Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
You think its safe to buy graded coins on ebay that are sealed?
How long have you been buying graded coins? and what coins are you looking to buy?

If less than 10 years, than no. and DO NOT waste your money on any modern graded coin, you will be like the thousands of others that get ripped off everyday. Nearly Every modern coin is either a MS69-70 right from the mint(usually split evenly, so all of the idiots wasting double the price of a 69 to a 70, and you cannot tell the difference unless you have years in the industry, and look at them under a loupe)

I could spend less than an hour on ebay and find at least 1,000 fake graded coins by both NGC and PCGS, it is extremely easy to crack a case pull out the valuable coin and the NGC/PCGS coin label, throw the label into a new holder(which are sold in bundles of 10,000, so think how many fake coins are really out there)

It seems like every one who is new to metals, wants to go the graded route, even though, it is the tiniest subset of the market, and the highest level of fraud in the industry. Stick with ASE's or large bars(10, 50 or 100 oz) and you will profit over the years. When I bought into metals in 2001, and then when I sold out, I made more in profits from metals, than I will make at my job in the next 40 years. Just do research and learn when is the time to buy, and now is not it.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

So, turns out this guy bought them locally outside of a coin shop from some random guy that he trusted. Oh lord.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Some real Eagles will have a W under the Eagle it means the coin was made at Westpoint MInt. Did you try and use a magnet on the coins? Real coins you can either drop on a table or hit with an object and they will make a very distinct tone. Is there any toning on the coins? Some silver coins will tone over long periods of time and toning is a good thing with collectors.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_Fan View Post
Some real Eagles will have a W under the Eagle it means the coin was made at Westpoint MInt. Did you try and use a magnet on the coins? Real coins you can either drop on a table or hit with an object and they will make a very distinct tone. Is there any toning on the coins? Some silver coins will tone over long periods of time and toning is a good thing with collectors.
The only ASE's with a W, are Burnished Eagles(completely different finish), and they sell for a lot more than bullion eagles. Don't ever hit an ASE with any object, just damaging the coin, especially when newer fakes can easily pass the ring test. These are 2013 Eagles, there should not be any toning on a brand new eagle unless someone manipulated the coin.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
The only ASE's with a W, are Burnished Eagles(completely different finish), and they sell for a lot more than bullion eagles. Don't ever hit an ASE with any object, just damaging the coin, especially when newer fakes can easily pass the ring test. These are 2013 Eagles, there should not be any toning on a brand new eagle unless someone manipulated the coin.
I was just trying to give basic information because they didn't know what the W meant and as if it were on a coin it was fake. I would hope people would have common sense and not hit the coin on the surface but on the edge I can tell and have yet to find a fake coin that makes the very distinct silver tone. I would highly suggest to only buy from coin shops or people you know to be legit anyway. I realize the 2013 should not have toning I was only making a comment that silver coins do sometimes get toning over of time. I never suggest that these coins were real or fake I was only making some suggestions for future reference is all.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

I've seen toning on 2013 coins before but not specifically eagles, seen them on the silver libertads especially the 1/20 and 1/10 ones
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #32 (permalink)

When you buy on E bay you need to buy from a real coin dealer with a brick and mortar store. Bullion you buy from ampex, sunshine or any of the legit big time bullion sellers. I normally only buy graded coins from reputable dealers/sellers. I have a coin show i go to 4 times a year and normally just buy there. I have never bought any coins off any of the coin forums i am a member of. I also belong to a watch forum that people sell watches on. They range in prices from a few hundred to over 10 thousand. I don't see me PP or WT that type of money for a picture on the internet.
JJ53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ53 View Post
When you buy on E bay you need to buy from a real coin dealer with a brick and mortar store. Bullion you buy from ampex, sunshine or any of the legit big time bullion sellers. I normally only buy graded coins from reputable dealers/sellers. I have a coin show i go to 4 times a year and normally just buy there. I have never bought any coins off any of the coin forums i am a member of. I also belong to a watch forum that people sell watches on. They range in prices from a few hundred to over 10 thousand. I don't see me PP or WT that type of money for a picture on the internet.
I've sent 10 grand gift on this forum
You have to know who you are dealing with
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
I've sent 10 grand gift on this forum
You have to know who you are dealing with

Very true if you know the person and trust them send as a gift. I have read to many posts on forums. where a reputable person with dozens of sold high dollar watches. Burns someone for whatever reason. One Dude got a brick in his priority box. The other person got a two dollar timex. For 10k i drive or get on a plane to buy in person. For <$500.00 with a reputable forum seller i take a chance and PP.
JJ53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
you still have to be cautious because there are counterfeit pcgs cases from China. Just like the fake psa and bgs cases...
fake bgs? i thought those were impossible....
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Did you ever call the popo?