Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silver/Gold coin newbie

so i was never interested in silver or gold coins, i figured you can only obtain them from the Mint...but I then I accidentally found out that silver quarters nickels and dimes could be in our 'piggybanks' or couch based on the years...I was shocked to say the least. So i'd look for months nothing...look like a bum/crackhead on the streets looking for change...nothing. Then I saw a suggestion to pick up a roll of half dollars at the bank.

I picked up three half dollar rolls and only found two...and they were 40%, bummed no 63's, but better than nothing....

just thought i'd share...any suggestions or comments to help a newbie out? I'm a complete noob...I don't want specific items or years like certain "stackers" just affordable items i can get my hands on...any advice?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

well first of all, the idea that you can only get the coins from the mint is wrong. there are several reputable online retailers that sell gold and silver coins of all different sorts. APMEX is probably one of the larger and better known ones. might give them a look
Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks, but what the heck is a PAMP bar? hahahahaha
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Buy European Silver Online | Buy Pamp Suisse (Silver Bars & Pendants) | APMEX.com
Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks texans...what about 999.9 FINE GOLD...is that always considered 24K?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

yep... that's as good as it gets
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

and consider yourself extremely lucky hitting 2 in 3 rolls. I have gone through at least 100 boxes over the years with no silver at all. OTOH I had a box that had 12 total rolls worth of all 90% halves.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
and consider yourself extremely lucky hitting 2 in 3 rolls. I have gone through at least 100 boxes over the years with no silver at all. OTOH I had a box that had 12 total rolls worth of all 90% halves.
Holy crap!!!! 12 rolls with 90% that's impressive...even I know that; how many rolls in a box? And were all 64 or minted rolls?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

There are 50 rolls in a box. They were a mix of Franklin's and Kennedy's, mostly Franklin's. This was in 2004 or 2005, back then I would get between 35-50 silver halves per box. I haven't done it in a about 2 years, but now you are lucky to find even 1(usually 40%) per box.

it was great when I was a teenager in the mid 90's. I would get $50fv of 90% silver every week from the bank(mother was the branch manager, and all the tellers, pulled the silver for me). Little did they know that $50 is now worth almost $800.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's crazy. I'd guess that finding just one full silver roll nowadays is extremely rare. I think most of the sorter machines pull them out. Plus if you had a roll searcher in your area, odds are those rolls never leave your bank. Seems like you have to jump around to diff banks to have a decent chance.

My first silver ever was .45 cents change one morning from my regular corner store.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post
That's crazy. I'd guess that finding just one full silver roll nowadays is extremely rare. I think most of the sorter machines pull them out. Plus if you had a roll searcher in your area, odds are those rolls never leave your bank. Seems like you have to jump around to diff banks to have a decent chance.

My first silver ever was .45 cents change one morning from my regular corner store.
not just 1 roll, 1 coin, people that still sort would go crazy to find a full roll now. that is like getting the top hit, in any card product. There are tons of people searching for silver. I have had it good, because my mom, and my girlfriend both work at a bank, so can get whatever comes in there. I have only had to go to their branch. But I know people who sort $20-25k a week in halves, and they go to 30-40 banks a week. Crazy, especially now, because with the low amount of silver out there, it is more a labor of love, unless you get lucky.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

at least you when you spend 2k in buying rolls, after sorting you still have that 2k....
unlike chasing that top hit lol
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post
at least you when you spend 2k in buying rolls, after sorting you still have that 2k....
unlike chasing that top hit lol
Yup, all you need is the bankroll to start, and if you do hit anything, you are just making a profit, you can't "lose" any money(besides your time, and gas to get to and from the banks)

Good thing with halves is you can search a whole box in roughly 5 minutes so it goes quickly.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup, all you need is the bankroll to start, and if you do hit anything, you are just making a profit, you can't "lose" any money(besides your time, and gas to get to and from the banks)

Good thing with halves is you can search a whole box in roughly 5 minutes so it goes quickly.
5 minutes? Hahaha it took me 15 to go through 3 rolls!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03supto View Post
5 minutes? Hahaha it took me 15 to go through 3 rolls!
once you've been at it for a while and know what you're looking for it'll go a little quicker I imagine
Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

I would take a razor and slice the roll, and just edge check each coin for silver.. Then retape the roll.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the help fellas....which safes are best against fire an affordable..I figure the more u spend the better but if rather not give an arm for it/them? What do u recommend? Brand/sizes/ price??
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the help fellas....which safes are best against fire an affordable..I figure the more u spend the better but if rather not give an arm for it/them? What do u recommend? Brand/sizes/ price??
I bought a 10 gun fire safe on sale at docks a few months ago for $300. It was regularly 500 but it is plenty big for the few guns I have, ammo and gold and silver.
Wickedroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Well you can buy a pretty good safe from $400 all the way up to $20k+
if you are going to use the safe for PM's(which everyone buying them should own at least 1 safe) just check the fire rating I believe my main safe is rated for 1 hr at 1600 degrees.

But really from what I have read, most house fires are around 1,000 to 1,200 degrees( unless someone commits arson), and the melting point of silver is 1763 degrees, so unless you have someone break in your house and pour gas all over your safe, you should be ok.
But make sure to buy silica gel packs to absorb moisture inside the safe(well help silver from tarnishing)
Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Well you can buy a pretty good safe from $400 all the way up to $20k+
if you are going to use the safe for PM's(which everyone buying them should own at least 1 safe) just check the fire rating I believe my main safe is rated for 1 hr at 1600 degrees.

But really from what I have read, most house fires are around 1,000 to 1,200 degrees( unless someone commits arson), and the melting point of silver is 1763 degrees, so unless you have someone break in your house and pour gas all over your safe, you should be ok.
But make sure to buy silica gel packs to absorb moisture inside the safe(well help silver from tarnishing)
I appreciate each and all your responses....think I'm gonna quit the hobby....and grow up and be a man with precious...it's gonna suck though if and when I do I'll lose at least 30-40%
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

I sold most of my cards during preseason and bought metals.

I did get a new panini mister box yesterday for the hell of it. I would have much rather sunk that 20 in silver after busting lol
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I appreciate each and all your responses....think I'm gonna quit the hobby....and grow up and be a man with precious...it's gonna suck though if and when I do I'll lose at least 30-40%
No need to quit the hobby, quit the business aspect. I still buy a box here and there, but I don't worry at all if I make money or not. I only collect 2guys(both UFC fighters), and I don't buy cards to "invest" in anymore, in any sport. If I am buying the card for any other reason than enjoyment of owning it, I don't make the purchase(if the thought of the future value ever crosses my mind, I back away).

Start out small learn about PM's, DCA(dollar cost average), GSR(Gold to silver ratio, which is a great way to learn when to flip your gold for silver and vice versa, to really profit big), and buy a scale right away.