Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where do you sell your metals?

Im a newbie when it comes to purchasing precious metals and I see all these sites for buying them, but when the time comes where do you sell them?

Ebay seems way out of the question because of fees.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

craigslist, Apmex, local coin shops etc. Pretty much any place you can buy metals, you can also sell. Ebay is a last resort for sure...at least for me.
webb_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb_jr View Post
craigslist, Apmex, local coin shops etc. Pretty much any place you can buy metals, you can also sell. Ebay is a last resort for sure...at least for me.
interesting, do the coin shops usually pay at spot?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howethegreat View Post
interesting, do the coin shops usually pay at spot?
nobody pays spot because these are all businesses.

Pawn shops are going to offer you some of your worst premium/spread from spot. You best bet is if you have any precious metals refineries local to you.

Most of the big precious metals dealers are going to have anywhere from a 15%-28% spread on their buyback.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Actually ebay is a great place to sell but not to buy because of fakes. Its good to sell because people will pay way over spot and that will cover the ebay fees.
Wickedroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sold my stack of ASEs and other stuff to board member smackvay.
Easy dealing with him, and got paid immediately.
bradjames12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Im just going to throw this out so everyone knows. I can/will pay more for your gold and silver than ANY PAWN SHOP OR BULLION STORE OUT THEIR. Ask the 300 people that I have bought off of. If you are in a pinch or just want to move some metal hit me up as I always have some paypal laying around to get rid of.
If your not into dealing with an individual Apmex is your next place you can try but it takes a bit to get paid and you have to send your stuff to them they go thru it then cut you a check which takes 2 weeks. Super reliable company as far as not giving you the shaft as far as that goes.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Apmex would also buy some of your precious metals
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

In the past I've always just sold to the local jewelry store. I only sell when I'm out of it anyway, so it doesn't feel as bad to lose that $1, $2 when I do sell. I've not sold any in a while, I've only been buying. Silver is dirt cheap right now, great time to buy IMHO
Old 02-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedroller View Post
Actually ebay is a great place to sell but not to buy because of fakes. Its good to sell because people will pay way over spot and that will cover the ebay fees.

Yes Ebay buyers always pay over spot or melt. The premium Bullion ASE, Maple leafs, Kooks go for way over spot. Why people will pay $25 for a ASE bullion coin when spot is $20.00 makes me laugh. I realize people like them and they carry a collectors premium. But i would rather have a Morgan CC or a 1909svdb LWC,1922 no d LWC with a SR or any other key date coin VS bullion. Bullion is worth spot plus or minus depending if your selling or buying. Key dates go up and rarely go down.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Probably ebay if I do sell my silver.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

I rarely sell PM's but ebay is a solid option.

Webstore.com is also a good option since they don't charge any fees for selling.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ53 View Post
Yes Ebay buyers always pay over spot or melt. The premium Bullion ASE, Maple leafs, Kooks go for way over spot. Why people will pay $25 for a ASE bullion coin when spot is $20.00 makes me laugh. I realize people like them and they carry a collectors premium. But i would rather have a Morgan CC or a 1909svdb LWC,1922 no d LWC with a SR or any other key date coin VS bullion. Bullion is worth spot plus or minus depending if your selling or buying. Key dates go up and rarely go down.
Yeah well u can't buy at spot either so your point is moot
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ53 View Post
I have found the reason Ebayers that buy Bullion online Pay premium for certain types/refineries has to do with identification, not collectible value. Meaning when you look at a bar of fine silver and you see its Johnson Matthey, your buyer knows its legit right off the bat, is ready to deal and is often also ready to pay more for it. This is esp true of gold, where certain Swiss Assayers carry premiums far exceeding other Bars. Although I buy a little of my metal on Ebay when the price is right, I agree that there are other more frugal places and sites to buy your bling....
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysBench View Post
I have found the reason Ebayers that buy Bullion online Pay premium for certain types/refineries has to do with identification, not collectible value. Meaning when you look at a bar of fine silver and you see its Johnson Matthey, your buyer knows its legit right off the bat, is ready to deal and is often also ready to pay more for it. This is esp true of gold, where certain Swiss Assayers carry premiums far exceeding other Bars. Although I buy a little of my metal on Ebay when the price is right, I agree that there are other more frugal places and sites to buy your bling....
What most people don't realize is their is more fake jm bars(and other brands) than real ones
deals can be found on ebay but their is a lot of better deals in other places
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howethegreat View Post
Im a newbie when it comes to purchasing precious metals and I see all these sites for buying them, but when the time comes where do you sell them?

Ebay seems way out of the question because of fees.
Selling them here on BO or other forums is a good option. There are quite a few of us buying/selling on here.

eBay/PP fees run me about 10%, not bad but it can be a lot of work so I usually put harder to sell pieces on there. Popping a few coins on a forum usually nets me less but it's often worth it.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

I've not sold to him, but have heard many good things about smackvay on this board.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Boo

I have not sold to them yet but I have bought from them...goldmasters.net

Their buying prices aren't bad compared to spot.

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/klay22/
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote