Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Comic Book Grading / Auto Authentication

I wanted to get the comics that I got signed authenticated, but I'm not sure where to begin! I've seen PGX and CGC on Ebay for comics. Is one better than the other? Will they also authenticate autos? Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad to see this community on here. Makes me want to get back into comics!
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about PGX (heard bad things about them) but CGC will not authenticate unless they (a CGC employee) witness the signing. They use to use representatives but they stopped that awhile back...now it has to be witnessed by a CGC employee.

You can send in an auto'd comic but they won't authenticate it as SS it will only say "name written on cover" and you will get the dreaded Green Label.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

If it is for YOU, then I wouldn't see an issue with either.
PGX, per off-hand remarks here and there, is supposedly to have a slightly more lenient grading scale
Then again,the same comparison is made in sports cards between PSA and beckett.
If you check ebay fort a card you will see the PSA version of a 10 sell for the same or a bit lower than a BGS 9.5, so the hobby swings that way as well
The difference with those 2 companies is that a Vintage card from ,say 1950-1970,will command a HIGHER price from PSA than BGS as BGS is suppose to have a weak grading scale when applied to 50 year old cards....get it ?

With comics there is no difference,everyone kneels at the alter of CGC and urinates on PGX. I have reviewed copies graded by both and TBH a 9.8 is a 9.8 and if it is for you,save the 10.00 + and go with PGX

I am not into graded books,however,were I I would have issue with CGC simply because of something I seen BGS doing in the past at large shows....preferential grading and back door actions. Such as people guaranteeing CGC 9.8's on the forum for comic con books that were supposedly not in hand yet. I undeerstand playing the odds,everyone does, but when the books are being handed out 1 at at time ,per person, how can you offer 20 of a book for sale and pre-grade it 9.8 and then get it slabbed to sy the same ?

Either Jimmy Carson is alive and working at CGC or people are making assumptions and have friends in low places or back door deals and preferential treatment is taking place.....I digress, I know, but I can't help it In the case of a book that was limited to XXX and only offered at that show and appears to CLEARLY be signed by the artists....why wouldn;tt you grade it as SS? Doesn;t sound right,does it ?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys! This is more for me to just have these books encased and protected. Since it's for me I guess either service could work.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
Thanks for the info guys! This is more for me to just have these books encased and protected. Since it's for me I guess either service could work.
Go my route

Andy sent me several books, 2 were personalized by Rob, Chew #22 and Poyo #1
Having both Framed professionally just because they are personalized Granted it will cost the price it would be to get 4 books graded,each book, at least I will enjoy it more and it can be displayed effectively and others can enjoy it
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why get it encapsulated at all? I would use archival comic bags (2-4 mil) with archival backing...frames those up, much cheaper than grading!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've used PGX many times in the past. They're a lot cheaper than CGC, and just as stringent on grading, just don't carry as much weight on aftermarket sales due to them being 2nd in line in regards to history in the market. There's nothing wrong with PGX IMHO.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I've used PGX many times in the past. They're a lot cheaper than CGC, and just as stringent on grading, just don't carry as much weight on aftermarket sales due to them being 2nd in line in regards to history in the market. There's nothing wrong with PGX IMHO.