Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bars or Coins??

Sorry if this has been asked, but which is the better "investment"? Would it be better to buy silver bars, or silver coins? Or does it not really matter. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bars/rounds are usually made by private manufacturers ie engelhard/apmex/jm/sunshine/etc. They would be the cheapest to attain(w/ exception to collectible ones).
Coins are usually made from the government with a monetary denomination, like the silver american eagle one ounce $1. IMO coins wound be the better bet, but carry a higher premium.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Bars/rounds are usually made by private manufacturers ie engelhard/apmex/jm/sunshine/etc. They would be the cheapest to attain(w/ exception to collectible ones).
Coins are usually made from the government with a monetary denomination, like the silver american eagle one ounce $1. IMO coins wound be the better bet, but carry a higher premium.
That's what I was thinking. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

generic bars or rounds if you just want them for silver content.

Government bullion coins if you want them for "collection" purposes.

I like coins. the generics are just that...generic and boring. But cheaper....
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also take into acct, what your plans are with the Pm's if you plan on moving them fast if there is a big upswing in the market. You would be best off with ASE'S, you can unload millions of them in minutes if need be. Some times buyers are less likely to buy up generics just as fast.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ya, Im looking for something that I can sell off quick if silver takes off. Thanks everyone. I think I am finally starting to understand all this
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

What are ASE's if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

American Silver Eagle
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitten View Post
American Silver Eagle
Ah i see. Thank you
Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDFR33K View Post
What are ASE's if you don't mind me asking?
They also go by SAEs; Silver American Eagles.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like coins, ASEs and Maples. It seems like they are more readily movable. I prefer the Maples as they are .999 pure as opposed to .99 pure silver. They also can be had at less of a premium.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you're looking to buy and move them when the market turns, why don't you buy stocks? Granted the majority aren't backed by the actual metal they say they are, but if you're just looking to sell them anyway it doesn't matter.

SAE/ASE's have the added numismatic value (provided they are graded) and bullion is just that. Bullion. The SAE/ASE's will appear to have a higher premium due to the numismatic value and the bullion will have a lower premium.

Depending on who you sell to and when, any of the gold/silver shops will buy either of them. As long as you know what the spot price is you can haggle to lower the premium.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfuji View Post
If you're looking to buy and move them when the market turns, why don't you buy stocks? Granted the majority aren't backed by the actual metal they say they are, but if you're just looking to sell them anyway it doesn't matter.

SAE/ASE's have the added numismatic value (provided they are graded) and bullion is just that. Bullion. The SAE/ASE's will appear to have a higher premium due to the numismatic value and the bullion will have a lower premium.

Depending on who you sell to and when, any of the gold/silver shops will buy either of them. As long as you know what the spot price is you can haggle to lower the premium.
I defiantly am going to buy stocks. I just want to get in the silver game as well. I know silver is not going to send me into early retirement. I am going to collect the coins/bars I like but wanted to know what would be the best for an investment as well. I'm just getting in to all this and wanted to get a feel with what the boards think and what I am finding out through the Internet.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
I like coins, ASEs and Maples. It seems like they are more readily movable. I prefer the Maples as they are .9999 pure as opposed to .999 pure silver. They also can be had at less of a premium.
Missing a couple 9s there.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

invest in silver mining .

or

This crazy stuff i found. I am in the wrong investments. WTFFFFFF
psa slabbed
amazingpacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutDaStats View Post
I defiantly am going to buy stocks. I just want to get in the silver game as well. I know silver is not going to send me into early retirement. I am going to collect the coins/bars I like but wanted to know what would be the best for an investment as well. I'm just getting in to all this and wanted to get a feel with what the boards think and what I am finding out through the Internet.
Ok cool. I've got a bunch of AGQ (2x or 3x hyperfund, I can't remember which).

For long term I would go with the eagles. The numismatic value will begin to add up as time goes on.

For the mid to short term ups and down, which it sounds like you want, I would go with the standard bullion. Just as easy to sell and you aren't paying as much premium.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you to everyone who helped me out. I now have a feel of things. Thanks again
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Be careful... A bullion round is not the same thing as a coin. Bullion rounds (which some erroneously call coins) can be made by either a private manufacture or a government mint (US,CANADA).

Bullion rounds generally do not have any numismatic value in the way that legal tender gold and silver coins do.

If you are investing for the pure intrinsic value of the metal then I suggest 100oz bars, as they tend to be the lowest over spot.

Most orders I fill for my clients who make large investments or to insure their wealth are done so through 100oz bars.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Be careful... A bullion round is not the same thing as a coin. Bullion rounds (which some erroneously call coins) can be made by either a private manufacture or a government mint (US,CANADA).

Bullion rounds generally do not have any numismatic value in the way that legal tender gold and silver coins do.

If you are investing for the pure intrinsic value of the metal then I suggest 100oz bars, as they tend to be the lowest over spot.

Most orders I fill for my clients who make large investments or to insure their wealth are done so through 100oz bars.
100% correct...rounds/bars are made by private minting companies...they only hold their intrinsic value of whatever metal is in it. Single ounce rounds/bars have the highest premium compared to higher weight rounds/bars.

If you are looking to invest strictly on making $$$ then buy bulk...the more you can buy at one time the better.

Coins are legal tender (granted no one takes it as such). Thus that is why on a 1 oz gold coin (AGE) you will see $50...now the intrinsic value is much higher than $50 but it still has a legal tender of $50 as it is minted by the U.S. Mint.

People use coins and rounds interchangeably but they really are different.

Last edited by John91C; 08-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

I will post 1 simple fact.

If silver goes to 10 cents an ounce, a $1 coin is still worth $1

Always go with coins
Old 08-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
100% correct...rounds/bars are made by private minting companies...they only hold their intrinsic value of whatever metal is in it. Single ounce rounds/bars have the highest premium compared to higher weight rounds/bars.

If you are looking to invest strictly on making $$$ then buy bulk...the more you can buy at one time the better.

Coins are legal tender (granted no one takes it as such). Thus that is why on a 1 oz gold coin (AGE) you will see $50...now the intrinsic value is much higher than $50 but it still has a legal tender of $50 as it is minted by the U.S. Mint.

People use coins and rounds interchangeably but they really are different.
AGE's are $20 Gold pieces

The 2009 Gold Buffalo is a $50 Half Union.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
AGE's are $20 Gold pieces
That is incorrect.

AGE=American Gold Eagle

Even the 1 OUNCE Gold Buffalo and 1 OUNCE AGE are both $50 Denominations Look at the Reverse...$50

2014 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin (GB5) – United States Mint

Last edited by John91C; 08-16-2014 at 12:24 AM.
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think someone is thinking st. Gaudens $20?