Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fake American Eagle

Well, I bought this lot on eBay and I believe they are fake. They don't look right and the size is off a little bit, it seems, from my other real ones. The weigh the exact same as mine so that will not help. Is there any other way I can test to see if they are real or not?

Thanks in advance

2013 1 oz Silver American Eagle Packs of 5 Free Shipping | eBay
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very interesting. How much off is the size? Is it the same year eagle you are comparing it too? Maybe you could take them to a coin shop of a place that buys silver and have them look at it. Let us know
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Very interesting. How much off is the size? Is it the same year eagle you are comparing it too? Maybe you could take them to a coin shop of a place that buys silver and have them look at it. Let us know
Very small, but enough too notice. That's what I was thinking about doing. May not need to though. Pretty damn sure they are fake now.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here are the pics of one

Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Text alignment. Check out the "M" in AMERICA on the reverse. Check out the styling vs. a legit SAE. The center part of the "M" on a real coin does not connect at the lowest point of the text, as this one pictured does. It should be only about half way down. Also, the stars above the Eagle's head do not appear to be centered. The highest tip of the wing feathers on the right side should be centered under the "M", not at the final down strike of the "M".

The fakes are very good, as you said, because they get the weights right. However, they struggle with the striking and text accuracies. Also, what the heck is the marking under the olive branch in the eagle's claw?

---------
Added for reference - and I just noticed it looks like they screwed up the "U" in UNITED, too. No tail on the right (it seems), but it's blurry. "-ONE DOLLAR" vs. "~ONE DOLLAR".

Last edited by nabzy28; 01-13-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: photo
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Text alignment. Check out the "M" in AMERICA on the reverse. Check out the styling vs. a legit SAE. The center part of the "M" on a real coin does not connect at the lowest point of the text, as this one pictured does. It should be only about half way down. Also, the stars above the Eagle's head do not appear to be centered. The highest tip of the wing feathers on the right side should be centered under the "M", not at the final down strike of the "M".

The fakes are very good, as you said, because they get the weights right. However, they struggle with the striking and text accuracies. Also, what the heck is the marking under the olive branch in the eagle's claw?
It was a W. Noticed that once I took the pic. They are fake, several others confirmed that too. There are way too many lines in the shield as well. Claim has already been filed. Hopefully I get every penny back. Shouldn't really have a problem with that though.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tell you what - you didn't get what's pictured, that's for sure. The one in the photo, at just a quick look over, seems legit. The "2013" text isn't the same as what you have pictured. Ugh - somebody bought 3 lots of them. I'd report it to eBay ASAP and get those other people notified.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I do not mean this in any type of derogatory manner whatsoever - this is why folks need to be super careful in buying precious metals on eBay.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Tell you what - you didn't get what's pictured, that's for sure. The one in the photo, at just a quick look over, seems legit. The "2013" text isn't the same as what you have pictured. Ugh - somebody bought 3 lots of them. I'd report it to eBay ASAP and get those other people notified.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I do not mean this in any type of derogatory manner whatsoever - this is why folks need to be super careful in buying precious metals on eBay.
I agree with you 100%. My claim has already been filed. If there was a way to notify the others, I would. Hopefully they are able to catch it.

Learned my lesson now though. Didn't think they could be fake.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Faking U.S. currency.... technically it's currency... as it can be spent as such...

you should not only file a claim.. .but flat out bust this guy ... FBI.. not kidding.. they LOVE dealing with counterfeiters

My brother had a secret service guy knock on his door once because a guy as his job was photocopying $20 bills... they do NOT mess around

Last edited by ac-n-mike; 01-13-2014 at 07:10 PM.
ac-n-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post

Learned my lesson now though. Didn't think they could be fake.
These are very commonly faked coins.

Be sure to report it to eBay. If you can't get a return, contact the US Mint as well, you might want to send them a coin.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you leave the negative? If not, someone else received fakes as well.

This seller previously sold expensive 'incense.'
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Did you leave the negative? If not, someone else received fakes as well.

This seller previously sold expensive 'incense.'
I did not leave the negative. Wasn't sure if it would hurt my case at all. Probably going to leave it now though
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

I thought this was going to be the 2008 with 2007 reverse. Never knew they counterfeited these...good thing I don't buy loose ASE's from ebay! Thanks for the heads up!

BTW anyone have any of the '08 with '07 reverse?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

I saw those same auctions, price was a bit too good to be true. Glad I passed on those. Hope you get your money back.
bjtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
I thought this was going to be the 2008 with 2007 reverse. Never knew they counterfeited these...good thing I don't buy loose ASE's from ebay! Thanks for the heads up!

BTW anyone have any of the '08 with '07 reverse?

EVERY coin ever produced that has any PM in it, has been faked. There are MILLIONS of these being imported DAILY into the US. They also fake the mint tubes, the green monster boxes, and the plastic straps on brand new monster boxes, just buying by the tube or monster box, does not mean you do not have fakes(not just directed at you, but everyone who buys PM's)

DO NOT BUY PM's on ebay, unless you know the seller from a coin forum
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-n-mike View Post
you should not only file a claim.. .but flat out bust this guy ... FBI.. not kidding.. they LOVE dealing with counterfeiters

My brother had a secret service guy knock on his door once because a guy as his job was photocopying $20 bills... they do NOT mess around

I fully agree with this. Anything that can stop these guys, especially when it's as easy as reporting it and letting the FBI do its job, should be done. I got counterfeit $5 bills as payment many years ago. I called the local police and reported it. No joke - within 15 minutes I had 2 FBI agents in the building to confiscate the bills.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

I say it on here 2 or 3 times a week do NOT NOT NOT buy from ebay
was the 5-10 bucks you saved worth it? im not calling you out but sometimes the $1 per coin isn't worth saving. the 2 keys to collecting metal
1. NO EBAY
2. Know who you are buying from
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Seller just sent me a full refund. Wasn't expecting that, figured I would have to go through eBay. Weird
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post
Seller just sent me a full refund. Wasn't expecting that, figured I would have to go through eBay. Weird
Because he doesn't want any more negatives or the FBI on his ass.

Still leave a negative and contact your local police.
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Damn that sucks stick with smavkvay and spend the few extra bucks. Not only will you get a good product but you'll be dealing with a first class seller.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
I say it on here 2 or 3 times a week do NOT NOT NOT buy from ebay
was the 5-10 bucks you saved worth it? im not calling you out but sometimes the $1 per coin isn't worth saving. the 2 keys to collecting metal
1. NO EBAY
2. Know who you are buying from
You think its safe to buy graded coins on ebay that are sealed?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
You think its safe to buy graded coins on ebay that are sealed?
you still have to be cautious because there are counterfeit pcgs cases from China. Just like the fake psa and bgs cases...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Look at the font on the year. Not even close.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

If you buy from ebay just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. I have never had a problem buying coins on ebay. Just make sure you do your homework. I'm glad you got your money back.
purejd86p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

I agree...go to the fbi on this one. Odds are he's running a much larger operation.

China produces fakes of just about every single silver coin produced. And a simple silver tester kit would have revealed that your coins most likely didn't even have any real silver content. Flat out fraud.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote