Blowout Cards Forums
Coupon 02

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

COINS & CURRENCY Post your coins, currency, & precious metals hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coin Roll Hunting?

Was bored one night and came across youtube videos of ppl coin roll hunting. is this something some of you have tried? or heard of?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Some people do it in bulk. Some of the penny guys buy a sorter (to get the copper), dump a box in and let the machine do it's thing. I've done some misc rolls but not much. Success rate varies; use a bank someone uses as their dumping bank and you won't get much of anything. Either way, it's worth a try.
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Heard about it and read about it. You need to have a few different banks, one you can buy from and one you can dump at. There is a forum I check from time to time where guys have searched thousands of dollars in coins.

Been checking my coins for the past few years and in all that time I have found one silver war nickel.
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Not worth my time. I read about it a few times and it seems that silver is hard to come by now.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I mostly coin roll hunt for pennies to pass time at night. I get them at one bank and drop them off after I am done at another. I have never had any success searching for silver. I have gotten a couple $1000 dollars worth of quarters and have made one find. I have heard half dollars are better but are super hard to get for some reason. My bank always turns me down on them.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

ive had luck on finding silver just from my change from soda machines or change machines. 4 quarters and 4 dimes. its not gonna make me rich but i enjoy finding them. might give the coin roll hunting a try and see what happens
Old 02-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been through 50+ boxes of cents and, before people really did a lot of searching, about 200+ boxes of half dollars. Used to do really well but the silver is all but totally dried up and not worth the effort.
Burks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
I've been through 50+ boxes of cents and, before people really did a lot of searching, about 200+ boxes of half dollars. Used to do really well but the silver is all but totally dried up and not worth the effort.
im still gonna give it a shot. i wont be losing any money doing it so worth the shot.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its not worth all the time and effort. Op will find that out soon enough.
Wickedroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedroller View Post
Its not worth all the time and effort. Op will find that out soon enough.
im not going into it hard like i see the ppl on youtube do. im not that wealthy to do a couple grand at a time so. wont be much time or effort for me
Old 02-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

If your going to try it go to a bank like Wells Fargo where you must be a member and order a monster box of $500 worth of halves. This is the only way you can order from them and probably other banks are the same way? The rolls are from Loomis where I live and are machine rolled. I have heard a few people getting lucky and finding some silver 1965-69 Kennedys 40 percenters mainly. You can also buy the tub/bin of coins from the Coinstar machines but they usually reject silver coins because of the weight difference.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

If I know I've got a few days off coming up and no plans, I'll pick up a box or two from the bank just to kill time and see what I can find. I've done 2 $500 boxes of Halves and got 1 90% Kennedy and 1 40% Kennedy in the first, and 1 90% Franklin and 1 90% Kennedy in the other. It is a lot of work for minimal reward, but there is silver in them. I also do $100 boxes of nickels and usually get 1-4 War Nickels/box. Dimes and Quarters suck.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

I only search penny rolls for wheat pennies, something fun to to and pass the time on the weekends. My wife has started to join in looking through the rolls so it's something that both of us can do and enjoy it
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Don't bother with boxes of quarters. They are so heavily circulated that they are super difficult to find any silver in. Halves are lightly circulated and they usually stay in vaults and offer a little better chance at hitting some silver. If you can convince your bank to sell you the bags off of their change counting machine, that's probably going to be your best chance for success. I've had a couple decent scores doing that, but nothing crazy.

I tried roll hunting a little a while back, but didn't score enough to keep me interested. If I stop in the bank I always ask for any loose halves and large dollar coins. There is usually at least a 40%'er in there if they have a few bucks worth for me. Good luck!

Last edited by Onions; 02-01-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've experimented with this a 4-6 years back, focused my experiment on halves, dimes, and nickels. Did a range of 6 months visiting around 5 different banks along with some restaurants whom I knew the managers and stop by from time to time. Spent probably around $370ish on coin rolls. These are my findings:
12x War nickels
2x Barber dimes
1x Mercury dimes
6x Roosevelt dimes (all 1964)
2x 40% halves

Interesting enough, also got 2x 1967 Canadian dollars, 2x $1 star notes and a $20 star note from the restaurants. It was a fun experiment but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon especially since more people are aware of it now thus leading it to be more scarce.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckendor07 View Post
I only search penny rolls for wheat pennies, something fun to to and pass the time on the weekends. My wife has started to join in looking through the rolls so it's something that both of us can do and enjoy it
if you are searching for wheats id be throwing the coppers to the side as well
id like to have 2 55 gallon drums of copper pennies. I already have one but if do anymore I will buy a ryedale
Old 02-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

I used to do it for nickels and dimes.

Going to start up soon and try halves and quarters.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Some people do it to get copper pennies (pre-1982, which at today's price has about 1.7 cents worth the copper (illegal to melt, but can be sold as coins). There are machines that will sort them in bulk.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

I did probably about 50 boxes back in 2012, found about $1300 bucks worth of silver.. which is about $700ish now
Old 02-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

I missed out on a possible hit in the CRH department. My local bank holds rolls of halves for me, but they sold it to another guy because I hadn't been around in three days. Its kind of like selling a case of cards, you don't want to know what was pulled out of it.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

I don't know, I find it fun. I buy rolls from the bank a few at a time. So far I have found 2 Indian Heads, 5 Steels, 1 Double Die, and 12 rolls of wheats. As far as silver goes, I don't have a count overall but I have 4 dimes, 2 Quarters, 9 Nickles, and 8 Halves that I have found since July (I sold all of my silver in July so I don't know how much I had found before) I only buy a few rolls each payday (haven't bought any in 3 months due to holidays). I usually do $20 a payday. 1 Quarter, 1 Dime, 2 Nickels, 2 Pennies
Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

hey guys on for instance quarters are there any that has value like from 65-72 or so forth? I have not dabbled in coins much but my wife works at a bank so i could probaly buy rolls pretty easy any help would be appreciated and are dimes and any pennies worth anything?
cwbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbennett View Post
hey guys on for instance quarters are there any that has value like from 65-72 or so forth? I have not dabbled in coins much but my wife works at a bank so i could probaly buy rolls pretty easy any help would be appreciated and are dimes and any pennies worth anything?
65-72 aren't special unless they're absolutely MS+.

Ask her to grab any wheat pennies she finds in change, they're the easiest to spot and also the most cost effective to raid out of change.
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

65-70 Kennedy Half Dollars are 40% silver.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

my grandmother brought me a roll of halves today she said she found them in here lock box and had them ever since her father passed away. i thought she was sitting on a roll of all silver open it up and its all post 80's half dollars.