pics of the coins.

I HAVE 3 TUBES/AIRTITES FROM THAT SAME LISTING. MAYBE A 39MM SLIPPED IN
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post

I will post pics when I can. I probably won't get around to it until later tonight. I can also try one of the coins I know that fits in that case or the coin that can't fit in a few different cases.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Weird... But I am only buying the black ring versions for my ASEs... Sounds to me we should all own a scale... I am going to order one on my next order for sure...
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superynaldo View Post
Weird... But I am only buying the black ring versions for my ASEs... Sounds to me we should all own a scale... I am going to order one on my next order for sure...
I work in an analytical lab, so that's my scale. I'm just trying to figure out the problem now instead of tomorrow when I actually remember to bring the coins in.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

could be that a 40mm one got slipped in too. if memory serves a silver eagle has a diameter of 40.6mm so it'd be just slightly too big to go into a 40mm direct fit airtite. my suggestion would be to take out one of the eagles that fit ok and then try to put the eagle you're having trouble with in that airtite. If it fits, then the problem is your airtite, if it doesn't, then the problem is the coin.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
could be that a 40mm one got slipped in too. if memory serves a silver eagle has a diameter of 40.6mm so it'd be just slightly too big to go into a 40mm direct fit airtite. my suggestion would be to take out one of the eagles that fit ok and then try to put the eagle you're having trouble with in that airtite. If it fits, then the problem is your airtite, if it doesn't, then the problem is the coin.
Unless the two coins that fit are fake because fake coins are slightly smaller. And the seller of the airtites sent me the wrong package because he sells a lot and mistakes happen. I really just have to weigh everything tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Update.

The two coins that can go in the airtite each weigh 31.1 g. The one coin that only goes in if I press it in lightly (but then if I try to take it out it just doesn't fall out when turning over) weights 31.3 g.

I'm guessing the extra weight added 0.5 mm to the diameter or something?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Where did you buy the overweight eagle from?
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
Where did you buy the overweight eagle from?
eBay. From a seller with 510 transactions (all of the recent ones I can see have been coins) and 99.6% feedback.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyVoltage View Post
Update.

The two coins that can go in the airtite each weigh 31.1 g. The one coin that only goes in if I press it in lightly (but then if I try to take it out it just doesn't fall out when turning over) weights 31.3 g.

I'm guessing the extra weight added 0.5 mm to the diameter or something?
31.3g is definitely overweight by too much, I believe the variance allowed by the US MINT is +/- .1 g so it could weigh 31 or 31.2, they would have melted down a real eagle that weighs 31.3g. I am not 100% sure on the varaiance allowed though, you would have to check with the us mint. But I just did a check weight on 60 eagles , and none of mine weighed 31.3g.

This is a good lesson for new stackers, BEFORE you buy any PM's buy a scale. You don't need a expensive one(it sure helps though), but anything is better than nothing. There are literally millions of dollars of fake coins being imported into the US DAILY.
And stop buying on ebay, unless you are 100% you can determine if a coin is fake. Most card collectors know how many fake autos are on ebay, will there are just as many coins, if not more. Protect yourselves.

We have two great members on here that sell all the time, Smackvay and Eskimokissers, no reason to go to ebay.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
31.3g is definitely overweight by too much, I believe the variance allowed by the US MINT is +/- .1 g so it could weigh 31 or 31.2, they would have melted down a real eagle that weighs 31.3g. I am not 100% sure on the varaiance allowed though, you would have to check with the us mint. But I just did a check weight on 60 eagles , and none of mine weighed 31.3g.

This is a good lesson for new stackers, BEFORE you buy any PM's buy a scale. You don't need a expensive one(it sure helps though), but anything is better than nothing. There are literally millions of dollars of fake coins being imported into the US DAILY.
And stop buying on ebay, unless you are 100% you can determine if a coin is fake. Most card collectors know how many fake autos are on ebay, will there are just as many coins, if not more. Protect yourselves.

We have two great members on here that sell all the time, Smackvay and Eskimokissers, no reason to go to ebay.
I read that the US Mint does not state the variance they allow. I'm also going back in forums and seeing it is believed to be 1%. I just took the diameter and thickness measurements. Diameter is less than 0.05 mm off. Thickness is exact.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

went and did some searching for things about eagle weight tolerance. came across this:

The American silver eagle bullion coin has a published weight of 31.103 grams. Not every coin is going to weigh exactly this amount but should be very close. If you get 31.3 grams this is fine. Some Silver Eagles can weigh up to 31.8 grams and this is fine. They are supposed to weigh at least 31.1 grams but the production process both at the US Mint and the Mint's suppliers are not so perfect as to be able to produce exact 31.1 weights for every coin. The point here is that the coin should be at least 31.1 grams but if it is a few tenths of a gram more, this is perfectly fine.

