Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found a necklace but

My sister found a necklace under a rock and gave it to me. I have a couple and mine say .925. The clasp is missing but the other side says 10 kt. I'm on vacation and took it to a local pawn shop. A worker feels it for 5 seconds and says its real but it's sterling silver and it's scrap jewelry. I thought he would do some testing like on pawn stars. I'm assume since it's sterling it would be worth like a buck or 2. Why does it have 10 kt if it's sterling silver? The necklace looks like this. Thanks
Wholesale Lots 5pcs 925 Sterling Silver 2mm Italy Figaro Chain Necklace 16" 30" | eBay
ucfkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

did you sell it? if not take it to another place and don't tell them you found it on a beach. if they say silver too then it probably is.

is it yellow or white in color? if it has 10k on it its prob gold not silver in my opinion. they do make gold plated silver but it doesn't usually say 10k on it.
jk1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1937 View Post
did you sell it? if not take it to another place and don't tell them you found it on a beach. if they say silver too then it probably is.

is it yellow or white in color? if it has 10k on it its prob gold not silver in my opinion. they do make gold plated silver but it doesn't usually say 10k on it.
I still have it. It's white in color and this means nothing but it's kinda heavy. On one side it says 10 kt and the other side has a symbol that I can't make out. The pawn shop looked like they had no idea on items. $12 for used blu-rays, $800 for invicta watches and $1500 for a dirty burberry purse.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would guess it's 10k White Gold. I would absolutely take it somewhere else, and have it scratch tested.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep in mind just because it's stamped 10K or whatever it doesn't mean anything!
I have seen fake gold chains stamped 14K before.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

sounds like its either 10k white gold or fake and just stamped 10k. but most likely not silver like the shop said.
jk1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
I would guess it's 10k White Gold. I would absolutely take it somewhere else, and have it scratch tested.
I thought he would test it but he just feels it. I'll take it somewhere else when I get home. I'm on my iPad and I tried loading a pic of it on a site but it came out blurry. If someone wants to see it, I would need to email the picture.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfkid View Post
I thought he would test it but he just feels it. I'll take it somewhere else when I get home. I'm on my iPad and I tried loading a pic of it on a site but it came out blurry. If someone wants to see it, I would need to email the picture.
There are people who can feel gold in their hand and tell if its real or not because they are around gold all the time. It's like some cashier can tell if a bill is real or not just but the way the texture feels in their hand.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had a similar experience with my old wedding ring, it was a cheapie white gold ring I think we paid $250 for retail. Found it about a year ago, and took it in to sell it. First 2 places told me it was junk and offered me $20 scrap for it. Took it to a 3rd place, they scratch tested it, and gave me $120.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote