Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Might have finally gotten my first fakes.

I recently purchased bars from a brand new seller, which should have been my first clue. Of course they use a stock photo and horrible listing capabilities. They mostly C&Ped from other places.

Something told me this would be the case...but like an idiot I gave it a try. Of course, they did not come in the original plastic like Scottsdale usually sends it in, which is red flag number one. Given, they came in nice plastic cases, but still, a red flag.

So, once I set it next to a bar that I'm 99% sure is real. (Pretty sure it's a bar I bought directly from Scottsdale that is still in the original plastic.) I notice that a few things are off.

1.) The lettering on it is bigger. They are a bit more "flat" I guess you would say, spaced differently.
2.) The Lion's head has some defects. Missing the dot in the bottom of the mane, the jewel just above the brim is empty instead of filled, the brim is filled instead of empty, and just the general look is more "mashed" together.
3.) The markings on the back are bigger and more "flat" again like the letters. Plus not as deep recessed as the real bar.

I plan on taking pictures here shortly. Haven't had a chance to weigh it or do a specific gravity test or anything like that as I just got home late last night and they were waiting for me here.

They do say they take returns, which is good as they might be getting them back. Of course then in another part, they say they don't...but as I am pretty sure these are fake (unless someone has bars like this they know are real and Scottsdale has changed things since their stock photos on ebay), these will be going back, whether the seller likes it or not.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004 (Needs heavy updating.)

Last edited by wju2004; 01-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Scottsdale Silver Website Link to their 1oz bars. Hard to tell comparing the website and your pics.
Scottsdale Silver & Gold LLC

How much you pay for it? 10 pack at Scottsdale is $223.89, so $22.38 each. If you got them under $20, I would say that is a fake. JMO

Last edited by bradjames12; 01-22-2014 at 12:37 PM.
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
Scottsdale Silver Website Link to their 1oz bars. Hard to tell comparing the website and your pics.
Scottsdale Silver & Gold LLC

How much you pay for it? 10 pack at Scottsdale is $223.89, so $22.38 each. If you got them under $20, I would say that is a fake. JMO
They weren't that cheap as they were just two bars together, so obviously they go for more. I was getting them close to the price of a single bar in a 10 pack.

I did e-mail Scottsdale and they confirmed they are fake.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good luck on returning them. That sucks.
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
Good luck on returning them. That sucks.
Already started the process through e-bay. They had a 14 day return policy on them so I started the process through ebay and marked them as defective since they are fake. Seller has to pay for me to return them.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

you go man on what site did you get them off of if ebay can you tell the username so people can know for there use
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

and I repeat NO EBAY!!!!!!!
I hate that for you and hope everything works out for you.
I like the Scottsdale stuff they make nice bars
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Hahaha. Considering I've bought a fair amount on ebay and not yet had any trouble until this time (though probably half was directly from Scottsdale), I've done pretty well.

The username is bruhius2013 and he was quick to apologize and gave me no troubles trying to defend they were real. Not going to say that he knew or not, as I don't know, but with the stock photos, it leads me to think maybe he did and of how the poor people that bought the other bars were ripped off and will probably never see their money again (unless he is truthful and actually reaches out..riiiight.)

At least I was fortunate enough to know the real things in this case and could spot it rather quickly. And plus not even having to pay for my return shipping.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
We both say this everyday, but everyday there is someone new on here talking about buying on ebay.

And it makes no sense when any silver or gold can be bought from any number of legit sites for a lot cheaper than ebay.

If you guys like to pay such high premiums, that are the norm on ebay. Come deal with me. I can get anything from 1 ASE to a monster box of Gold eagles. Or if you want some of the best deals on silver, just ask smackvay
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
We both say this everyday, but everyday there is someone new on here talking about buying on ebay.

And it makes no sense when any silver or gold can be bought from any number of legit sites for a lot cheaper than ebay.

If you guys like to pay such high premiums, that are the norm on ebay. Come deal with me. I can get anything from 1 ASE to a monster box of Gold eagles. Or if you want some of the best deals on silver, just ask smackvay
Well, it's cheaper if you are putting in $200+ at one time, but if you are just buying up single bars, it's usually a bit cheaper on e-bay if you wait for the right auctions. Obviously in this case, it was a matter of too good to be true. At least the seller and e-bay are making this very easy and I'm not out a cent.

I will probably be buying more in bulk from now on, so probably watch here and talk to you guys more often, but far from new buying bullion or ebaying for bullion.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Is it fake silver or just fake branding but still real silver?
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Is it fake silver or just fake branding but still real silver?
Never really got to the point of testing that. Once I knew the branding was fake, I really did not go any further. I will say even the shine itself was a bit off for what I'm used to seeing with Scottsdale bars. I think the plastic cases they were in are the type that you almost have to destroy the case to get it out, so I figured it best just to return them as is.