If you want to check the weight of a tube of silver eagles, which is twenty coins, at one time, simply weigh the entire tube filled with the twenty coins. Silver eagles come from the mint in tubes of twenty coins. If you have several tubes you want to check and do not want to take the time to weigh each coin or you just want a quick check, weigh the entire tube in one shot.

What you should get is 668 grams to 672 grams for each tube of twenty coins. 669, or 670, or 671 grams is a very common result. This includes the weight of the twenty silver eagles plus the weight of the tube itself. Say each coin weighs about 31.3 grams times 20 equals 626 grams. The tube itself may weigh a little more than one coin or around 42 grams. Each tube's weight varies somewhat also, so put them both together and you get 668 grams.

here's a video as well of a guy weighing some eagles. he's got one that's right around 31.3g and seems to indicate that's perfectly fine:

How Much Does an American Silver Eagle Coin Weigh? - YouTube

another good and easy well to tell is with a magnet. a real coin will not be magnetic, a fake one usually will.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
went and did some searching for things about eagle weight tolerance. came across this:

The American silver eagle bullion coin has a published weight of 31.103 grams. Not every coin is going to weigh exactly this amount but should be very close. If you get 31.3 grams this is fine. Some Silver Eagles can weigh up to 31.8 grams and this is fine. They are supposed to weigh at least 31.1 grams but the production process both at the US Mint and the Mint's suppliers are not so perfect as to be able to produce exact 31.1 weights for every coin. The point here is that the coin should be at least 31.1 grams but if it is a few tenths of a gram more, this is perfectly fine.

If you want to check the weight of a tube of silver eagles, which is twenty coins, at one time, simply weigh the entire tube filled with the twenty coins. Silver eagles come from the mint in tubes of twenty coins. If you have several tubes you want to check and do not want to take the time to weigh each coin or you just want a quick check, weigh the entire tube in one shot.

What you should get is 668 grams to 672 grams for each tube of twenty coins. 669, or 670, or 671 grams is a very common result. This includes the weight of the twenty silver eagles plus the weight of the tube itself. Say each coin weighs about 31.3 grams times 20 equals 626 grams. The tube itself may weigh a little more than one coin or around 42 grams. Each tube's weight varies somewhat also, so put them both together and you get 668 grams.

here's a video as well of a guy weighing some eagles. he's got one that's right around 31.3g and seems to indicate that's perfectly fine:

How Much Does an American Silver Eagle Coin Weigh? - YouTube

another good and easy well to tell is with a magnet. a real coin will not be magnetic, a fake one usually will.
good info... I will be weighing all my ASEs that I got... I see many scales out there... what's some good ones???
thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

almost 10k sold. Id say these are good. Going to pick on up

AWS Digital Scale 1000g x 0 1g Jewelry Gold Silver Coin Gram Pocket Size Herb | eBay
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
almost 10k sold. Id say these are good. Going to pick on up

AWS Digital Scale 1000g x 0 1g Jewelry Gold Silver Coin Gram Pocket Size Herb | eBay
$10??? I am willing to spend WAY MORE than that if I need to...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Scales & Gold Testing - Coin & Currency Supplies
Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
damn Blake... that's TOO many choices...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thank you for the research.

I use a Mettler Toledo XP205. So if you have $10,000-$15,000 to spend go for it hah. I just use the scale that's in my research lab.

But I need a more accurate way to measure diameter. Mine only goes by 0.05 mm. That's why I know it is less than 0.05 mm and not the exact. It can't fit in the one measurement, but slides through the next. I'm guessing that's where the extra weight went because I watched a YouTube video of someone measure coins and it varied. It just so happens that my coin has to squeeze in the airtite.

Last edited by tommyVoltage; 10-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superynaldo View Post
$10??? I am willing to spend WAY MORE than that if I need to...
I have a $10 scale, that is nearly as good as a $1,000 scale I own, just remember it will only weigh up to 1,000g, so it will only weigh up to 32 oz pieces(approx). If you don't plan on picking up any bigger bars. That scale is will work, (just test it when you get it, any $ bill should weigh 1g)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

heck for $10 I picked up 10 of them as at a show they go for 20 $$$$